1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Applying for jobs today

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by capvan, May 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

I'm 61 and have been un-employed for the last year. College degree, advanced medical training, always had a good job until now.

They don't hire OLD people. Laws are bullshit about this. Experience, loyalty just doesn't count any more.

If you're over 60, better start picking up cans by the roadside. There just isn't anything out there...

2. creteham

creteham Member

Most of the large employers around here make you apply through the state "Workforce Development" office, which is a part of the state Dept. of Labor. Guess what? Typical Gov't. operation. No one there knows anything, doesn't really care about what they're doing, and a good number of 'em barely speak English! If you do manage to find anyone who will even let you apply for a job that you KNOW they're supposed to be taking applications for, and are a white male between 30 and 50, there's a good chance the app. will wind up in the circular file before you're even out the door.

Terry

3. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Ya don't have to be 60 to be disciminated against. Starts about 50 in construction, even though you cannot prove it.

4. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Some here have said fill out applications. Well I have been out there looking for work for over 17 months. I haven't found anyone that take applications they all want you to send your resume.

If you apply to 20 jobs a week you need 20 different resumes(addressed differently)not to mention cover letters.

Forget applications that doesn't happen until after your first interview.

Bob Lawless

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I feel badly for those of you looking for work right now. It's absolutely brutal in many areas/oocupations right now. Education has always been my advice for increasing employability, and it still is, but even many well-educated people are having trouble finding decent jobs right now.

My heart goes out to you, and I hope there's an economic upturn coming soon. I wish I could say the government is helping, but I believe the converse is true.

In any case, good luck to all of you job-seekers. Try your best to keep a positive attitude.

-Gary

6. drh08

drh08 TS Member

I feel for all those applying for jobs also. Having experience hiring people I would like to offer a few ideas that may help you. Take your application and resume to people and have the read it for constructive criticism, please don't take what they say as a person attack, but use this information to help you. Preferable take it to someone that does the work you are considering so you know what and how to say things.
    It's very hard to put into words the experience and job skills you could bring to anyone, you must word it correctly.

People in the older group certainly have a disadvantage when applying for jobs. It's very important to match up experience and skills to the job. You soon learn that hiring an over qualified person for a job is going to make everyone miserable and they won't stay in the job.

As strange as it sounds, if you are applying for a job you are over qualified for, dumb you experience and skills down to that job or you will probably not get a call back when applying.

When sending applications to a screening (which it sounds like most of you are) in electronic format, these are first screened by key words, so make sure you mention key words that you will figure out from the job listing. Note also that the pre-screening will reject over qualified people also

Also note the people hiring hate the pre-screening processes also because we seldom get the the applications of the people we would hire. Our last 3 hires were people that applied directly to me and our HR, however HR rejected their application. If possible do so research on the job and send your resume directly to someone in that department, not the company, and not HR.

Just my thoughts and good luck.

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Over 40 and a white male, good luck. Those are the people that start new businesses. Because, once there out of the system another job is very hard to come by in good times, let alone bad times. That's what I did and I made a hell-of-a-lot more money running my own game, rather than working for someone else. And that was in bad times......... Good Luck, I feel for you.

8. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I'm glad I retired when I did at 58. Even though my retirement is below what I would have made full time the last few years I worked I was on a week off a week working construction. So in actuality I make more now when you avaerage it out. Trouble is I have no COLA's so if I live too long (which I doubt) I'll be in poverty. I have 2 daughters that are out of work so I know how tough it is for people to find a decent job other than minimum wage.

9. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

They (Ohio) want to send me to school to learn a new profession at 60 they will pay. I practice what I preach "it will be a waste of tax money (you can tell I am a conservative) to send me to school to learn rocket science in time to retire".

Instead I plan to take some 17 year old's job and flip burgers for a year. Most likely at two places.

Rock

Jim

10. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Start your own business. Use all that experience to your advantange. I have been self employed for 50 years, now retired. You can do it, the country needs people like you. Don't wait around expecting others to help you, do it yourself.

Tom Strunk

11. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Get a farm, unfortunately you have a job for life. I'm 73 and would like to retire but what happens to the farm?

That said, I have a friend that is 59 years old and lost his job about 6 months ago. Younger people with less qualifications are being hired and they tell him there are no openings. He is living in one of the hired hand houses on the farm until something breaks. 1200 bucks alimony and nothing coming in. It's the new stimulus package provided by the great obamie. R

12. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

It never made sense to me. Companies would rather hire young people with less experience. Typically they leave after a couple of years. The companies would have a better and more loyal employee from an older person. Usually a harder worker too. But companies are run by stupid people. That is why we are in the shape we are in as a country. Our country is full of stupid people in high positions. I have been at my current job for over 15 years now. I have watched the young people come and go. Most were worthless employees. We have had one stay that was a good worker.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.