1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Appliance ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 635 G, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

We are in a brand new house & the light that says replace filter came on after 6 months. Is the light a just a timed device or does it sense water volume.

Phil Berkowitz

2. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

You mean replace the filter?

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Thanks Rick, another senior brain fart.

Phil

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

You don't say which brand refrigerator, so tough to answer the question.

The water system typically has a flow sensor (light driven) and the service filter light should be based on that, but not 100% so.

It MIGHT mean there is dirt, etc. in the line not the filter - how is your ice / water production - has it suffered recently??

When you do decide to replace the filter - shop around. Prices vary considerably and you can pay a small fortune or next to nothing depending on where you buy

5. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

The refrigerator is a whirlpool.

Phil

6. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

It's a timer

7. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

We have the same Ref. When the light comes on it's time to change the filter.

You can reset it, but you can taste the difference before long. Also, the water flow will slow down.

Cartridge replacement, if I recall, is about 30.00. A two pack is a little cheaper.

Regards.....Gerald

8. schneep

schneep Member

I set up an auto reminder with direct shipment with Amazon, The price is lower that way and when it comes in the mail, I replace it.

9. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I have a huge whole house carbon filter that filters everything coming out of the main. I replace it every 6 months. I thought with the primary filter the secondary filter on the frig wouldn't have to changed often. The only water in the frig is for the icemaker.

Phil

10. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

If you have a whole house filter you can take the one out of your reefer

11. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

When we first got ours the light came on and was putting out a little less water. The ice cubes were not full size. I went on Ebay and bought a pair from buy-it-now store.com for $54.75. I changed it and all was fine.

Now the ice cubes are getting too big and I searched how to adjust the water timer. Well I adjusted it over and over and it makes no difference. Usually about three will stick together. I have reset the filter light two times without changing the filter and all is still working fine. I wish the filter would get a little stopped up to make the cubes a little smaller.

At least I no longer dirty ice when they worked on the water lines outside as before.

Then I found a pair on Amazon for final amount of only $10.39. They were $50.49 with $6.05 shipping and handling.then less - $6.05 super saver discount, less - $10.10 promotion leaving a balance of $40.39. Then for making application for their credit card another less - $30.00 leaving the final amount only $10.39 for the pair.....what a deal and they shipped super fast.

These were the Whirlpool 4396841 PUR filters that just push in.

Next time the light comes on again I will just reset it and not change the filter. I will wait till the water supply to the ice maker requires it.

I did loose about 94 cubic inches of shelf space, which is about one shelf, with the wide plastic spill proof trim around the shelves. I will never buy another one with these shelves.... Ray

Came back to edit....I do not see how a filter can make larger ice cubes.......All the filters I bought were genuine Whirlpool filters in a Whirlpool 2 pack box. The larger ice cubes started at a different time from when the filter was put in. The web site tells you how to adjust the amount of water that goes to the ice maker by use of a timer on a water valve. Mine just does not adjust. Of course it is out of warranty now so I will just live with it. I just wanted to point out that I did NOT buy faulty after market filters.......

12. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Phil, I too have a whirlpool type frig. and the filter is $40.00 at Lowes. Home Depot is $5 more. You can find them on line, but you never know the quality (extra big ice cubes). My light comes on timer based. The new filters you buy say on the package that they are good for 6-9 months. In your case with outside filters I'd go 9-12 months. You may have to take filter out to reset the light or read your frig. booklet to find out how to turn off. I can push my frig light 5 times quickly and it will turn back to green. break em all Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.