1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Apple vs Vista?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by chatbrat, Dec 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Bought a new desk top with Vista, perferred my old XP. Would have I been better off with Apple?---Got a bud on the way to Best Buy for a new desk top---what would you recommend---Phil

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Quick, click this link, study up, and get him on his cellphone before he makes a big mistake!

Neil

3. bgf

bgf Active Member

Phil,

No brainer...stay away from Vista at this point. In two years maybe.

You can still order a custom built from Gateway with XP that will be expandable when Vista becomes clean and has the peripheral software compatibility. BTW, Gateway is the only company offering the XP system as an option...but only via custom configuration.

Or, go with Apple...you pay more but it is a great operating system.

Bernie

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

My nephew is a wheel with Intel here in AZ., his advice? Buy a MACSHOOTER. Hap

5. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

The Insider: Tech pundits take dim view of Vista

NO VISTA RAVES: As technology pundits looked back at the year, they weren't handing out many presents to Microsoft -- and particularly not to Windows Vista.

We perused the commentary and offer this sampling:

Wired News: The Top 10 Heartbreaking Gadgets of 2007: No. 6: Computers Running Vista. Quote: "Maybe someday Microsoft will perfect mind-control technology. But until then, we're free to have our own opinions, like: 'Keep that new Microsoft OS the hell away from me!' "

Gizmodo: Microsoft Year-End Report Card: B-minus overall, D for Windows Vista. Quote: "Let's cut the blather about new functionality and early-adoption growing pains and all that: New operating systems are supposed to run smoother than older ones."

CNet Crave: Top 10 Terrible Products: No. 10: Windows Vista. Quote: "Any operating system that provokes a campaign for its predecessor's reintroduction deserves to be classed as terrible technology."

PC World: The 15 Biggest Tech Disappointments of 2007: No. 1: Windows Vista. Quote: "Five years in the making and this is the best Microsoft could do?"

Michael Gartenberg of Jupiter Research also notices this trend and offers his own take on Microsoft's one-year-old operating system:

"I'm starting to think of Vista a little like sushi. I don't love sushi. If it's around, if it's prepared well, if it's fresh, I'll eat it. I rarely go out of my way to eat it, but if there's an alternative, I'll usually eat that. If you ask me if I like sushi, I'll usually say it's not bad."

But hey, putting Windows Vista aside, there's some solace for the company on Time magazine's list of top 10 video games: No. 1: Halo 3. So maybe these year-end wrap-up things aren't so bad for Microsoft after all.

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

chat, it depends on what you do with your computer. I've run Vista business since January with zero problems. There are some programs with programs not running under XP emulation, but it is a problem with the way the program cwas coded, not Windows. All my hardware and peripherals worked from the first instant, and were automatically set up.

So I go back to what you do with a computer. If you require programs that only run under Windows, you choice is clear, because dual booting is a pain, and Windows emulation on a Mac is still primitive. Plus, many programs write to the physical hardware, and require specific drivers for graphics cards, etc. There is a world of difference between drivers for Mac hardware and everything else.

So if your friend just wants to surf, email, play tunes, word process and the like, buy the Apple. Service Pack 1 for 10.5 didn't fix the underlying problems, buy the next on is scheduled to. After that, it will be a really good OS.

However, I'd think twice about an iMac. Apple is having ongoing problems relating to heat, power supplies and display failures (and partial failures). There are many, many pissed off people when they hear Apple's policy, and what the are going to be charged for the repairs. The same applies to the 20" and 23" stand alone displays, but not the 30". I'd buy an Apple, but it would be a mini or laptop or desktop. I wouldn't buy an iMac right now, even though I think it is the slickest of the bunch.

7. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

I don't game, I use my computer for surfing, e-mail & storing photo's---when my laptop crashed it was the biggest pain in the A-- to transfer info from my external Western Drive to the new Vista operating system--two trips to the Geek Squad -& upteen minutes talking to India,etc----if I knew then what I know now I'll consult this site, there is a world of info here way way beyond the world of trap shooting----Phil

8. Baber

Baber TS Member

This is pure BS "However, I'd think twice about an iMac. Apple is having ongoing problems relating to heat, power supplies and display failures (and partial failures). There are many, many pissed off people when they hear Apple's policy, and what the are going to be charged for the repairs. The same applies to the 20" and 23" stand alone displays, but not the 30". I'd buy an Apple, but it would be a mini or laptop or desktop."

No such problems.... this is a myth. Pure BS.... Apple is having no more problems that anyone else.

Don't saddle yourself with a PC. I am trying to set up a Video Conference with other members of my Family. I have a Mac with everything built in and the other side is a POS PC. Its taken HOURS to dope out the installation of the camera on a XP machine. Plug and play is a reality with Mac very doubtful with PC. Had to buy the Geeks on Call service.

TB

9. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

I have Vista and it is a PITA. It has too many "security features" built into it and is always asking if you really want to do this, etc. IMHO Ron

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I needed three new computers, one for me and one each for the kids.

I hate Vista with its bloatware and crippleware.

So, I ordered three refurbished computers with XP.

Further, we're standardized on XP at work, with a few 2000 machines running IIS and servers running various OS's.

Vista is NOT being embraced, and we've got the leverage to make Dell continue to supply us with XP, though they refuse for ordinary people.

Further, some of our workers have bought Vista computers, and a lot of our software will not run on them. And hardware in our office often has no Vista driver.

It's bad enough that the planned "no longer supported" date for XP has been extended.

If Vista is the future, count me out. I'm looking at going Mac or Linux.

11. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Just had my son build me a new computer, and he put Windows XP Pro back on it.

Works for me!

Hauxfan!

12. Dan S.

Dan S. TS Member

I just checked on a Dell with XP and they do offer it so anyone who says Gateway is the only place in town hasn't checked.

13. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

On good days I build Computers. I have worked with both P.C. and Mac's. P.C.'s are very good all around when being used with XP. As it is and has been with Microsoft they have to get the buggs out before an operating system is worth it's weight. Look at all the security updates there are and have been with XP. But, most of this is cought up on it does make a very good ops sys. Macs. As it stands now I recomend staying away from Vista for awhile. Let Microsoft work out the buggs. The only nice thing I can say about Macs. is I hope you have a big wallett when you go purchase one. Sure they are safer and all but with care and a good Wall program or Anti Virus XP works just as well. It isn't a matter of what you cand do I can do better. But Mac does have it over P.C. when it comes to Cad work. It can be done on a P.C. but I understand it is much faster on Macs. But for the price and repairs a P.C. is much cheeper in the long run than a Mac. Not only that but you have to take a Mac to a reputable Dealer or even send it into Apple in order for it to be repaired. Parts are not redily available for them as they are for P.C.'s. Rich.(inPeoria,A.Z.)

14. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Dell has been offering PCs with XP on it to anyone who asked/insisted. I still have machines running XPSP2 and don't plan to upgrade. SP3 is just around the corner and will increase the security of XP to Vista levels.

BTW Phil, the post I placed just after your last didn't seem to stick. I suggested that given your usage you should take a serious look at the Apple notebooks if you decide to dump your Vista desktop.

15. Brian in Oregon

MasterBlaster, quote: "I just checked on a Dell with XP and they do offer it so anyone who says Gateway is the only place in town hasn't checked."

Two people in my office tried to order Dells with XP in late November, and Dell specifically told them that XP was not available period for 'consumer' purchases. They bought another brand instead.

If what they told you is correct, Dell has had a change in the last month.

Wouldn't surprise me, because I'll bet that policy has cost Dell a lot of sales.

Vista is the "New Coke".

16. pgithens

pgithens Member

I used Windows for years at home and for since it's inception professionally. I'm stuck using it at work. I spent years with the responsibility of keeping Windows secure and stable . . . nearly an impossible task. We've been using Vista since before it was GA. It is, in a word absolute and utter junk. Quite possibly the worst, most bloated OS ever to come out of Redmond.

If you must buy Vista, equip your PC with AT LEAST 3 gig of memory. All flavors of Windows get less efficient with memory utilization over time but Vista starts that way.

My XP system died earlier this year (BTW, XP was the best personal OS Microsoft has ever produced). I looked at Vista then bought my first MAC. Read this closely . . THERE ARE NO HEAT OR OTHER issues with the Mac OS and the hardware. You take far more chances with Windows-based h/w since they are all in a price war. They put the cheapest components possible in. I have not had a need to run any of my old Windows s/w (which, by the way, would not work on Vista). My Macbook is lightning fast with one gig of memory, I'm not affected by spyware, or viruses (yet), and I don't need 17 patches per week.

No regrets or problems switching to Mac. I can highly recommend it. Those that say there are problems with the MAC OS haven't used it.

17. Dan S.

Dan S. TS Member

Brian...I just spoke with our Dell rep and he verified with me that XP Pro is still available. You don't have to be a business. Yes, Dell has been "pushed" to bring back XP as an option. Tech discussion boards have been talking about it for a while. I've never been real sure what the difference is between clicking on "small business" and "home" when you want to buy what you need. The biggest thing to be careful of if you do that is to understand the warranty offerings and their differences. Most businesses are open during business hours so "on-site warranty" means that you have to be available for the service tech whenever he shows up. That may not be realistic for most home users. Other than that, there is no issue ordering a business PC for use at home. Order what you need. I often advise clients that they need to search by "desired features" not suggested use.
    On another side note, I just read an article that claimed that Vista's security has caused it to be the least pirated of all the Microsoft offerings. I think not. NOBODY WANTS IT. Not even for free!! LOL

18. Brian in Oregon

Masterblaster, I know what the Dell rep told us as late as Novemeber. I had our workers hand me the phone when they were trying to order XP from Dell, and I got it straight from the rep on the phone, not second hand. And I tried to order three Dells with XP last September for myself, and was told XP was absolutely not available for anyone but large corporate accounts, which is why I ordered refurbished HP machines with XP. And we tried the small business angle as well as consumer.

Dell has apparently suffered a de facto consumer boycott of that policy as people simply look elsewhere for XP, and has changed their policy.

If the Dell rep is telling you otherwise, he/she is LYING.

---------

On a different subject, many consumers don't understand the warranty. They think Dell is going to "restore" their computer. No, Dell will simply replace the hard drive and make sure it boots. It's up to you to reinstall all the software and your backed up files.

Which is why people need an external backup device. For example, something from the Maxtor One Touch III family. It's one of the more simple backup devices to use, and if you pick the right option, it can restore your entire computer, once it will boot and have the Maxtor software installed.

I work with Dell all the time, and generally I just have them overnight the part(s) to me and I do the work myself. Less annoying than adjusting my schedule to match theirs.

19. Bob M

Bob M Member

Howdy all. I have been a Mac user for about 20 years. I would recommend a Mac to anyone looking for a new computer. Their slogan, 'It just works.' is true. I haven't heard anything about heating problems on the iMacs either. Concerning the question concerning extra hard drives and nics to an iMac, you can use external Firewire or USB drives for extra storage and if you needed a second nic, you could add a USB nic. The on-board port and an Apple airport would give you two network 'ports' as well. If you are in need of serious power, you don't get an iMac, you get a Mac Pro. Up to 3 TB of SATA internal storage and dual quad core processors. I am not sure what anyone needs that much power for, though.

To those who NEED to run Vista or XP specific software, there is this option for any Intel-based Mac:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/bootcamp.html

You can set the machine up to dual boot into either Mac OSX or XP/Vista. It doesn't make the machine safe from the XP security issues like OSX.

Linux is a great option to explore as well. It is free, stable, and runs real fast on older hardware that can barely fun XP. Ubuntu is a great starter distribution to 'play' with. It will run on almost all PCs and will walk you through installing it as a dual boot system. Keep winders' and add Linux. Just my thoughts. Your mileage may vary.

Bob

20. Wayne of PA

Wayne of PA Member

I bought a new Dell lap top with Vista approximately a month ago. Shipping was free and Dell had to door step within a few days.

I have had no problem with my new Dell what so ever. I think its all in the user. Its just like reloading shells. Some people have a hard time keeping the reloading consistently working 100% of the time.

Mac’s are a great computer. My supervisor swears by them and wouldn’t use anything else. Again for Vista I think its all in the user and the knowledge they have in the computer. As for me sitting on the couch here with my wireless lap top has been great.

Dale,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.