1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Apple to start manufacturing in the USA

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 548, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 548

548 Guest

Apple will begin moving manufacturing jobs to the US from China. The CEO was quoted as saying he doesn't feel Apple has a responsibility to create a certain kind of US job, but he says they do have a responsibility to create US jobs.

I love Apple products. Three iPhones, two iPads, and four iPods in my house. This is a good move for Apple and I hope other companies follow the lead.

2. TD1958

TD1958 Member

One problem may be that with our goverments efforts to destroy or allow the break down of US jobs theses jobs may be very well needed but on the low end as far as income goes. Not complaining by no means but it should be considered. Thanks and good news, Tim

3. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Labor has finally gotten cheap enough here in the USA to the point that making stuff in China is becoming cost prohibitive.

4. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

At least for once 548 has made a good post

5. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Tron has hit the nail right on the head. no more union labor left here and low income laborers from evry other country in the world here in our work place.

6. 548

548 Guest

Catpower, all my posts are good. You just have to change your perspective.

7. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I can't think that low

8. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

It is a business decision. Apple shares have dropped 23% in two months. They probably want to leverage this into convincing the various levels of government into switching to Apple from the Blackberry. I suspect they also want to improve the quality of their products. Bill Malcolm

9. 548

548 Guest

There may be elements of truth to what you posted Bill.

However, my experience is that the "quality" of Apples products is second to none.

10. Beretta687EELL

I read an article a few months ago that stated that Apple users have spent billions repairing and replacing defective Apple products. They don't bounce very well (LOL). They are the new Microsoft with crappy software upgrades that require "fixes". I have an i-phone and a Shuffle and I like the products and the features, but they are way more expensive when compared with other Chinese made clone products. JMHO. Bill Malcolm

11. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Seems only fitting, being the largest company in America, in value.

12. Beretta687EELL

Here is a link to the 23% drop in value for Apple that I mentioned above.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/top-business-stories/down-23-in-two-months-apple-shares-under-siege/article6017651/?utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_source=Business%20Ticker&utm_type=text&utm_content=BusinessTicker&utm_campaign=99873298

Bill Malcolm

13. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Click.

14. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

iPhone is designed in CA by Apple, made in a Chinese factory own by a Taiwanese company, who also own and use couple Japanese display board manufactories that has U.S. shares.

The average monthly wages in that Taiwanese owned factory in China is approx. US$400~600. Company provides housing, meals, & insurances, which is approx. 20% higher than average worker in China, and 50% lower than Taiwan.

We looked into the labor market in China for our customers, it's very different from any developed countries. No union is one of the biggest advantage besides low wages. EPA regulation is also very costly in developed countries.

The low wage assembly jobs of Apple products is almost impossible to move back to U.S., but other high paid engineering jobs might.

15. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Doesn't Apple have a problem with the Chi-Com manufacturers selling product out the back door? I'm sure I read there were even Apple Stores in China, run by black-market sellers

16. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Well, the factory that assembles iPhones are guarded like a bonded warehouse in the U.S., very difficult to smuggle out any products, human rights are not a concern as far as searching the workers. National police are assigned to protect these highly valuable foreign industries.

There're no pre-release photos of iPhone 5 is a good example of how tight the security is, most iPhones on the black market in China are counterfeits. You can mail order them from Hong Kong. There're "Apple store look alike" shops in China.

Our US Apple stores see frequent "bused in" Chinese tourists to buy full price Apple products in the mall.

17. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

N.F.W.; I'll believe it when I see it; my bet is that they don't. If labor gets too expensive in China they'll move to India. Apple has been a leader in the sell and manufacturing (Chinese) of their products and shareholder have also been rewarded. Labor costs in China remains a fraction of America's labor costs. Even if we would work at minimum wage we're still not competitive; also, consider the costs of setting up a plant and the high costs of machinery. Based on the foregoing, no way they'll manufacture (except for perhaps some assembly) products here. My bet is that they're testing the waters for some government money or for political reasons. BT100dc

18. crusha

crusha TS Member

Do you remember how the Clinton Administration went to war with Microsoft?

Apple does.

Apple has money out the ying-yang; so much in fact, they don't know what to do with it.

So, in addition to starting to pay dividends on their stock, why not buy a little good will with the US Government, by manufacturing a legacy product here (which will represent a shrinking share of the market, anyway)?

By the time you figure in the tax breaks, it won't hurt them that much. (And, you know...there WILL be an Obama photo-op involved, don't you?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.