1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Apple computer help

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by esoxhunter, Mar 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I recently purchased an Apple computer. (OSX 10.4) It's taking some getting used to compared to the Windows XP that I was using. What I can't figure out is that many emails that I receive were sent using the Windows format. Some like MVP, (movie attachments); I just can't open. The computer does not recognize this and alerts me that it can't open the file. Is there anyway to rectify this? Thanks. Ed

2. Mac V

Mac V Guest

There are video converters available that are supposed to convert some of the Windows file types to the .AVI file. I've never used one and I don't know how well they live up to their hype. There's a link for one above^^.

Mike

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

This link will get you what you need, Ed.

Neil

4. tachyon

tachyon Member

Start by downloading Windows Media Player for Macintosh.
    link to download page is here. Also download the flip4mac that is also on that page.
    Flip4mac handles wma etc if they don't have any digital rights management built in to the file.

I like to use mplayer for a lot of the various movie formats.
    Download page here. Be sure to download the right one for the right version of the operating system.

There is also a number of codec plugins for quicktime which will allow quicktime to play various obscure video formats/codecs.
    Perian has a number of plugins for quicktime which takes care of many of the obscure formats.

Bruce

5. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Thanks to all of you for the info. I got the Windows Media downloaded. Now when I get an email that won't open; I just open Windows Media and place the unopened file into that and I can see it. I might be doing it a little on the "crude" side, but at least I can view the attachments. That's what you get when you were brought up in the age of slide rules and pencils instead of calculators and computers. Ed

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Ed, I too was led to flip4Mac by my guru and I downloaded it from the site provided by Bruce above. My guru says he's had quite good success with clients that needed an upgrade from the Windows player that doesn't support MAC 10X alone. A shortcut for something that doesn't wan to open, I'm told is to just drag and drop the item you want to view on a QuickTime alias in your dock and it will go through that to the flip4mac. I haven't tried that yet but will soon enough....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.