1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

appendicitis - how do you know

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BDodd, Dec 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Yeah, go see a doctor soon! Even a walk-in clinic if you're away from home.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

2. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

BDodd has it right! Go NOW! Jake

3. Shotgunbutch

Shotgunbutch Member

Lie down on your back. Have someone put their fist in the middle of your stomach. They then push down slowly it until their fist is down about as far as it can go. Then they take their fist out as fast as they can. If removing their fist hurts like hell then you probably have appendicitis. If that hurts get to a hospital fast.

Arn

4. smartass

smartass TS Member

Yes, this is certainly the place to come for medical advice- DAH.

5. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Take two asprin and log on here in the morning.

6. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

If you're reading this, YOU SHOULDN'T BE!

Morgan

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Appendicitis can be difficult for a professional to correctly diagnose. The suggestion by Arn (rebound pain) is not exclusive to appendicitis. If you have pain in the area and a high WBC count, it is probably time to get cut. Appendectomy is a quite simple procedure until the thing ruptures. I hope you read this post after you get discharged. Your local ER probably needs the business now before the drunks start coming in. Merry Christmas.

Pat Ireland

8. mike T

mike T Member

I work in a x-ray dept. If it was me with what you describe I would be in a ER ASAP.....

mike t

9. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Remember doctors kill more people than guns.

I'm really shocked that nobody beat me to this fact.

10. oletymer

oletymer Member

I had appendicitis and what you describe is what I felt. I went to the doctor and he sent me to the hospital to have it removed. They showed it to me and then what a normal one was. Mine was about 3 times normal size. As others have said, get to the doctor.

11. thespan

thespan TS Member

Piranha,

I hope that you are reading this post after you have been properly diagnosed and treated.

Appendicitis presents in many different ways. However, one fairly consistent symptom is anorexia, in other words, loss of appetite. That is more consistent than fever, etc.

Also, if the pain began around your belly button, then Appendicitis is more likely.

In any case, if you still have symptoms, and haven't been evaluated, then get on with it. A ruptured appendix, even today, is a formidable complication.

Best wishes,

Peter Greenspan

12. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I had mine out right at the end of October. My middle son and I had antelope tags in Montana, so we took off in late afternoon. I'd started developing what I thought was an intestinal upset in mid afternoon, and let my son drive while I dozed from Island Park all the way up to Lewistown. I didn't feel much like eating that evening, and felt a little better when I tried to dump everything out that night, but still not good. The next day I still felt some discomfort and dozed most of the day in the truck while my son and a friend hunted. I drank a little juice and water Saturday, but didn't eat, and was still feeling poorly so went to bed when we got back to the motel. I slept fitfully, and got up a few times through the night to go to the bathroom. By morning the pain was more localized in the lower right belly, and felt like a bad groin pull if I lifted my right leg or tried to roll over. By afternoon we decided to head for home since all the antelope were behind "No Hunting" signs, and I was still feeling poorly. At home the next morning I was having diarrhea, do called my doctor and got in to see him in the afternoon (by this time I had a pretty good suspicion it was my appendix). He listened to my symptoms and asked who my surgeon was. I went to see the surgeon, and he sent me over to admitting while he booked a surgical suite. He took it out late that afternoon. He tried at first to do it laproscopically, but it had already ruptured and was a real mess, so used a traditional incision. I asked him later when he thought it had ruptured, and he said possibly even before we headed to Montana. Anyway, you asked what it feels like. For me, it started with central abdominal discomfort, turning into what felt like a bad groin pull on the right side.

13. John Stefanowicz

John Stefanowicz TS Member

agree with most of the above - my appendix blew, and I toleraterated it for 24 hours, until ambulance, ER, worst pain I've had, unlocalized except lower abdomen, had peritonitis, they told me I almost died, and I believe them. Deny the difficulty, if you're stupid, like I was, for the 24 hours it took it to explode, (sending what is in your intestines into the body cavity, filling you with you know what). Dr. John

14. smartass

smartass TS Member

Dr. John, what were you filled with?

15. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

"Remember doctors kill more people than guns.

I'm really shocked that nobody beat me to this fact."

Don't be!

Most people have more class than to contribute something worthless like that to someone who is obviously concerned about their health and looking for some direction.

Morgan

16. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Uh Capt. that was an attempt at parody. The man has gotten plenty of good advice and hopefully he followed it and will be cured.

If you've been around here long enough you know that once every couple of months someone posts the statistical horrors of going to a doctor as opposed to owning a gun. A totally ridiculous argument, obviously.

Usually that post surfaces in situations like this and gets properly ridiculed.

Merry Christmas and I certainly hope piranha is just fine.

17. scottheid

scottheid TS Member

I can not believe that you would ask this question here. Maybe dr. ireland can cure you cause he sure knows everthing else. What a joke. Scott

18. smartass

smartass TS Member

Sad to report that his appendix burst and he croaked.

19. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Not real complicated. Tender in the right side, white count real high. That will pretty much tell the tale. Course, if it were me I would be taking advice from trapshooters over the internet rather than seeing a doctor. I mean, after all, if it ruptures it will just most probably kill you. Jake

20. tomk2

tomk2 Member

Looks like he forgot to take his laptop to the ER with him to keep us posted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.