1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Apparently Nellybelle is up for auction....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, May 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apparently the whole Roy Rogers museum is up for auction, including Nellybelle.

How many of you remember this jeep? I only saw it in reruns.

(Edited: I mean Roy Rogers, not Gene Autry. The Jeep was mainly driving by Pat Brady, and I mixed him up with Pat Buttram.)

2. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

You would look good in that Brian.

Yeah I remember Nellybelle, along with Roy, Dale, Gene, etal.

One of my ealiest memories is going to see Roy Rogers when he came to town to put on a show. Ever kid in the place and there were thousands of us "packed" a cap gun into the place. When Roy came out riding Trigger everybody banged away on their gun - into the air. Ah, the smell of burnt caps and noise, still can't get enough even to this day.

Can you imagin what would happen today if thousands of kids showed up at an arena with cap guns today?? They would surround the place with the Guard.

3. pfofml

pfofml Member

Do you suppose his md 12 trap is going up for auction also?

Peter

4. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

So refresh my memory here. What was the purpose of the metal enclosure- looking front plate and tall doors? Sort of gives in an armored car look.
    I fully remember the conversations that the sidekick had with NellyBelle when she got stubborn after her feelings were hurt. What was the sidekick's stage name on the show, or was he just Pat Brady?
    dju

5. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Peter Falk

"Do you suppose his md 12 trap is going up for auction also?"

Yes from what I can get from the website above.

[​IMG]

This is the one that will be auctioned and this is the caption that is with it

"The Winchester Model 12 Pigeon Grade shotgun that Roy purchased from Clark Gable when Clark was having a bad day at the trap club became Roy’s favorite shotgun, and includes Clark’s original name tag.

BTW the auction company lists all of RR guns. You can even purchase Trigger, Buttermilk, and Bullet. Of course as Brian said Nellybelle also

Bob Lawless

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    What a beautiful Model 12!

I was wondering if the enclosure on the Jeep was to keep mud and water out, since it had no doors. The front part over the cowl seems to mainly serve as an anchor for the upper door hinge. The factory had doors available, as did aftermarket suppliers, but only on the removable hardtop and on the ragtop.

7. ivanhoe

Brian according the the web search that I did one site said that in talking to Roy Rogers Jr he told them.

"Roy Rogers Jr. says he is too young to know the details of the origin of his father's Jeep. Despite the apparent armor plating around the front, which bears a strong similarity to the U.S. Army armor installation kit seen here, he says he is not aware of Nellybelle having been military surplus. The U.S. Navy did use some civilian Jeeps painted Navy grey,

[​IMG]

Brian what is also interesting to note is that Nellybelle was a Willys 1946 CJ-2A. although RR Jr doesn't know if it was military surplus it could be. The armor could have been cut down and left on th vehicle for the factor of being able to hide things inside for some of the stunts they used to do on the TV show. Just a thought.

If you go to the first website I posted with the info about the model 12 there is a list of the auction dates and places you might get some more info.

Bob Lawless

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Ah Man, that's so sad to hear their closing the museum.

I remember Roy and Dale from my youthful days in Apple Valley California in the 50's.

Getting old sometimes just, sucks....

Jim C

Hell, Michigan

9. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

"You can even purchase Trigger, Buttermilk, and Bullet."

You're absolutely right, Jim, it's sad.

10. ivanhoe

Jim C It is only sad that they have closed the museum(December 13, 2009)it is also sad that it went unnoticed(or at least unmentioned)by the show business community. The only place you could get any information was at the RR and DE official website where RR Jr posted this message(on the website) very early last fall.

I have still at this time not seen any comment from the entertainment industry. That man was to many youngster a hero and something they believed in.

The modern day Hollywood bunch knows nothing of loyalty or they might have been able to do some type of a benefit that just might have kept it open for a while longer.

Bob Lawless

11. shrek

shrek Active Member

Seems to me that the fact that the Roy Rogers museum is closing and being sold off with no mention in the press or by the modern Hollywood bunch with no effort to do anything about it is another indicator of how pitiful society in general has become... :-(

12. patrick Swartz

patrick Swartz Member

BISI
    I went to a memorial for a long time shooter from PA.He had been a shop teacher before retirement.One of the shooters that said a few words was one of his past students. He told about buying an old side by side from his teacher and working on it in shop class. When they got it all finished,he took it home on the school bus.When I read your post about all the kids with cap guns,I thought about this. I got to see the Cisco Kid in 58 or 59 at the opening of a new shopping center in Muncie,Indiana. Thanks Patrick Swartz

13. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I did get to visit the museum in Apple Valley and there were some of his personal belongings there also. One item was a lot of his old wrist watches. I enjoyed the visit very much. I still like the old westerns and have collected hundreds on VHS tapes.Ray.......

14. BigM-Perazzi

"Whatever happened to Randolph Scott
    ridin' the trail alone?
    Whatever happened to Gene and Tex,
    and Roy, and Rex, the Durango Kid?
    Oh, Whatever happened to Randolph Scott,
    his horse plain as could be?
    Whatever happened to Randolph Scott
    has happened to the best of me."

Statler Brothers

15. ivanhoe

I like this version just a little better.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aDKdXEZWauI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aDKdXEZWauI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Bob Lawless

16. BigM-Perazzi

Maybe we can move it all to the Trapshooter Hall of Fame.. ;-)

17. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Our generation is going, going, not quite gone.

The days of the type of people that RR and DE were is quickly dissapating....

18. Hollywood Marine

Hollywood Marine TS Member

My aunt, silent actress Anita King took me to the LaCanada gun club one summer afternoon. While we were there, Bob Stack, Clark Gable, and Roy were shooting a little trap. After they finished, aunt Anita introduced me to them and for a few golden moments, I got to hold in my ten year old hands the beautiful model twelve pictured in the response above. at the time, meeting roy and holding his gun was the biggest thrill of my short life, and I guess it is still in the top ten.
    I am saddened to see the Roy Rogers memorabilia being auctioned, and only hope it will go to folks who will apprecieate the fine man Roy was.

Doug Humble

19. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

What a great story Doug!!
    There were some of RR's guns sold at auction at Rock Island auction co. several months ago.
    A couple of M-21 SxS traps with gold, engraving etc... I think one of them had a ATA insignia on it. Perhaps a gift??
    I thought that the Clark Gable M-12 may have been sold there also...evidently not.
    In Dave Riffle's M-12 book there is a pic and story of the Clark Gable gun
    with a pic of RR kissing it.

20. ivanhoe

acorange

"A couple of M-21 SxS traps with gold, engraving etc... I think one of them had a ATA insignia on it."

I believe that this is one of the guns that was auctioned a few months ago it was a gift from Winchester a custom made one of a kind item.

Bob Lawless

[​IMG]

I sure would like to know what it sold for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.