1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

apex question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fishkiller, Oct 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fishkiller

fishkiller Member

I recently picked up a hornady apex 3.1 loader with all the bells and whistles. only problem it has is that the gas assist on the index is weak. since they are discontinued I am curious if any of you might know where to find a replacement cylinder.

2. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Have you tried Hornady? Even though my Apex has long since been discontinued, Hornady still had every piece I wanted to purchase for a rebuild so I coan get another 10 or so years out of it. Honrady is a wonderful company to deal with. They have always been quick to respond and been very helpful. If you haven't yet contacted them, do so. You might just be pleasantly surprised.

3. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

You might consider removing the "spent" cylinder and operating it manually . My experience was that the "gas assist" doesn't really assist - - it smooths the indexing and with "time" you can do that just as well asn probably faster .

Charlie

4. wm rike

wm rike Member

Years ago I was told by Hornady that most RV dealers carry that little gas strut. Seems logical - if Hornady didn't actually make the struct, I doubt they would set about to incorporate a hard-to-find part.

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I had bought another used 3.1 last year through TS.com ( a smooth tx I might add!) and I would take Charlie's recommendation.

Its not too much work to remove the index cylinder assembly and I think I needed to purchase the "knurled foot" used to actuate the index arm (I can't recollect if I needed an index arm also?!).

The whole process took an hour or so to get up and running, but I much prefer relying on my arm than the "assisted" version.

BTW, Hornady is running low on some parts for the Apex models and the purchase of some parts are not available... I needed to replace the primer tray and the Apex was not available... bought the 366 version and swapped parts to make a replacement... just be aware.

FYI and with regards,

jay

6. twaggenspack

twaggenspack TS Member

My gas assist went out also. I fixed it by placing a spring over the gas cylinder and up against the frame. It works as good as the cylinder did.

I'm thinking about trading my 12ga Apex back to Hornady for a 366. Any comments?

Terry

7. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I have a Apex but mine indexs with a bent rod with what looks like a bullet on it to counter weigh it. It seems to work great, a buddy bought it 12 years ago but was tooo drunk to set it up and had shot jammed everywhere in it, I got it pretty much new for $125. I dont have tooooo many issues with it and havent tried to order any plastic replacements yet, and what are you talking about, tradeing yours back to Hornady?

Jerry

8. twaggenspack

twaggenspack TS Member

Jerry,

PM me and I will explain... I also have an Apex part or two left over if you can use them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.