1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone with an MX15

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ken Mills, Apr 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken Mills

Ken Mills Member

I have an MX15 and I have had issues getting the sight picture I want to coincide with the point of impact I want. In moving the comb and rib around I noticed that my rear sight bead is 7 inches back from the center pivot of the rib. On my other barrel and on the mx10 I previously owned the rear bead was always over the center pivot of the rib. Does anyone know if this is standard of an mx 15 to be back toward the receiver or has mine been altered in some way. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks Ken Mills

2. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Ken, I shoot an MX-15. I just took a look & my mid bead is indeed right over the center pivot point. Mine is a 34" barrel from 2006. I am certainly no expert so I cannot speak for others but I can sure see why you would be having a hard time getting a proper sight picture with yours.

3. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

Ken, the bead on my MX2000 is right over center pivot. Matt

4. Ken Mills

Ken Mills Member

Thanks for the input I figured this would be the case. The previous owner had the choke done my Wilkinson but I don't know why they would have had the bead moved. Thanks.

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Where it's located shouldn't matter as far as alignment goes. Maybe a smaller dia rear bead would solve the problem..

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Ken, there are at least two versions of an MX-15 barrel, and the mid bead position was different for each. The other noticeable feature was the change in height of the post the front rib notches into. I had previously owned each type.

7. JGS

JGS Member

I purchased my MX15 in 2009, and I had Wilkinson work his magic on the barrel that same year. The middle bead is over the center pivot piece.

J.G.Sayle

8. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

IMO,

First, you should be able to see if there's another hole or at least a filled hole on the center location of the rib if your current mid bead had been moved.

I never pay much attention to the location of the mid bead, but all factory adjustable rib I've owned had the mid bead right on the pivot point, which I think it is the logical place for an adjustable rib.

Second, vertical POI is adjusted by the comb hight, your shooting eye is the rear sight. Rib adjustment is mostly for you to match the sight picture. Beads are for your alignment. At least from what I understand.

9. BigM-Perazzi

this is my 1996 vintage mx-15 rear bead. it originally had the brass one.
    the location stayed the same..

[​IMG]

10. Ken Mills

Ken Mills Member

That is how my MX15 is just as the picture you posted above so that must have been standard for it, It seems odd it would be so far back but it seems its changed on the newer ones. Its not that big a deal its just habbit that If I cant stack the beads I want to push harder to do so and to get the POI that I want I need to have space between the beads. I appreciate all the feedback -ken

11. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Mine, also, is a 1996 vintage MX-15 and the rear bead on it is in the same place as shown in the photo.

Bob

12. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Ken, do you have the front all the way down and the back all the way up?

13. Big Lar

Big Lar TS Member

After reading your post, I decided I needed to check my MX-15. Found that the mid bead is 6 inches behind the barrel pivot point, similar to what you describe. The gun was made in 1996 and has not had barrel work done on it.

Big Lar

14. bigben

bigben Active Member

Kenny, I have many P guns, and sometimes two of a model, it seems like Guido at the factory should he get into the vino a liitle too much the night before, he will drill the middle bead anywhere he feels like, that is why you can take two mx-8 etc, or any other model, both with 1 3/8 stocks, bury the beads on one and you can throw a cat through the space on the other. You are too good a shooter to let this get to you, all you have to do is adjust the impact at the front and rear notches with your face comfy on the stock, pound the targets disregarding the middle bead, and when satisfied, put a 7 1/2 pellet on the rib where you want the middle bead to be, where ever that is then remove the middle bead, and affix it to the pellet's location. I shot with an All American who liked a figure 8 that had the K-80 drilled every inch, as the shooter marched back, the comb was raised, the barrels were bent, the middle bead moved, and presto! 24 inches high with a figure 8! incinerate em!

15. BigM-Perazzi

or you can just read the Perazzi instructions for adjusting comb/rib. it's really quite simple.

16. Ken Mills

Ken Mills Member

I appreciate all the Input, I am shooting the gun well and have decide to just move the comb up and not worry about the figure eight. I don't look at them that much anyhow, I just noticed when I bought a new set of 34' O/U barrels the bead was in the center and didn't match the older 34' unsingle barrel and as everyone has said it seems as though perazzi just made them different. Maybe at a bigger shoot I will get them changed to match, I do thank everyone for the help it answered all my questions, Ben I hope to make it up there and shoot again Thanks -Ken

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.