1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone willing to help a SCTP trap team?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by roger8918, Apr 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roger8918

roger8918 Member

I know that this is a long shot but I owe it to the kids to give it a try, I’m putting together a SCTP team to shoot in the PA State Shoot. I have about half dozen kids signed up and a few sitting on the fence due to the costs. At this point the cost of ammo is out biggest problem. I have a few local clubs willing to throw targets for us but the cost of all the practice ammo is adding up fast. We were lucky enough to win 5 flats from the SCTP but it will barely cover the State Shoot.

Whatever you can do to help will be very much appreciated. They are a great bunch of kids who just happen to come from homes that need to watch their budgets.

If you have any questions please contact me. Thanks for your consideration,

Roger Beardsley
    Roger8918@yahoo.com

2. Les Greevy

Les Greevy TS Member

Hi Roger, Where in Pa. are you located? Les

3. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Just south of York.

4. lumper

lumper TS Member

Roger ... just a thought but have you considered totin the kids around to the various shoots at the local clubs and having them help the clubs for the day for donations to help pay for there ammo and other expenses.

5. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Thanks lumper, that is an excellent idea! Maybe that will help get our team a little exposure.

We have been looking into fundraisers but it’s hard to compete with schools, boy scouts, etc. Someone told me about a fundraiser that I believe the ATA has, something about a truck raffle. Sounds promising.

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

Shooters and clubs can be very generous, ya just never know what might happen.

You might also want to think about totin there guns with them as well. If they get a chance to shoot a couple of rounds during the day it could only benefit them as well getting use to various shooting conditions and other places than there home field ... along with showing people who they could/can/would be helping and supporting.

7. smp005

smp005 Member

Roger,

I help coach an SCTP team here in Ohio. I grew up in Gettysburg, PA - my family all lives there and outside York.

We are in our 3rd year and have 87 kids in our program. Our kids shoot a 10 week regular season (50 targets each week)for $40.00 inclusive of shells, targets and a T-shirt. (Fund raising is tough but the money is out there! Shoot me an email or give me a call sometime if you would like to discuss - I have alot of experience in both fund raising and organizing youth shooting programs and would be happy to help in anyway possible.

I may be able to put you in contact with some possible sponsors in your area as well..

I see Les Greevy responded to your post - contact Les for guidance, he's one of the best. I just attended his coaching class back in February - a wealth of knowledge!

Here's our youth program website: http:\\www.chipptrapclub.org I built and maintain the site - it is a KEY component to our fundraising!

Scott Powell
    330-416-9710

8. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Thanks Scott, I sent you a email.

9. OleBlue2

OleBlue2 TS Member

Hey Roger, I also started a new team this year and found help through the
    Friends of the NRA. The have monies to fund programs like this and I believe have partnered with NSSF/SCTP. Find your local rep. get the low down and get the paper work in.
    You should beable to find it on www.nrafoundation.org/friends
    We put in for funds to pay for everything from targets,shells,
    pouches,glasses.and ear plugs. You might also think about going to your
    local lumber yard and getting nail pouches they work great,since the kids
    might not be saving hulls. RP lumber is giving me all I need.also look on the website and Federal is giving us a heck of a deal on top gun for $38 a case/purchase 5 or more cases.I would also check into diana they are selling for $36.50 a case. Good luck and enjoy the fun. Bill

10. wild turkey

wild turkey TS Member

Roger,

If you ever make it around the Chambersburg area I will donate a flat Federal Top Guns towards your effort.

Remove the XX and shoot me an email

Lance

11. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Thanks Lance, you have mail.

12. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

A few years ago a local team had practice shirts printed and had local businesses and individuals pay to have their name displayed on the shirt. A local store donated the shirts and a silk screening shop donated the printing, both have their names on the shirts as well. Sponsors were given a shirt as well. I still have mine. Email me, I'm sure I can come up with a few flats of shells.

Big Dave Borecki

13. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Thanks Dave, you have mail.

14. roger8918

roger8918 Member

I have been involved in other sports but the shooting community is truly something to behold. As a group, they have been the most generous, kind hearted, supportive, and down to earth people I have had the pleasure of knowing.

Thank you Dave, your kindness is overwhelming.

Thank you Lance, I think meeting up at the state shoot would be best that way the kids can say thanks in person.

Thanks for the offer Harry but unfortunately for legal reasons I think its best if we stick to factory ammo.

Roger

15. Bigbird

Bigbird TS Member

Get the kids working at the area trap clubs.

16. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I am involved with the youth program in Missouri. This year as we have done for the past several years, we are raffling off a donated gun with all of the proceeds going into the youth program. New this year, we have offered to match a purchased raffle ticket with a FREE ticket. This kids have the option of taking both tickets back home and re-selling both tickets. This will pay them back for the purchased ticket and they get to keep the money from the sale of the free ticket. There is no limit on the number of tickets they can buy. I was very disappointed yesterday when at our spring SCTP shoot (several hundred young shooters) only 60 tickets were sold and matched. Trapshooting is an expensive sport. We have provided a way to help the teams/individuals raise funds and hardly anyone took advantage of it. Poor response like this makes it very hard to get excited about doing anything else to help.

17. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Hi, Roger...

You have an email from Martin Wilbur. We are willing to help help fund your efforts. We are located in Glenville, PA.

Send Martin and/or me an email.

-Devi

18. nokick

nokick TS Member

Roger,

If you swing towards having any raffles or other types of auctions, let me know and I will donate some recoil reducers to the cause.

Kevin Sheff
    Edwards Recoil Reducer

19. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

Roger,

Send me an address, I will send a donation towards a flat of shells.

luvnbearhugs@yahoo.com

Thanks and good luck!

20. lumper

lumper TS Member

TrapWife ... I can only suspect that the majority of the kids in that program are shooting for FREE and pay nothing to be able to shoot or else they would realize the need for funds and be buying them tickets unless your ticket price is to high. What is your ticket price?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.