1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone using Wolf primers?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Quack Shot, Oct 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

They compare to Wolf primers. I don't use them, since I can't seem to find ANY reliable loading data for them, even for a comparison. They are probably safe to substitute in lower pressure loads, but why bother when I can get primers that are backed by reliable data?

2. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

They chronograph very close to Win 209. They do not elongate primer pockets in Rem STS/Nitros.

3. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Are Wolf Primers and Rio Primers the same?

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

4. OlympicTrapShooter

OlympicTrapShooter TS Member

I bought a flat of wolf shells. And i had some misfires due to the primer.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Gary,

Wolf primers are NOT Rio primers. They are exactly as stated.....Wolf Primers. They are rumoured to be the old PMC primers, but I wouldn't put money on that either. In any case, there is no published data for them, so it's an unknown quantity unless you have the facilities, or are willing to pay, to pressure test some loads.

6. michshooter

michshooter TS Member

I have used over 5,000 Wolf primers in a Winchester AA HS hull, 17.1g Titewad, 1 oz #8 shot, Windjammer II wad for 1225 fps out of my 32in Charles Daly as measured by my Pact Chronograph with no problems. Also used the same powder charge with 1 1/8 oz of 7.5 in a blue duster wad for 1209 fps.

....Paul

7. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I've used 5000 of them already, bought another 20K this fall. Have had no problems and use them for 7/8, 1 & 1 1/8 loads with Claydot in Rem. & AA hulls.I keep my loads at or below 1200fps.

8. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

I've shot ~3K and get about (estimating here) 1-2% ftf's with Wolf's, all in bottom barrel. They are .003" shorter than Win. They are marginally smaller diameter, but are not loose, not worth worrying about. They appear to leave more residue in barrel than Fio's so I suspect they are cooler than Fio, Win, etc., however this is conjecture.

My guess is that the primer specs vary by batch and thus no standard perfromance data could ever be published - you essentially are buying "generic". So, you cannot safely use them in max pressure loads.

Other than the smell, I have had good experiences with Wolf ammo, but I will not buy any more 209 primers.

9. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Zero issues after approximately 10,000 loads with Wolf 209s. Wouldn't go back to anything else, as I've had more misfires with pricey Winchesters than anything. Why pay more for a component than you need to? Keep your reloads at mid-pressure levels per data posted for standard primers and you won't have a problem. My pressure testing with an Oehler 43 shows insignificant difference between Winchesters, Cheddites, and Wolfs. Federals are another story; they are hotter. Fiocchis are softer and generally don't like colder weather with some powders. HTH

AndyH

10. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

We have shot 10,000 of them without a problem. Loading 1 oz with 16.4 of red dot., sts hull, down range wad.

11. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Just finished loading the last of my first case of Wolfs from Recobs.

Used same data as Win 209. I don't see any reason to spend a penny more and will be buying a second case soon.

I load AA's, STS and Nitros with Promo and 700x.

SW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.