1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone using Nitro 100?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Em, Dec 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Understand it is fast so may work only for 1oz or less in 12 Ga

Don't understand why they label it "Not For Handgun Loads"

Pressure range for target 45 loads should be similar to shotgun pressures but somewhat higher

Unstable or too progressive at 15 ksi or some other reason?

thoughts?

2. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

I used to use it for 1 oz. and 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 oz. loads. I quit using it do to lack of availability when I needed more. Now I use Green Dot for everything.

That being said, I have no problems with it. It burns very clean and is smooth too.

Tim

3. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

I use it for 7/8 oz. and 1 oz. I also have used it, till lead went up a bunch, for 1 1/8oz.

As to why they changed the "Old" Nitro 100 to the "New" Nitro but changed loading data and eliminated pistol loads, well I don't know. My thought is that they would have been better to give a brand new name to the powder now called New Nitro 100.

One thing I have noticed is that it is a fairly fine grained powder that seems to find a way for the powder kernals to sometimes slip around the powder bushing seal and collect on the "shelf" of the Apex 3.1 I am still using. I suspect that if I used it in the 366 I might not have that problem.

That said, when I started Nitro 100 (Old) was very price competitive with the rest of the similar trap target load powders (Red Dot, 700-x and the Hodgdon powders) but now that price competitiveness seems to have disappeared with Nitro 100 New going to the premium price powders. When my present supply of New Nitro 100 is exhausted, I will buy more but only if it returns to being price competitive. If not then there are enough other powders available to give me something to buy.

4. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

Just curious, did you change your load from the old powder to the new formulation and if so how?

5. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Been using it for years - leaves the barrel so clean that it doesn't like like I shoot at all. Did not change load for new powder - I drop very light one oz. loads.

6. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Since the density of the "new" lot was enough different to change to amount dropped (by weight) YES I did change the bushing to bring the charge weight into line with what the "NEW" loading data had listed.

I can't recall which was denser since it was a few years ago but there was enough difference to make the change in bushings advisable.

7. pigeon101

pigeon101 Member

I shoot Nitro 100 for singles and first shoot doubles.
    I drop a heavy 1oz load about enough to fill the shot cup on a windjammer wad.
    Not quite a full 1 1/8 oz but a little heavier than 1 oz. works well for me.
    shooting 16.8grns to 17.0grns of nitro w/windjammer out of Win AA's hulls.
    same powder charge w/a TGT12 wad out of STS/Nitro hulls all w/Rio primers.
    Very little recoil while smoking targets from 16yrds.

Jason in PA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.