1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Using New Winchester Handicap Powder

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rayman, Jan 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rayman

rayman Member

Have any of you tried the new Winchester Handicap Powder ?
    What are your opinions, what are you loading and is it a clean powder, hows the percieved recoil?
    Thanks in advance for your response,
    Ray

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Make sure you can find a bushing small enough that drops the appropriate charge!!

3. marotta

marotta Member

Is this the powder that has reduced powder drops ?

4. shrek

shrek Active Member

It is a very dense powder, along the lines of titegroup, if you are familiar with that powder

5. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I am in the trial stage. I am loading 22 gr and it seems effective for a handicap load but not enough me for to switch from PB. Recoil is minimal and speed is there, I haven't checked speed but it seems to be around 1250 as per the loading manual. If I couldn't get my hands on PB I would shoot it.

Don

6. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

What's it called? Isn't Hodgdon making powder under the Winchester label now? If so, it probably is Titegroup.

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I shot it on the 27 last year with Winchester AAwads, primers, and hulls. I plan to shoot it again this year. The powder is very dense, and by volumn is very compact. Great stuff.

8. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Nothing here. Hodgdon.com has data for it, but not description.

9. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Link above is interesting.

10. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Still more.

11. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Even more.

12. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

I thought about using Super Handicap powder, but it took a big price jump at Sportsmans Ware House, along with WST. Long Shot powder $132.95 + tax = $141.95. 10tenner

13. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

I currently use AA Super Handicap powder, combined with Winchester components to duplicate factory Super Handicap loads. Honestly, I can't tell much difference between my reloads and the factory ammo. I'm very pleased with the product. I shoot factory Super Handicaps when there is money on the line, and the reloads for practice and ATA shoots where I'm just getting in targets. It's nice to have my practice ammo and my money ammo so similiar.

As other's have mentioned, the powder is very dense. A #23 MEC bushing gives me 20.7 grains of AA Super Handicap. The powder is very similiar in appearance to Longshot, but gives higher pressures. 20.9 grains of AA Super Handicap, AA Hull, AA White wad, Win 209, and 1 1/8 oz of shot is supposed to give 1250 fps at 11,500 psi.

It's been my experience that this powder like max loads. It's fairly dirty at max/1250 fps. Drop down to 1200 fps, and it's filthy.

~Michael

14. rayman

rayman Member

Thanks for the input. Seems as this is not a very popular powder or it's so new not many have tried it yet. I will give it a try, starting out with the 20.5 gr.
    and Windjamer Wad in a AA hull.
    I've been shooting a light load - 21.5 gr. Unique with the WJ wad in a AA hull my shoulder can't stand much more, Unique is very dirty at this load. I'm hoping the recoil is low and not as dirty as Unique.
    Thanks,
    Ray

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.