1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone using Hodgdon HS-6 or Winchester 571 powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by parrothead, Jun 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. parrothead

parrothead Member

I am currently looking for a 7/8oz 2o gauge load 1300 fps recipe. I found two loads in my manual one using the HS-6 and the other using 571. I have had no experience with either powders, and wonder if anyone here could share some information/advice on either. Thanks-Dan

2. little gambler

little gambler Active Member

Good luck on finding 571 as it has not been made by winchester in 10-12 years. I think that HS-7 was Hodgon's replacement that was exactly the same as 571 as memory serves me, Read the Hodgon manual, I think there is a blurb in there about the two powders.

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Look at LONGSHOT... It worked excellent in high speed 20 gauge loadings..

4. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

If you are using subgauge tubes , stay away from high pressure lods . The crack chambers . HS-6 is the same as Win 540. Jeff

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I just took a peek in the Hodgdon online data center.. There is a ton of data for safe 7/8oz shells with Longshot from 1250 FPS to 1350 FPS.. When I shoot my 20 gauge bunker MX10 barrel..with 7/8oz.. it performs really well.. so I look nowhere else now.. Years ago.. my fast shell was with Alliant HERCO..but Longshot has it vastly beat.. With the pressures in the 10,000 psi range.. it actually burns pretty clean.. Do NOT use Remington,Fiocchi,Nobel,or Chedite primers.. They are not really hot enough..especially in cold weather.. The CCI 209 mag primers.. or Federal are the best choice... AND.. they are LOUD..

6. parrothead

parrothead Member

Thanks for all the useful information! It sounds like Longshot may be the answer. I will check out the online data center.

7. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I have built fast 20 ga loads with Longshot also. Near 1400 with 7/8 if I remember correctly. They work well for pass shooting doves. I think the recipe does require Fed 209 A's.

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

WW 571 = Hodgdon HS-7

WW 540 = Hodgdon HS-6

571, 540, and HS-7 are discontinued. HS-6 is still around for now. Great powders in their time and I still use them for some pistol loads. There are newer powders that work as well or better.

Try Longshot. You should be able to find it easier than the other powders listed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
anyone use hs6 reload

best replacement for hodgdon hs6

hodgdon hs-6 reloading data for 20 gauge
hodgdon hs-6 trap shooting
hs-7 vs hs-6 in 20 gauge
hs7 reloading info
is hs7 the same as ww571
load data for hs-6 20 gauge