1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone using Down Range XL-1 Wads?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jerryw, May 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jerryw

jerryw TS Member

I just received a case of these 1 oz, wads as a gift. I have never used them before.
    I Need reloading data for these to use with STS and AA hulls. I can use Red Dot and Solo 1000 powder. I normally use W-209 primers.

I have been using CB-1100 wads.

Thanks

Jerry Walker

2. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I just bought a few bags of these at the Great Lakes Grand. Today I loaded 100 once fired STS hulls with them along with 1 oz. of 8 1/2's, 17.5gr. of Clays and Fiocchi 616 primers. I'll shoot some of them tomorrow. One thing I will say, they sure loaded slick and the STS's hulls sure ended with a great looking crimp.
    I use this same recipe with my tried and proven Down Range Jammer XL 1 for singles, I just want to try something different.

3. jerryw

jerryw TS Member

Mike,

Sorry I didn't give you enought info. I plan on loading these for 16 yd and short Handicap. I have been loading a 1200 FPS load with Red Dot and Solo 1000.
    Thanks

Jerry Walker

4. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Jerry, I am sure you will like them. My load was STS's,with 16.5 gr. of 700X, Rem. primer and TGT 12S. With the cost increases I now load same with the DR XL-1 and Fiocchi primers. Steve

5. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Jerryw and jbmi,

To me, you have just gotten the best wad known to man! I am a reloading supplies dealer and a reloader. Mike has been telling people about Downrange forever! There was a recent thread on here titled PerazziBigBore?. Me and Mike shared alot of knowledge behind this particular wad. I load them with 7/8 ounce, 1 ounce, and even some 1 1/8 ounce. My favorite load is 18.0 grains of Promo, XL-1 wad, and Chedditte 209 Primer. This load crushes them @ the 16 yard line and beyond. I have also loaded it with Red Dot and REX 1. Red Dot and Promo are basically alike except for drop weights. I have patterned loads and this wad produces beautiful and target crushing patterns! Let me know if you need anymore info, or better yet give me a call when you want some more!

Matt - Woodson Enterprises
    (270) 804-5454

6. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

Great wad. I load my 16 shells with them and Nitro 100 powder. 16.6 grains, with a Cheddite primer. It's also my first shot in doubles.

Tim

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Another who agrees this is a great wad. And Downrange is a good organization.

8. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

Been using them for over a year now and have loaded a little over 11,000 of them so far. I load 7/8 oz and 1 oz with no problems whatsoever through the drxl-1. I have also used the jammer-xl-1 with success, but I prefer the 4 finger to 8 when it comes time to reload them, incidentally I could not tell that they separted from the shot string and fell any closer than the 4 petal ones did. Both pattern well, just depends on if you want 8 or 4. I have used green dot, solo 1000 and E3 all with success behind this wad.

Mr. Mark

9. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Mike and all,

I sat down to load the Jammer XL today. I do believe they are a great wad, but I like the XL-1 (neon green) better. I love the XL series. I have been loading the XL- 1 1/8 alot also. They make great handicap loads. In my testing the Jammer wads do open up fast. I like for the first shot of trap doubles the best! For 16 yard shooting, I am still sold on the XL-1! It just smokes more targets for me. I sell alot of Downrange wads through vending, mailorder, and Ebay! The #1 wad requested in the past 2 weeks is the XXL 7/8 ounce and the XL-1 (neon green). A close third is the Windjammer 1 1/8 ounce replacement. Any Downrange product is good, but still my favorite is XL-1 and XL- 1 1/8.

Matt - Woodson Enterprises

10. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

One night I used the 7/8 Pinks with Longshot at about 1430FPS. I couldn't break a target. Then one veteran shooter asked why I was shooting so far in front of the target. I adjusted and made it to the last 3 shooters using 7/8 oz against their 1 1/8+ pondo loads. I didn't have the heart to tell them what was putting strikes on them. I didn't think their egos could handle the strain. Mike, I am selling a lot of these Pink to the cowboy action shooters, but...... they wish they weren't so PINK. They don't want all the other cowboy shooters to see their PINK wads. LOL Omaha

11. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

Just a question........

If you let the petals get mangled in the shot, does the lead then rub on the side of the barrel as it is shot?

I thought part of the reason for having the shot cup was also to protect your barrel.

Could someone clear this up for me?

I might have stumbled onto a secret of reloading for close in shots!

Thanks,
    Mr. Mark

12. jerryw

jerryw TS Member

Thanks for all of the info. I will try these and see what happens.

Matt you have e-mail

Jerry walker

13. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Jerry,

You have mail.

Matt

14. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Right now, the neon XL-1 is the best one ounce wad ever made for my guns, ~.735 bore Winchesters.

I was really leery of Downrange when they came out, giving samples away and I put those samples to work, they're the real thing.

15. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Another vote for the XL-1. Nice wad.

16. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

DR wads are good, but the original Wind Jammer wads are better in my opinion. BRGII

17. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

The green neon wad,with 18.5 grs of green dot=broken targets.
    JJJ

18. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I use them in both Rem Nitro's and Win AA's. Win 209 primer, 18.2 gr Clays, 1 oz 8 shot. Good for sporting clays, too.

19. tomk2

tomk2 Member

OK. So you have a bunch of wads, and you use a computer. My first stop for load information would be the Downrange website instead of TS.com

"Down Range Jammer XL-1

This bright purple wad is ideal for 1 ounce applications. It is the windjammer style 8 petal top with an outstanding cushion section and over powder cup. High quality, virgin plastic helps reduce barrel fouling.

Please Note:

This wad maybe substituted for these popular wads.

WAA12SL, CB1100-12, Green Duster & Downrange XL-1 Green"

So now you know that you can look up the recipe for your powder, your primer, your hull, and your shot drop from any of the many reliable reloading manuals. Just substitute the Downrange wad with the wad the manufacturer says it is a direct substitute for. And, this method of procuring a recipe works for the Duster wads and the other downrange products too!

Note that the above quote is for the "Jammer XL-1." You will have sucessfuly mastered this course material when you look up the the information for the XL-1 wad you have.

Don't have a reloading manual? For extra credit, visit your powder manufacturer's website and see if they have reloading data for the components and substitute components you want to use.

20. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I shot 6 boxes of new reloads last night to see what three new wads were like
    Shot a couple of boxes of 1 oz. using the XL-1 in Gun Clubs and can't tell much difference between them and my Jammer XL-1 other than the XL-1 was a little easier to reload with only 4 petals. I also shot a few boxes of reloads using Down Ranges XXL wads in Federal Top Gun hulls, again a 1 oz. load felt good and did what it was suppose to. The last couple of boxes were some Estate hulls loaded with 1 1/8oz. and the new DRF-3, again a nice load with good results. As of now I'll use my remaining Jammers but then switch to the XL-1's. If you haven't tried the XXL and the DRF-3 you're missing something. They do a great job in Federal and Estate hulls that everyone seems to want to just throw a way. I'm looking at reloading them maybe one or two times before pitching them, but the way they shot last night they may become a regular for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

down range wads ebay