1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone using Chiappa M4-22LR Uppers on AR15?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by whiz white, Feb 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

whizwhite_2008_0203224.jpg

I ordered in two of the above Chiappa M4-uppers to fit on the local PD and SO DPMS AR15's for training in their indoor range her. Since all LE vehicles are outfitted with AR15 .223's, they have been using bolt conversions to train indoors. The problem here is the cleaning time it takes and not having them back in the vehicles when they head out for the day. It seemed to me and the armorer that complete uppers would be the ticket (no pun intended) here.

We had multiple problems right out of the box. This was unfortunate, as I had intended to sell 20-30 to the departments, and, hopefully the SDHP for training. These are nice looking uppers and even accept standard CAR forarms. The armorer shoots on one of my company sponsored trap teams, and he really liked the idea of not having to rush clean the DPMS uppers when they trained with the 22LR bolt conversions.

Right out of the box we were only able to fire 5-6 consecutive 22LR rounds without a FTF or improper bolt closing. Out of 500 rounds using several DPMS, my tricked-out AR lower (Timney trigger, etc), and even a Remington R15, were only got around 50-75 to fire. I then shot all remaining rounds in my M1911ATI pistol and only one FTF, which must have been a bad shell.

Chiappa had these since Jan 6 and today I am getting them back to test again. The president of the company called twice and told me they would be updated last Friday and shipped out. They are on the UPS truck for delivery today. His word was good. Only holdup was that most of the company personnel were at the Shot Show, and I can't hold that against them.

If you have one of these and care to comment on your experiences, I am all ears.

I have even been in contact with MKS Marketing in OH, the sole marketing distributor for the nice looking Italian made uppers. I have my fingers crossed that they are "good to go." If so, I plan to Cerakote them just for the helluvit.

Whiz

2. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

A friend of mine had one when they first came out as he had a direct connection with the factory. I do not remember exact details but we did have some problems, enough right at the time that I knew I would be buying the S&W MP-22 which I did and am very happy with.

3. whiz white

Weel, the factory and its owner did it up right.

The two I just got back today fired 28 rounds as fast as I could pull the trigger here at the shop and 0 malfunctions. They did say that the early ones needed updates.

They did NOT update my two, but simply replaced them at no charge.

Gotta tip my hat to Chiappa Firearms in WI. GOOD JOB!

I'd considered others, and at lunch today my armorer buddy said the PD wanted to buy them if we could demonstrate that they worked fine - they sure did.

Whiz

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The Chiappa uppers interested me because they were substantially cheaper than the Spikes and TacSol uppers. But in reading the details, I noticed they had a plastic upper receiver. That was disappointing.

Instead, I went with the CMMG Sierra upper. It's shown in this photo on my Del-Ton lower with an AAC Aviator suppressor and an EOTech sight. I changed out the oversized M4 forend for the older, skinnier CAR forend.

The CMMG upper receiver is forged aluminum. Not plastic. The barrel is a dedicated .222" 1:16" twist with integral chamber. It is not a .223 barrel with chamber insert (though CMMG does offer those kits as well).

The only mod needed to the lower was to replaced the notched hammer with a notchless, needed by most .22 conversion kits. Price was the same as the Chiappa at $349 (from Midway, they've gone up to $369 from CMMG).

My upper has performed flawlessly with CMMG and Black Dog magazines. Works with CCI and Rem subsonics up to Mini-Mags, with and without the suppressor. Some other uppers need to be "tuned" for the ammo being used.

And if this one isn't what you want, CMMG makes seven other styles of 22 uppers. And there are several options, including a stainless bolt assembly and other parts, an operational forward assist option, and a bolt hold open option. (The bolt actually stays open on the last shot, but closes if the mag is removed. The BHO option keeps it open even when the mag is removed.)

5. whiz white

Thanks for the info, Brian.

Unfortunately, as with most governmental organizations, PD, SO, and HP, money is their main concern, as long as the item works. I saw this often when we up-fitted all their black-and-whites. I always wanted to put in the best, but price was the driving factor.

If fact, I became a Whelen and Havis-Shield dealer to pass on discounts to them, but could not get them off their Fed-Signal lights... even when I gave them a free new light bar, and all they had to do was buy ONE from me, at my cost. These cost me $230 and I was going to let them have them for around $250 or so. Not a big deal for me, but wanted to continue to assist LE.

I'm using a Timney trigger in both my lowers. I bought Bushmaster, and another non-name brand and then Cerakoted them. As far as I am concerned, all the lowers are the same. I was considering a CNC lower, but just never got that far.

Again, thanks for the info.

I like these uppers even if they are a glass-filled type of plastic, but many of the complete guns run similar uppers. Today, I even applied to manufacture suppressors.

Whiz

6. Donm

Donm Active Member

Is it legal to shoot trap with. After all this is a trap shooting site.

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

trapshooters.com

8. whiz white

Don't know it its legal (not), but we used to shoot trap with 22LR up in Bison SD at the one-horse gun club there many, many years ago.

Now that'll make you a 27 yarder damn quick.

Whiz

9. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I've not read anything but bad about the Chiappa 22 uppers but they would appeal to me for the price if they work. Please keep us informed Whiz. It would certainly be a cheap way to practice.

I don't like the conversion kits with the chamber adapter they dirty up the top end pretty bad and I've heard if you don't get all the lead deposits out of the barrel and gas hole you can have real problems.

10. 682LINY

682LINY Member

now that upper with a suppresor and slide fire stock could be fun if there is enough recoil

11. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I had the same experience with the one I bought. Accuracy
    was nothing to brag about either. I traded it off.

12. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Thanks Sky Buster, I am concerned about that. It would seem to not be a big problem to build a reasonably priced polymer upper with a decent barrel and sell lots of them.

13. Brian in Oregon

Donm, quote: <i>"Is it leagal to shoot trap with. After all this is a trap shooting site."</i>

Leagal? Is that a word? After all this is a "Shooting Related Thread".

14. whiz white

Brian: I just ignore those dumb posts! I think they don't get enough fiber or their shorts are too tight.

The replacement upper shot all 28 rounds out of the mag as fast as could pull then trigger.

As far as accuracy goes, it's not like my Remington 37, but then again I didn't expect it to be a one holer either. It's plenty accurate for whatever we need it for.

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Whiz,

I know you said they replaced the uppers with new ones and you said they stated that the early models needed updates but did they specify what the updates are? Just curious as what was causing the feed problems.

Matt

16. Brian in Oregon

Whiz, are these uppers being used for tactical training?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
chiappa 22 upper problems
chiappa 22lr ar-15 problems
chiappa ar 22 lr upper oregon
chiappa ar 22 upper feed problems

chiappa m4 22 bolt problems

chiappa m4 22 jamming problems
chiappa m4 22lr complete upper
chiappa m4 supressor