1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone using a Precision Fit Stock?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by vdt, Feb 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vdt

vdt Active Member

why do you want to buy one.....

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

A year or two ago I bought a new PFS stock to try . It did,t work out well for me and I found little or no benefit . I was disappointed in the recoil and never got it just right after three months. Just way to much movement in the stock . I found it very hard to call Mr. Brown and most of the time after two or three calls gave up . The only good thing is you can sell a clean used stock fast with little loss .

ALF

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have used a PFS for 5 years and I think it is great. I would never consider shooting trap without one of them on my gun.

Pat Ireland

4. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I use a PFS and love it. My issue was getting it adjusted and leaving it alone. Once I had it dialed in, it has stayed the same. I did loosen up the recoil adjuster a bit when I dropped to 1 oz. loads. Otherwise, just dial it in and shoot it.

I think Mike from New Orleans that used to be a regular and valuable contributor to this site has a mega collection of PFS units, something like 8 to 10 0f them.

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Love my PFS, I bought mine because of the not so large investment. Compared to a custom made stock. One thing I would have liked is a shorter grip to trigger length on mine (browning xt) I also had to add a palm swell to it. Im just used to guns with palm swells. This is a very small detail for me. I set mine as the instructions say. You basically measure your current stock specs and then set up the PFS to those specs. Then adjust as needed or not. If at all possible try some out. It took me some time to get used to the movement, especially on doubles. I bought mine 90% custom adjustability for Left handed 10% was the added recoil reduction.

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

PS, try silver dollar firearms. he has a used one for a TM?

7. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

First time I have ever heard a negative about Vern Brown. I think he is a great guy and I have never had a problem getting a hold of him. I liked my PFS so well I had two wood stocks made for my DT 10s and won't shoot without.

For the $ they are a great investment. If I had an extra $4000.+ I would like to try one of Pat's Stock Lock...but that won't happen soon.

Jon Schorle

8. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Jon I do like Vern and have talk to him alot at shoots . I got the first new style Silver Seitz grip and had a very hard time fitting it . I got all the answers I ask when I did get ahold of Vern .

ALF

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

That would be me.. I really love them.. BUT.. they are not for everyone.. I tell people.. READ THE BOOK... then READ THE BOOK.. then read it again.. I have about a 90% success rate for the PFS.. 10% just don't ever get use to it.. I use it for ATA.. skeet..sporting clays.. bunker and ZZ.. Flawless.. add a VDT comb for some.. not all.. and you have an unbeatable combination.. but you must READ the book.. and have a clue on stock fitting.. All Good.. Mike

10. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Whatevwer MIKE says...ALL IS GOOD !

11. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The rest of the PFS are in Italy.. After they got tired of poking fun at them.. One by one.. the shooters lined up to shoot it.. Most were very impressed.. The ones that let me properly fit a stock to them..(what could an American know about stock fitting???) quickly got great results. The in house stock maker was very concerned that I was not selling them.. Yet..wanted me to fit one of his most difficult shooters.. and then make a "real" stock from the PFS that was properly adjusted.. I'll find out how that came out.. next time I go there..
    On a better note.. SHOOT ONE.. Either you like it.. or you don't.. I perfer the older ones.. but I do have 3 new ones too.. If you have a really thick face.. and need a huge amount of off set.. you'll need the newer ones.. The longer VDT wooden cheekplate works excellent.. but be sure to tell Victor to make yours not to thick.. BTW.. the high top..feels really good..but it should be fit to your face.. People's bone structure is different..and so should the profile of the comb.. There is more to fitting a stock than LOP and cast on or off..
    On a laughing note.. what fits just right?? your wife?? or you "friend".. That's how your stock must fit..to be at the top of your game.. You can live with the misfit for alot of reasons.. but the best fit makes you shoot better.. Ok.. I've said to much already.. but you get the idea.. All Good.. Mike BTW.. If you come to New Orleans on a week-end..I can try to get you fitted up with a PFS.. if you really want to try.. No.. I do not sell them..but without them.. I could not shoot.. I have 3 bad disc in my neck..

12. cls

cls Member

I've owned and used five of them, two of the original and three of the later models. They're fantastic, hands down the best for recoil reduction I've ever felt.

There's only one down side that I can think of. That is after a number of rounds fired it will wear and need some tightening up. For me this was about 5,000 firings.

Very Brown is a first class gentleman of the highest integrity. Buy one, you'll like it. cls

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I've never bought a new one.. but I've gotten them in all colors.. I guess you can powder coat them.. paint then..do all kinds of stuff to make them pretty.. To me.. I just shoot them..

14. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

Don1911

i require a lot of cast on and could not get enough with an adjustable comb so it was wait on a custom stock or PFS now. and the PFS has a lot more adjustments.
    i like how it functions but truthfully i would prefer to look at a piece of turkish walnut.

so like steve spurrier said "if it didn't matter who won or lost they wouldn't keep score"

ernie

15. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I think Vern gave up on the colors. I know you can get the new one with a gold anodizing on it, but I think thats as exotic as they get anymore, other than std silver. I suppose they look unique enough as it is for me w/ out having to colorize it LOL.

16. old tex

old tex TS Member

Best way to fit and reduce recoil at the same time ever!!

Vern Brown is absolutely the best - like others this is the only thread I've ever heard a critical word about Vern.

They aren't pretty but they work if you take the time to read the instructions or call Vern.

Oldtex aka/Dick Lindsay

BTW I have 3!

17. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

First I must say that Vern Brown is a class act. When I needed to talk to him he was easy to get and answer all my question on the PFS. I just sent my PFS stock back to him to check it out because I though I had a problem with it. I got the stock back in 2 days no charge. After my wife talk to Vern they found out it was the new thicker jacket that cause the problem. I would buy another stock from Vern again.
    Ok. I got the stock for my wife because the Beretta stock was to long and I didn't want to cut up a EELL wood. The PFS stock was easy to adjust and the fit made my wife pick up the last 3 or 4 birds so now she can run 100 straight.( on a good day).
    Recoil was not a problem with the Beretta stock so the add recoil device was a bonus. If you really want a stock the fits get one. I my self like a nice piece of wood but you just don't have the adjustments that make a good gun better.

18. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

Pfs with over 100,000 rounds and still ticking!

Never seen a service dept.

Love the ugly thing!!!!

Regards

19. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I've had a couple, but always went back to a regular stock.

Why.......Well, the PFS does what it says, it tames the recoil, but I could never get used to the trigger guard coming back and hitting my middle finger. I didn't really like that.

I'm not telling anyone not to buy one or to buy one. I am only relating my experience.

Good luck to you whatever you decide.

Hauxfan!

20. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I bought mine used, called vern for some questions, He walkied me through, to set the recoil to where it is from the factory

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

precision fit stock hydro dip

precision fit stocks painting