1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone using a Dillon shotshell reloader?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by L21L39, Mar 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. L21L39

L21L39 TS Member

I was wondering if anyone has a Dillon shotshell reloader and what their thoughts on it were? I have a Mec 9000 and am looking to upgrade.

2. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

This has been covered here just recenlty and quite a bit. There was a thread about customer service, but I couldn't find it. It started off negative, but the owner posted up on the thread and made everything right as rain.

Bryan

3. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

I have been using a Dillon SL-900 for about 10 years now. I had one problem picked up the phone called Dillon and parts were shipped No Charge. It has been a very good unit. Mine is with case feeder and powder alarm. I would recommend one. They are great.

Ken Cerney Wisconsin

4. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

The thread that Calkidd was referring to is above. If you choose to read it read all of it to see the positive outcome.

I own a Dillion SDB it is a very good loader everything is fine so far. I have never owned a shotshell loader but I wouldn't hesitate to do so.

Bob Lawless

5. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I have both---Mec 9000H and a Dillon---Love them both---The Mec is my favorite because of the H---The Dillon is great also--Cut a slot in the primer tube so U can watch the primer drop---Good to go---George@SJB---

6. higun

higun Member

I’ve had a very good experience with the Dillon in terms of both performance and service.

7. addictedtotrap

addictedtotrap Member

I have had great service with mine and with Dillion, you ever get a chance to go to Scottsdale and see them in person, they are great folks to deal with...

8. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Never needed service or parts. 7 years running, 3 gauge machine. Approx 60k rounds thru it and counting. Dave T.

9. quartering

quartering Active Member

mike makes miniguns for the military and such. his reloaders are of the same quality, precision and speed. plus all of the back up systems: no hull, no powder drop; no wad, no shot drop. no bushings. all that kind of stuff. it's nice. innovative design. excellent engineering. exceptional operating ease. you'll be impressed. you'll like it. good luck with it

btw, youtube dillonaero, if you haven't already

10. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

I have one and really like it. i load 12ga on it. I got it because I've had several metallic cartridge loaders from them and think the world of the company.
    The adjustable powder & shot drops instead of bushings is a very nice feature. I like the no shell = no drop part too.

They take a little breaking in. When I first got mine it was a little squirrelly but it seems to take a little wearing in. Now it runs like a top.

I previously loaded on a PW & MEC. Both good machines but I like Blue the best.

11. ThorsDad

ThorsDad TS Member

Once you go Blue you'll never go back Jay .

12. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

I have had red and gray, Blue is the best hands down.

13. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

It's hard to beat the 9000 (used to have a G)for the money(back then they were $195 ;-)), but the physical effort to operate the Dillon is SO much less than the MEC. Also, the hull feeder is a real advantage with the Dillon. You "never" let go of the handle, you just feed wads with your left hand. The 9000 needs to have the wad guide on the left side. It seemed like all you did was grab and let go of the handle. Also, the downstroke on the 9000 MEC almost needed both hands for me, the Dillon almost cranks itself.

I started out on a 250 and personally believe the Grabber is more dependable/consistent than a 9000. Once I got the Dillon, the others began collecting dust. My Dillon, over 10 years old, might fail to drop a primer (1 out of a 100), but otherwise is a real joy to operate. It chews up components so fast that you get to feeling like you're being interrupted.

14. Big Dog Dad

Big Dog Dad Active Member

I bought a used one from a true gentleman in Ohio two years ago. I brought it home and disassembled it down to every last screw, nut, and bolt. It was quite a learning experience, but it gave me a better understanding of what everything does. I have loaded trap shells, including the steel based Federal from Walmart without a problem. This is after I used a MEC 9000 for about ten years. I would highly recommend Dillon if you understand there is a learning curve involved. Again, great machine and better than great customer service!

-=BDD=-

15. L21L39

L21L39 TS Member

Thank you to everyone who responded. The information has made my decision easy. Daryl

16. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

L21L39 Just a thought you should consider. You are the guy buying it and paying the money for it.

You should make your decision based on how you like it not on how everyone else likes it.

Remember you are the guy that has to live with the decision. Plus live with the machine. I am not saying you are making the wrong decision just make sure you are the one making it. BTW Good luck what ever you decide.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec or dillon shotshell reloader