1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone using 7/8 oz. loads?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Didreckson, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

In my evolution of trap shooting the last two years, I have gone from 1-1/8 "turbo" loads for 16 yard, down to 1 oz. loads pushing out at just under 1200 fps using 700X.

I am having great success with the 1 oz. and was wondering if there were several shooters moving to 7/8 oz? The recoil is so much less with the 1 oz. I was thinking (dangerous I know) that if the pattern was still strong with 7/8, that would be even less kick. There are reloading formulas for 24 gram loads, which I believe as just a pinch under 7/8, but no true listings for 7/8. Is my assumption correct they are very close?

No particular driving force, just a continuing education in my shooting. The 1 oz loads truly crush targets from the 16, and probably would work back quite a ways.

2. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

There is one guy in our club who is actually shooting 3/4 oz loads for singles, but I don't know of anyone using less than 1 oz load for registered targets. Personally, I shoot the maximum the law will allow - 1-1/8 oz for everything.

hubcap

3. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

I load either 7/8 or 24gm, it just depends on which bushing I decide to use, with the same data. I loaded 19.3 of 700-X under a Baschieri & Pellagri T2 wad (Ballistic Products' 078 Lightning) with the appropriate amount of shot, either Remington or old AA cases with Win 209's. I've been using this load long enough that I'm still shooting ones that were put up in once-fired Premiers.

It's a stiff load; according to the manual, it's a 3-dram load going about 1325 fps. But recoil is not severe; I have shot in a t-shirt and regularly do so with a lightly padded shooting shirt in warm weather (which we have a lot of here in Tucson). And it's as consistent a load as I've found.

Now that I can't get 700-X in (relatively) cheap 12-pound kegs, I've gone to Clays - something like a grain less, the exact amount escapes me - with no difference.

Most important to me, it's a load I have confidence in more than any other that I've tried. It's the only load that's never left me with the feeling that I did everything right, the bird should be in pieces and WTF is it sailing along, lost, to break on the ground? Is it really that much better? Don't know and don't care. I believe in it, and that's what matters to me.

Perhaps a heavier shot load would do very well. But I wouldn't switch. I'm delighted with it, enough to put up with the comparatively hefty price of the wads. i'll leave whatever I can't shoot to my son when I go to that trap field up yonder, as it were.

Tony

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Didreckson,

Try this Hodgdon recipe:

17.0 grains titewad

Remington TGT 12 wad

Winchester hull and 209

7/8 oz of what have you.

This load is good for about 1250fps. Very little to no recoil. works very well on 20 yd crossers with a IC choke (sporting clays). I shoot this load a lot in sporting and whenever I shoot doubles this is my first shot load!

ec90t

5. lytnin1

lytnin1 Member

IF you go to 21 gr Clays Inter'l and an AA 24 gm wad, Win or Fiocchi primer, you will get same speed as Clays BUT 2000 psi less pressure. Been shooting this load on 15 metres and "bunker trap" for years now. A very soft , fast load and easy on the shells

6. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Why not shoot a .410 and be done with it?

7. Rip12

Rip12 TS Member

Yes, I smoke them on the 16 yrds with 7/8 ounce! 1250 FPS 16.4 grns for Nitro 100, claybuster lightning wads, Win AA hull. 2.99$ per box of shells at 27.00 a bad of lead.
    You like marathon shooting these are the loads.
    Its like shooting a pellet gun compared to 1 1/8 oz.

These loads are the only reason my wife is shooting. I suggest them to anyone if they have an open ear. Good for new shooters and training the basics. I have been shooting trap since I was five years old and all I ever shot until recently was 1 1/8 oz.
    Rip
    Semper Fi!

8. fiftystr8

fiftystr8 TS Member

I tried a few a couple weeks ago. There wasn't a miss in the 2 boxes I loaded up, so needless to say I have a case of wads ordered up for them. They do a good job for me and they patterned well. 17 grs Promo, Claybuster CB0178 wad, WW209 primer. I don't know if I would use them for handicap, but from the 16 they are great.

9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

With 7/8oz loads you have less margin for error vis a vis 1oz or 1 1/8oz loads. With that understood, 7/8oz loads will save you money and recoil, and make you a better shooter.

24g is 375 grains. 7/8oz is 383. Load data for 24g is usually in the 1325fps or better range, because they are used in International Trap. It is OK to use them, but I prefer 7/8oz loads speed matched as closely as possible to my other loads. That means 1150fps. That helps my shooting and saves a little more money and recoil. Just by way of example, my 1oz load @1150fps delivers 12.87 ft/lbs of recoil in my gun. A 7/8oz load at the same speed delivers 10.73, or 2.14 ft/lbs less. A 7/8oz load @ 1300fps delivers 14.1 ft/lbs, or 1.23 ft/lbs MORE than the 1oz load.

My standard 7/8oz load is STS or Gun Glub hull (for some reason the Gun Glub hulls work a touch better), STS209 primer, 16gr Red Dot, Federal 12S0 wad and 7/8oz hard #8 shot. I often go to 15gr Red Dot and 7 1/2 shot. That's softer yet and throws an even tighter pattern. You can go to 8 1/2 or 9 shot for singles and open the pattern a little.

BTW, getting everything to fit and work well for 7/8oz loads is a bit of a challange. My load fits and works well and returns SDs around 10. That's way, way better than most 7/8oz loads under 1200fps. I have not had the time to try DRM's new purple 7/8oz wad yet, but several others have and report good results. That wad is cheaper and lighter than the 12S0, so you'll save even more money and recoil.

Have fun trying 7/8oz.

10. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Thanks everyone. I thought there might be several shooters doing that, especially from the 16.

Saving money is not the motivation, but just becoming a better shooter while reducing recoil. I could not find 7/8 recipes readily on the web, but 24 gm. I was pretty sure these were very close, so that will work for a starting point.

Appreciate the feedback. I kept hearing about the 1 oz loads and was in the bigger/faster/badder camp until I loaded up a few boxes and started shooting them. Maybe it is a patterning thing, but 1 oz. crush targets great. I hope 7/8 do the same with less kick.

11. My-stores

My-stores TS Member

I like the 24 gram at about 1300fps... Good for everything but from the 27 I shoot my 1 1/8 ShurShot at 1255fps.. close enough..

12. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Save your breath JBrooks. Too many people didn't attend or failed physics. Besides, all the more money for us.

Buz

13. My-stores

My-stores TS Member

Actually.. If there were a 410 league..I'd shoot in it..As long as the playing field is leval.. I'd shoot 22 rat shot.. With the price of lead still rising..I could CERTAINLY see a 1/2oz of #8.5's or even 7/16ths of an ounce in a tight plastic wad at 1300 fps.. Like sub gauge skeet.. I think at 16 yard..the cream would still rise to the top.. maybe even more so.. Where ever the killing efficency stopped..say 21 yard line.. maybe 22 .. you'd go to the "BIG" 7/8oz back to the 27.. Scores would not be as high.. but it would be fun.. All Good..

14. richrob

richrob TS Member

I have been shooting 7/8 for hand trap and skeet, decided to pattern it to see if it would work for trap. I averaged 318 pellets in a 30" circle at 35 yards, 350 with my 1 oz loads. Im a believer now.

Remington Hull, Claybuster TGT, 16 gr promo, Fio primer, $2.92 a box, and you cant even feel them hit your shoulder when your shooting. -Rich

15. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

ZZT, I have been using your load for the last year, until about two months ago, but 16.5r grs and Fed209A primer. I am now using fiocchi 209 primer, 16 gr 700X, DRG XXL 7/8 oz Pink wad. I seems to me there is more recoil when using the 12SO wad. I had been using the 12SO before the XXL Pink wad with this load. I Might try the 16.5 grs RedDOT, and the XXL Pink wad. 10tenner

16. My-stores

My-stores TS Member

There is more perceived recoil with the 12SO wad.. it's much stiffer in the base section..but patterns very well..very fast.. at very long ranges.. The XXL.. with the double X legs compress at an increasing resistant rate..which give the perception of softer recoil. I shoot alot of both of them..usually at 1300 FPS..and 24 gram.. I have loaded over 150 pounds of Promo in the last few years..and if you go to the Alliant section and look up INTERNATIONAL LOADS..you find some great ones.. I have also loaded down to 3/4oz..of 8.5's with the XXL.. and 16 yard targets just vanish..good for first shot on doubles.. longer yardage or second shots.. go to #8's.. All Good

17. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

10Tenner, the 12S0 wad weighs more than 10gr more than the other wads. That alone raises actual recoil by an amount you'll notice.

The second reason you feel more recoil is the Fed209A primer. They definitely add velocity and recoil.

BTW, I called the DRM 7/8oz wad purple. You called it pink. I have been corrected. It's fuscia! lol.

18. lumper

lumper TS Member

Before Neil points out the obvious that you are allowed to shoot 2 shots in international trap I will say ... yes Neil you are correct but in international trap the targets are thicker, they fly farther and faster, they fly at wider angles and varying elevations as well and if you miss on the first shot the 2nd shot is even more difficult because the target is now even farther away flying faster than an ATA target while flying at possible wider angels and different elevations as well.

Now the reason I said the above is International trap shooters have been using 24gr or 7/8oz loads for years and they break targets. Yes some use 1oz and even some use 1-1/8oz loads to practice and they are also allowed in some competitions but overall 24gr/7/8oz loads are what is used.

Now if they can bust em up and inkspot them into dust on targets that are thicker, smaller, fly faster at far different elevations and angles then they should slam the bejeebers out of them ATA birds all the way back to the 27yd line and beyond.

Find a good recipe and load up a bag full of wads worth and give them a try and you might be highly surprised at how well they do for you.

Now for those that must have and need the heavy loads because it is allowed basiclly tells me your not confident in your own abilities and that you need all the help you can get ... if you can break them with a 1-1/8oz load from the 27yd line than you can also break them from the 27yd line with a 7/8oz load as well ... it aint the shell, it aint the gun, it aint nuthin but the shooter.

Good luck with 7/8oz loads ... personally I shoot off the shelf factory load 1oz shells for everything unless it's reloaded 7/8oz/24gr friends have given me and I have not been really able to see a difference.

19. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

ZZT, you are right, the 12SO wads does weigh more, I do remember you or someones else noted this, and I did compare them. And your right about using the Fed209A primer! I gave a box to guy who never shot 7/8 oz, and came back and asked what load it, was it he said "it just crushed the birds". He was skeptical until then, and he tried them at first shot at doubles never missed a first bird, then at the end of the round he had a broken second bird, after shooting his first bird, and put in his normal 1 1/8 oz load, his head came of the stock from recoil, and he missed the second bird. ZZT thanks for the input!! 10Tenner

20. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

In the battle between ignorance and reason...ignorance will always prevail because it doesn't have to justify anything.

Buz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.