1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone use Win WST Super Target Powder?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Dec 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I was in a gun store today and they had a 8lb jug of WST on consignment for $90.00 and I knew it was a good price so I bought it. I have never used it before and wondered if anyone used it for trap? I mostly load 1 oz or 1 1/8 oz for trapshooting and it appears that is the range for loading this powder. What's your opinion of this powder? Thanks for your response. Jackie B.

2. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

From my experience it was a very dirty powder. That was ten years ago, so they may have changed it. Very much residue and powder left in the barrel.

3. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I have been using Winchester Ball Powder for over 30 years. Unlike Stl Flyn, I think it is a very clean burning powder. Maybe the choice of primers makes the difference. It has had several names such as 452AA, Winchester Super Target, WST and at least one other I think. I load 18.2 gr. mostly using AA209,Rem209,AA & fig 8 wads. You got a good buy at 8lbs for $90. Larry Evans

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Super target is a little picky about which wad you use. It works great in AA shells with AA or clone wads.

Lots of bloopers with Windjammers, the factory told me to use high pressure wads only. (And they gave me 4 lbs of powder for the trouble I went through.)

HM

5. autogun

autogun Member

I've used it for years also; it is very clean burning for me. 19.5, 1oz, AA wad and hull, W209 yields 1180 fps and around 7500 psi-- winchester book load. You did well.

6. autogun

autogun Member

I've used it for years also; it is very clean burning for me. 19.5, 1oz, AA wad and hull, W209 yields 1180 fps and around 7500 psi-- winchester book load. You did well.

7. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Thanks everyone for your response. I felt it would be a good powder and look forward to using it. My favorite has been Green Dot but feel like this will work as good or better. Also the fact that it is used in 7/8 loads with good results as well as I normally use 7/8 oz in skeet loads. Thanks again. Jackie B.

PS. He also had a 8lb jug of Unique and also asked 90 dollars but believe I can get it for $80.00. I can always use it for smaller gauges. LOL

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Nothing wrong with WST powder. I use it to duplicate factory shells from Winchester. At $90 a keg, the price was right! I like it for Winchester AA hulls. It seems to work OK in STS hulls, but the pressures are not usually what I like. In Winchester hulls, It's a no brainer. It's a pretty dense powder, so using the right wad and a full load of shot might be pretty important. I will use WSF for some of the heavier loads, but prefer Unique. I use Promo quite a bit, rather than WST, since the price is much lower and it gives me acceptable performance for the loads I use it for.

9. tallpaul

tallpaul Member

For $90, you did well. I love the smell of it when shooting. There's no other smell like it. It's always obvious when someone is shooting it from its odor.

10. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I have used this exclusively since WInchester discontinued 452AA.

It is a great powder, not dirty at all as stated above. In fact, it is a helluva lot cleaner that 700X.

I use it and Promo (it's the cheapest there is). I load it for singles, first shot in doubles, and 27 yard practice shells.

You *may* have some residue in the barrel after a shot, but the next shot cleans that out.

Great powder!

Whiz White

11. Highrise

Highrise TS Member

Also used it forever with zero problems, very clean and consistant. Factory duplication is a good thing.

G

12. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Not to hijack the thread but, if anyone has any WSL winchester super lite laying around, I would be interested in it if you are not using it. Bulge.

13. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I used to use it a long time ago. I believe WST has an un-natural characteristic as far as temperature is concerned. As I recall the warmer the temperature the SLOWER the velocity. This is the opposite relationship between temperature and velocity from what is normal.

Other than that it is a good powder. It takes up less volume than Clays.

Jim Skeel

14. JIM SIMS

JIM SIMS Member

I used it for many years,with great results,
    I did find that I had to use both the rubber
    and brass washers in my MEC 9000 charge bar
    or it would leak past the bar quite a bit.
    MERRY CHRISTMAS
    JIM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap load using win super target

wst powder loads trap