Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyone use White Lithium Grease in their trigger?

9K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Mirage Combo 
#1 ·
Just wondering if any kind of White Lithium Grease can be used in a shotgun trigger?

Is White Lithium Grease even recommended for triggers?

Thanks,

Kevin

#3 ·
Avoid using grease on anything you can't clean easily and often (or anything that's not sealed. Grease attracts and holds girt and eventually becomes an abrasive paste unless it's renewed often. Any good gun oil will work better. We use Hoppe's Elite or Mili-Tec. Wipe off the excess.

Carol Lister

#4 ·
I had a reason for asking the question. A buddy of mine owns a Citori and has never cleaned the inside of the receiver or trigger. He was shooting it in doubles the other day and the bottom barrel was delayed in firing. I told him to tear the gun apart and clean it real good before panicking.

He proceeded to call Browning and asked them what he should use as a lubricant after he cleans the gun. They told him to use "White Lithium Grease" only.

I had never heard of such a thing, so your comments are interesting in light of what Browning told my buddy.

Thanks,
Kevin

#6 ·
Let's be clear...even Krieghoff in Ottsville puts a LITTLE dab of grease on the sears. But for the rest of the trigger...I spray with solvent then blow clean with compressed air, then spray with light gun oil (Rem oil works) and blow excess off with compressed air. If you want to put a tiny dab of grease on the sears, then is the time. Then button it back up.

#7 ·
Military Armorers used white grease on everything. I get white lith grease in little toothpaste size containers and it has served me well for 30 plus years.
There is a trigger grease called gunslick that has moly in it that I started using on triggers. In military rifle matches we have to have our triggers pass a weight inspection for National level events. I have taken a well tuned trigger that passes inspection with oil on the sear. After putting tiny bit of gunslick on it, the trigger weight will drop as much as 1/2 lb and it did not pass inspection. I cleaned the gunslick off and was back in specs. Amazing stuff, it comes in a tiny little tube, but a little goes a long way. Good Luck

#8 ·
I asked Giacomo about lubing my TMX - he said "No grease - no grease." It's been REMOIL ever since. My son shoots that gun now, and never assembles it without a drop or so on the shoulders, hinge, firing pin, ejector, and locking bar. Trouble free to date.

#12 ·
Dad tought me to use this stuff to lube up our guns and I bet there's some of you guys out there that did the same thing but there have been some improvements since then.

My first job after graduating tech school was in an auto machine shop building engines. We used a lot of white lithium back then. Lubed all the bearings, and the cam rockers, seals, everywhere they could be some friction and it worked well. It gave enough lubricatin to keep the engines from damaging themselves before the oil pressure got up and flowing. The engines might sit on the shelf for months and the grease would still be there when they got installed.

But there are so many modern lubricants now that are better than white lithium IMO I don't see any reason to use it on a firearm. In fact I've seen a few new ou's gaulded in the forearm to frame area because they were very tight and white lithium grease was inadaquate. They should have been loosened up a bit before shooting but the owners wanted to shoot them in and thought the white lithium would protect.

A Moly trigger slick grease like sold by Brownells and others will change the way your trigger feels compared to oil. If your trigger is a little gritty and heavy, Moly trigger grease on the hammer and sear surfaces can really help smooth out the feel. I've measured up to a half pound less trigger pull in some cases with the trigger slick moly but it won't feel like a glass rod breaking.

A well set up hammer and sear made of tool steel and well polished will feel crisper and lighter with a good light modern gun oil, break free, wilson ultima lube, and others.

For high load areas like hinge pins I like Shooters choice red, stos, or other similar synthetics, If I'm shooting in dusty areas I'll pass on the grease and use break free, or rem oil something like that and wipe it down and relube between events.

One point not covered often is that mixing lubricants can cause a serious loss of lubrication properties with some types, best to completely clean before changing lubes just to be safe unless it's a combination you've used before and know it's ok. Properly clean and lubricate your firearm and it will perform as it should for a good long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.