1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone use Timney Reducer for BT 99 Plus ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gus, Mar 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gus

gus Member

Does anyone use a Timney Recoil reducer for the BT 99 Plus ? What are your opinions of it and can it be self installed easily ? AND, NO I am not interested in modifying my gun for another reducer ! Thanks

2. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

yes, the timney could be installed easily, and from my experience, it was not too different from the original reducer. maybe it was because i was using 1 0z loads. FWIW. JM

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

No fitting required for the Timney reducer. It just slides right into the stock. Heck, you don't even have to reshape the recoil pad.

On the bad side, if you don't already have one finding one will be a bit of a problem.

ec90t

4. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I have Timney reducers in both my BT+ and Citori+. The Timney is a major improvement over the original Browning unit that featured the "ca-chunk" sound on each shot. It is a direct replacement, no modification is needed. The Timney is quiet and has two springs which both can be adjusted for compression. It takes a bit of work to get the compression correct with the Timney unit. Adjust the springs too tight and you get no compresion and no recoil reduction. Too loose, and the unit bottoms and provides no effective compression. You have to spend some time adjusting it to your shells and size of body.

When I started working on mine I set the springs very stiff, put a piece of masking tape on the area that compresses and shot a few shots. I loosened the spring tension gradually and repeated the shots. When the tape indicated almost full compression it seemed to work the best. When you get it right it works great and lasts for years.

I actually had one of the original single spring units when Al first put them on the market. At the Grand I was visiting with him a few years later and he showed me his improved version. Al gave me a new dual spring unit in trade for my old single spring unit even up. Nice fellow and a real craftsman when he was in his prime.

5. gus

gus Member

Well thanks I did not know you could not get them any longer, so I guess I WILL have to do some modifications !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

allen timminy recoil redoser for browning bt99

bt99 timney 1

timney reducer