1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone use this kind of stock?? (picts)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hoser, May 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoser

hoser Member

I have a extra PFS grip I'm bondo-ing up and I saw this style of stock and like the concept.

Anyone tried one?

The "hook" at the web of the thumb might be a good idea ... bad idea?

Thougts?

HoseR

---+---

[​IMG]>br>
    [​IMG]<br>
    [​IMG]<br>

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The hook on the back of the tang was painful to me.. I had to open the hole up quite a bit before it quit hurting me..

3. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Does anyone use or has tried the high short rib shown?

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Rick.. You are 100% right.. I solved that problem with cutting the PFS grip back..and using epoxy putty to fit my hand exactly.. End of problem..On my right hand.. my skin tears easily..and that extended piece on the tang would bite me.. and often draw blood.. A good rasp solved the problem..but a stockfitter can easily make the grip fit you correctly..

5. hoser

hoser Member

PerazziBB,

Any chance you could post a pict of your altered PFS grip?

I have the bondo, and a plan, but I would rather have an idea of what has been done before.

I could put a top tang "semi-thumbhole hook on it like the above pict, but worry that with the way the PFS grip jumps back under recoil, it might hurt a bit.

Thanks!

And ... I have used a half rib on a 391 and as mentioned above, didn't see any difference between scores of a full high rib or half.

Perhaps less "sail" in a strong wind. Also mine had a gentle slope to the final height ... so as not to have a "wall" out in front.

I have a few other half-ribs waiting on the waterjet... I'll try to post a few picts in a while.

[​IMG]

6. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I don't quite understand what's the need for the top hook on the grip, it looks painful to me.

Position of trigger hand is not really critical on shotgun sport, I see the reason on Free-Pistol and sniper rifle but not on shotgun.

7. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I always rather throught the thumb hook was related to low gun shooting and maintaing control during the gun mount.....no?

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I kinda like the hand position this stock allows! Not real sure of the thumb skinner though? Good gun control all the way through the shot!

Hap

9. Lance S

Lance S TS Member

I am also interested in finding a source for this type of stock. I see Wenig sells a thumbhole custom stock, anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks.

Lance

10. Twixter

Twixter Member

Lance:

Check with Dennis Devault of Devault industries. His is somewhat the same confirguration but without the tang part.

Mick

11. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Steve W.,

In ATA style trap (other than doubles) maintaining position of the right hand is, as you said, not too critical.However in ATA doubles and Olympic singles and doubles having the gun shift position in your hand due to recoil is a significant issue. Notice the guns being used are all O/U's. Olympic trap is a TWO shot game, you get two shots to break the target(s) in bunker singles and doubles trap.

Bob Schultz

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I've always belived the grip on the Space Gun was the best design. Not pretty, but real functional

13. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I have seen this stock on many skeet and trap guns used in Europe if you look at the videos on skeet and trap on issf-sports you will see the top shooters using this stock now I think it is a fairly new design. The Olympic trap guy is a gold metal winner and just came in second in trap in Great Britten world cup he lost to a Russian. This is the link click on the long version under the trap video.

http://www.issf-sports.org/tvplayer.aspx

14. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Positive repeated hand positioning on the stock, less chance for mis-positioning, I like the concept, wish I had one. Somepeople and shooters develop a pain in their shooting grip hand, I think this would help aleviate it.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

15. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Looks like the "hook" would take up some of the recoil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.