1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone use ROKU to stream movies?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by missemucho, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. missemucho

missemucho Member

Just got the latest notice from Direct TV that they're raising prices again. We presently have all the movie packages (wife needs something to do while I'm at the club) and I'd love to cut our costs. Reviews say ROKU is the best for streaming movies and I have a mid-level DSL connection already. Anyone have any experience with these? I'm especially interested in how easy it is to use; better half isn't very tech savvy.
    John

2. capvan

capvan Active Member

I've been using Netflix for streaming for a couple of months. True, no first run movies available, but tons of watchable stuff. And for $11 a month (which includes 1 unlimited DVD), you can't beat it. DSL works fine.

cap

3. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

VUDU is who I use. Pay as you go...no monthly fee. Blu-ray 1080p format.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

There's a new and cheaper model of the Roku. Supposedly Wireless. I don't use one, but have seen them in operation. Not bad and they will do HD as well. I watch my Netflix streaming through a PC.

5. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Doesn't Roku limit your choices of places in which you can view movies? And don't most of these have some type of fee?

I'm interested in a wireless system so I can stream anything from my PC to the TV.

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

GunDr

Check the link above.

7. missemucho

missemucho Member

I bought the deluxe $99 version from Amazon; will let you know how it works out.
    John

8. DadPlus4

DadPlus4 Member

i bought the wireless version last year and run my netflix thru it along with Pandora (music). Excellent alternative to spending $$ for cable channels you'll not watch. Newer movies display a lot better than older movies (pre-digital). You can also buy on-line movies at Amazon to stream. The only downside to Netflix is that the content available online is a bit stale, but don't a better job getting newer releases available more frequently. A couple of the old movies were grainy and I answered a netflix survey and they took a couple of bucks off my bill. Love Netflix now that there are no more local movie stores...

9. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

I have used Neflix/Roku Wireless for some time now and love it. I do have to frequently reboot the wireless hub to use the Roku, but probably only because I don't use it very often.
    A great alternative to cable. I'd have dumped cable long ago IF it were up to me. How did we ever survive without Oxygen or HGTV channels?
    dju

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.