1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone use recycled wads???????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by famill00, May 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Call me crazy but today a buddy and I were shooting some practice and had the great idea while sitting around BS'ing that we could save money by REusing wads. We figured that picking up wads would be much easier than devising a way to catch shot. So, we picked up a couple hundred wads in a matter of about 5 minutes, went home and separated them. The majority of them are blue and green dusters. Loaded up 10 of the blue dusters with 1 1/8 oz shot, fio primer, 18 grains clays, Gun Club hull. They loaded perfectly, went in the hull like brand new and patterned just as well as our normal reloads. Has anyone ever done this??? Is there any performance that is compromised? A slight velocity loss is all that I can figure that would result. And yes....we threw out those that had any sort of a nick at the gas seal.

Forrest

2. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

I have been trying to use recycled primers also but to many misfires. LOL Wads are one of the lowest cost components in your shell. I would spend more time on the high priced items like lead.

3. LABS4U0

LABS4U0 TS Member

Maybe you should take up golf. You can always find used golf balls on any course.

4. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Ok so I deserve the smartass remarks :) But seriously, if you can save 1.5 cents per shot, that is 37 cents per box. That would put me at reloading 1oz for only $2.40 a box. To me it might be worth it as long as no performance was compromised. If only I could combine reused wads with reclaimed shot for singles.....hmmmm....anymore opinions? and no comments from the peanut gallery :)

Forrest

5. LABS4U0

LABS4U0 TS Member

Forrest, I would not waste my time on something as petty as this. My gun and smile is more important to me than saving $0.37. Darren

6. plumbguncrazy

plumbguncrazy TS Member

how much is a beer at your gun club?

7. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

Forrest,

A long, long, time ago before I had the pot or the window to throw it out of, I would go to a local gun club after one of their registered shoots and glean enough wads to last a year meat hunting....When your young and reload by hand without any mechanical means, a one peace wad in most any condition is nice to have, at least it was back then but now???

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

This topic came up several years ago and as as a test, I did pick up 25 used AA white wads. I made sure the over powder part was not nicked and loaded them. I chronographed 5 of the shells and shot the remaining as practice. Overall, the used wads preformed alright.

Now, with the large number of discount shells shot at trap clubs, picking up used wads is more difficult. I would estimate that one could make something like $1 per hour by recycling wads. If it is something that one enjoys, I see no harm in the practice. A close inspection of the over powder cup is very important. Simply because it is an activity that I would not do is no reason to discourage others from trying it.

Pat Ireland

9. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Forrest, Back in the 60's we used to reclaim wads all the time. They were great for 16 yd and skeet shooting. I don't know where I found the free time then, but it was good for a lot of laughs.There were not as many different types then, and they all fell at their own radius, so to speak. Herter's used to be the ones farthest out for some reason. I've often wondered why there is not some sort of market or means for re-cycling all of the wads laying out there today. Good luck with the wads, the price is right. Bob H.

10. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

We did it as kids too. AA wads only. Followed the recipes back then as well.

Chrono/pressure tests with old versus new might be interesting.

11. famill00

famill00 TS Member

I think I will load up some of these and just try them for smiles and giggles. Last night they patterned well on cardboard....why not?!?! Maybe others should try this....it might be a way of exercise to help some of loose the infamous "beer belly".

Have fun,

Forrest

12. famill00

famill00 TS Member

chauncy, I started this thread....dont be so cranky man. And if your so rich how about you sponsor me a new trap gun and a few hundred cases of those federal papers and pay all my entry fees for the next year? I will cover gas to and from shoots. Sounds like a deal to me!!!!!

Forrest

13. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Hey chauncy,

I forgot to mention.....aluminum cans are bringing around 70cents a pound here in western ky. We save our beer cans to buy more beer around here.

Forrest

14. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

When the choices were limited mostly to WAA wads in the 60's and early 70's I used to gather wads and reuse all the time. I broke a 99 in the 16's using reclaimed shot, wads, and paper federal hulls. Hell I even picked up beer bottles (penny a piece) and waded water hazards for golf balls (10 cents apiece). Still am a hull whore, Dempsey dumpster diver. Richard

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Early wads seemed to be made of thicker, higher quality plastic than today. Even the RXP's were in great shape after one firing and we picked and shot plenty. So much for the 60's!!

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Man, you are really geting cheap!

17. famill00

famill00 TS Member

2 boxes loaded a few minutes ago. Further testing to be done this week. Hopefully I can find a chronograph to use....

Forrest

18. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Go ahead and use them Forrest. NEVER had ONE problem with them. I'm one of those old "cheap" trapshooters. Started in 1971, ATA in 1976, Grand trophy in 1977. Been there done that. I had 25,000 reg. singles within the first 4 years. First year I registered 600. Do the math. TM1 thru the credit union, shot by the ton, 12lb. kegs of 700x, 5000 primers at a clip. 15 to 20 thousand picked up wads a year helped.

CHEAP? No, common sense? yes. Hell, I remember some Sundays when I HAD to win.. I didn't have enough money left in the account to cover the check I just wrote to shoot. LOL, Spent it all on components and practice.

Pretty soon some of these guys will think that saving $3.70 a FLAT is a good deal.

If you think you can save yourself a couple of bucks, more power to ya.

GL...AJ100

BTW, for all you union guys, I told my credit union that the $1600.00 was for furniture. They wouldn't finance a gun. In a way it was. That TM1 was metal and wood, same as a kitchen table and chairs. Just in a different configuration. What they didn't know wouldn't hurt them.

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I friend of mine reloaded BULLETS for his M1A (7.62x51 NATO aka .308 Win).<br>
    <br>
    He had an 1100 yard range on his property, and fired at target during the winter. When the spring thaw came, he found the bullets on the ground. They went into the snow, but apparently slowed enough that no damage was done. The only difference was that these bullets had rifling engraved on them.<br>
    <br>
    He reloaded them, and shot them out. Amazingly, they did just fine.

20. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Finally!!! Some sensible answers :)

THanks,
    Forrest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.