1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone use mechanical in their XT ???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WesleyB, Feb 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Mechanical vs inertia triggers in a XT. Any opinions??

Thanks!
    Wesley

2. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Send it to Stu Wright and have him convert it.......he's done a couple of Brownings for me and I have another one that he's about to do. Best thing that ever happened to a Browning trigger!!

Ken Rucker

3. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

Have been considering doing this to my XT, what kind of price range can one expect for this conversion??

Kerry

4. WesleyB

Ken
    Can you give more info.. Stu Wright? and any pricing please??

Thanks!

5. WesleyB

up waiting on ruck

6. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Sorry, Wes!! I replied last night, but it never went thru. The place is Wright's Gunsmithing in Pinckneyville, Il. The phone no. is 618-357-8933. You'll have to call and ask Stu about the pricing, but it's very reasonable. I have an XS Skeet that is on it's way there for the conversion. He's done several for me and my customers, all with great results!!

Ken

7. WesleyB

Thanks a bunch Ken !!

8. One Eyed Left Handed

One Eyed Left Handed TS Member

C'mon guys, how about a ballpark price? I've got several local shooters that have talked about the switch (me included) but don't have any idea on what it cost's $100-$200.-$300 plus shipping?

Eddie Quire

9. WesleyB

Phone number is above... I am calling next week.

WesleyB

10. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Generally less than $100. At least that's what my 'smith charges.

ec90t

11. kybullseye

kybullseye TS Member

I'm curious, how does this help a Browning trigger? I have a Browning XS Special and I'm looking into lightning the trigger pull a little. Will making it a mechanical trigger help with that?

Thanks.

12. ec90t

ec90t Guest

ky'

Nope. It just sets the trigger for the second barrel off of trigger movement instead of inertia. It generally helps make the trigger a bit more consistant on pull weight though.

ec90t

13. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I've put perhaps 15,000 rounds thru my XT with the factory inertia trigger and never had it fail to work properly. I know many other shooters who have put way more rounds through their Browning Citori (same trigger as the XT) with nary a problem.

I don't see the benefit of changing something that is working perfectly well as is. Of course, if you are going to start using your XT to hunt dangerous game such as lions and bears, then perhaps mechanical triggers might make a difference in that one round out of 5,000 that doesn't fire the first time the firing pin hits the primer.

Easystreet

14. WesleyB

Well my thoughts is with 7/8 oz shot.. and 16grains of Solo 1000 and recoil reducer, the inertia triggers might not set. Only a guess, I have no data or info to support my thoughts.

WesleyB

15. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I've fired MANY 7/8 ounce 20 gauge target loads through my 12 gauge XT using my Seminole Chamber Mates and never had a single problem with the inertia trigger.

I know of other guys who use the 12/28 gauge Chamber Mates without a problem. Now if you are planning to go all the way down to the 12/.410 Chamber Mates, then you might consider mechanical triggers. Otherwise, why mess with something that's working well?

This is just my way of looking at things, of course. Others may see it differently.

Easystreet

16. WesleyB

Easy,
    Point well taken... thank you for your post.

WesleyB

17. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

There are thousands of Brownings with small gauge tube sets(including the .410) that work fine without a mechanical trigger conversion. They do need to have a simple modification done to them.

As stated earlier, the mechanical conversion is just an addition to the sear to bump the inertia block. It does nothing for the trigger pull or feel. Nor does it alleviate the problem some have with letting off the trigger once it's been pulled, to allow the trigger to reset for the second shot.

If you want a clean crisp 3-1/4 to 3-1/2 lb. pull, a trigger job will be needed besides the mechanical rework.

Doug Braker

18. MGeslock

MGeslock TS Member

All you need to do is put the 410 springs in it. If you "modify" the trigger you may void the warranty.

Put a set of springs in an keep shooting!!

That will not change pull.

19. kybullseye

kybullseye TS Member

Who do you guys recommend for doing a trigger job on my Browning XS. I'm looking for that good clean 3.5lb trigger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.