1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone use Lucas Gun Oil?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pyrdek, Aug 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

At the AUTO parts store today I saw they were selling Lucas GUN oil. It was a small bottle, maybe an once or so. It was right in with the other Lucas automotive products, Anyone use Lucas Gun Oil and if so what are your thoughts about it. It lists one of uses is for serious competitive shooters who shoot a lot of rounds in a day. That sure sounds like trapshooters meet the definition.

They do seem to make quite a few automotive lubricant and chemical products and the parts salesman thought fairly highly of their automotive products but had no knowledge or experience with their gun oil.

2. beaker100

beaker100 Member

if it is lucas i want to try it! mr. lucas is from a small town about 40 miles from linn creek,mo. he built a first class race track right in the town accrost the street from the high school. (town population about 600 people!)

last weekend he opened an addition to the race track. a water drag strip and they ran the first race. went over on saturday. $25.00 to get in and you could stay for the car races that night also.

pro mod boats were turning the 1/4 mile at 191 mph.

the top fuel boats were turning the 1000 feet in 3.9 sec at 224mph! what a hoot! doug hubbart

3. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

I use it. It is red in color and fairly heavey seems to stay well on the guns I store for long periods of time between uses. What are your main question I can try and answer.

4. kcp99

kcp99 Member

i have used it for a while now and love it k.c.

5. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I have seen it and it is probably transmission fluid. The red color is no coincidence. Do you really think it is something special?

6. earlybird

earlybird TS Member

I am a lubricants salesman; 30 yrs exp. I use Lucas gun oil, among other products. It is more viscous than any other gun oil I have used. One of the key additives used in lubes- especially greases- is a tackifier- something to make it stick in an exposed application, and this product seems to me to have a tackifier added. I am not necessarily a Lucas products fan, but I think this is a worthwhile product. I can assure you it is NOT ATF (automatic trans fluid), which is about a 5wt. Red dye- or blue, or green, or purple, or whatever- is the cheapest part of the formulation equation, but often has as much to do with selling the product as any other feature. Don't be sold only by color, but neither assume that a red oil has to be atf. Now I DO think Buck honing oil is atf, but that's another story.....

7. amos6979

amos6979 TS Member

It's not trans. fluid but I'v used it on hand guns S & W model 41, STI 2011 .40 all the way up to a BMG .50 and a Perazzi love the stuff and it stays on the gun better than other oils I have used.

8. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

With what has been posted by users here, I figure I will give it a try for the 1100 and 11-87.

Thanks for the feedback.

9. shadow

shadow Active Member

I even use it in my casting reels. GOOD STUFF !!!!!

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

STP ..? WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. shadow

shadow Active Member

No Bill, Very much thinner!

12. earlybird

earlybird TS Member

WPT: No, STP is a concentrated dose of the same sort of thing (polymer) that makes a multi-grade oil resist flow (viscosity) at varying temps; viscosity index improver is the generic technical description. If you've ever been in a parts store and seen the Lucas gear lube counter display- the one where you turn the little crank and their gear lube in the reservoir climbs the gears, while the competitors' product doesn't- you've seen a working example of what a tackifier does.

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Good Information, I will have to check it out ... Thx, WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. shark1

shark1 Member

Great products from great people. Try the Lucas synthetic grease even better for hinge pins, locking blocks or top latches. Use the gun oil on ejectors and the gun becomes very slick. Granted the company has been very kind to me over the years, but their products are quality. Only problem you will have is the grease sticks very well, so cleaning does take a little longer. You must clean the gun on a regular basis or the dirt will wear the gun and not the grease. Mike Sharkey, DC

15. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

I use it. Bought it at the Lucas booth at the Drag Races. Good stuff!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

anyone use archoil gun oil

who has tried lucas gun oil