1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

anyone use american select

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sean justice, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sean justice

sean justice TS Member

red dot very dirty in my 391, whats the cleanest out there, dont mind it in my perazzi, but gas gun is filthy.

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I tried a keg of AM SEL for 7/8 1 and 1 1/8 oz loads, and was very unimpressed. I did not find it to be ultra clean, or even pretty clean.

Clays for standard loads. I bought 2 kegs of Intl' Clays to have one powder for several different loads, from Intl' to HCP.

3. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I tried it because of what I read about it being "ultra clean". I am glad I only bought 4 lbs as it was plenty dirty. Went back to clays and will stay with that unless anything else cleaner is introduced.

4. sean justice

sean justice TS Member

then is clays cleaner, ive never used it, whats cleaner clays or international clays, i want clean.

5. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Have not used American Select, I have gone through over 50 lbs of clay dot, loads the same as clays---worked real well in my 391---

Lou

6. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Alliant E3 is the CLEANEST...PERIOD! Nothing else comes close!

AndyH

7. deercreek

Clays is cleaner than Intl. or Univ. Clays.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

I use American Select, a lot of it. I like the stuff. I am perplexed by the numerous claims about how clean some powders burn but few can support their claims.

Make two small containers with aluminum foil and put in 20 grains of two different powders. Next weigh the containers with the powder. Then, in a safe place, burn the powders and weigh the containers again. This residual burning test is not perfect but it is a good indication of how clean a powder will burn. The results of such a test will demonstrate that the purported clean powders are not as clean as commonly believed.

Pat Ireland

9. deercreek

Pat, I believe what you are stating but my thoughts are based on looking down the barrel after each shot and what I see during an action cleaning say after 500 rounds or so.

10. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I have used many powders over the past couple of years. The two I use the most are e3 and American Select. Of the two, in the loadings I use, Am Sel is the cleanest judjing by how much stuff is deposited around the muzzle area and the cleanliness of the spent hulls.

Both powders will burn dirty if there is insufficient pressure. I load Am Sel for my 1145 and 1200fps 1 1/8oz handicap loads using W209 primers to keep the pressure up (published loads). I have zero cleanliness issues.

11. shrek

shrek Active Member

I have used American Select. It is not as clean appearing after firing as Clays or Claydot. I like it well enough, but I also can not complain about clays, or clay dot or international clays either.

I suspect part of the cleanliness thing of most powders is related to the pressure that the given load develops. I am not suggesting we go and crank pressures up, but I have observed that loads that are lower pressure tend to leave more residue in the barrel etc.

And I do know that some component combinations and American Select can be on the low side per given velocity according to the alliant manual compared to other similar powders given the information in their respective loading manuals.

12. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I have used it 1-1/8 ounce loads since it was first introduced. I load 20 grs. with a 12S3 clone and Federal primer and it is cleaner than any other powder I have used. I have also loaded 1 oz. but it doesn't appear to be nearly as clean but it makes a really hard hitting 1 oz. Made in America too. JRM

13. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I have shot many kegs of it. It is a very clean powder for me but I also load 20 grains of it and I use a hot primer. I don't see it as an excellent 7/8 or 1 ounce powder. For that I feel 700x or even Clays is a better choice. If you plan on loading 1 1/8 ounce loads at 1200 fps to say 1255 I don't see how anything can burn any cleaner.

The whole clean thing is lost on me I must admit. If you want to see a dirty barrel get clean just run an American select or Clays load at the end of the day down your barrel,all that unburnt powder is now gone and your dirty barrel just became clean. In a break open gun it really means next too nothing and in a pump or autoloader normal cleaning is all that is required to keep your auto working. If you want to go 10,00 to 20,000 rounds between cleaning maybe there is a diffrence? I don't know as I don't treat things I have paid good money for in such a fashion.

In short... It's all bullsXXt. Jeff

14. sean justice

sean justice TS Member

i should have said that i load nothing over 1oz,

15. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Sean, I'd suggest e3 as the best powder for 7/8 and 1oz loads. I liked Clays a lot also, but stopped using it because I didn't like the gritty residue it left behind.

I'll also say I'm surprised at the variety of experiences expressed here about the same powders. Interesting.

16. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Clay Dot is the exact same thing as clays, but it is just a tiny bit dirtier than clays. It is also about 15 to 20 dollars cheaper than clays. It is a clean powder, i really like it. Am finishing my first keg now.

17. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Am Select is a very good/clean powder. If your having problems with it then take a look at your load design. The same goes for red or green dot.

Yes I will prove my claims...

18. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

After many years of reloading for gas guns, I've come to realize that the primer you use makes a large difference in clean burns. I've settled on Clays and Winchester primers.

I find Cheddite's the dirtiest, NobelSport not much better, and Rio passable. In break-open guns it really doesn't matter. Alliant E3 is a very clean burner, but it just doesn't fit into my loading preferences.

IMO,
    Kip

19. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Yes, an outstanding powder. I've used it for over 10 years. I use it in 1 oz., 11/16 oz., and 11/8 oz. loads. Never been a problem of any kind, I use it in Federal plastic Gold Metal, Remington STS, and AA, both old and new design hulls. It seems that so many people here rate the powders by how clean they burn, big mistake, there are other factors to consider.

Tom Strunk

20. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Well, I guess the biggest factor is "break open" versus "semi-auto" I shoot a break open and cleanliness is NOT a factor. Still A.S. is a GOOD powder....right up there with Green Dot/ Clays/ PB / E3 / Titegroup / Titewad et al.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.