1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone use a metal detector?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by starship, Jul 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starship

starship TS Member

Traveling more in our motorhome and have been thinking about getting a metal detector. Obviously so I can find a 10 carat diamond ring while walking around our RV site:)

Just wondering if anyone here uses one and what brand you might recommend. This would be purely for fun.

Thanks
    Chuck

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Chuck, I have 2 Whites. They are older models that were better grade of their product line when I bought them.
    Wife and I did Lake Erie beaches a few times and filled my tackle box with lures. They are fun but get the headphones. Have fun. Bulge

3. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

I have a "bounty hunter" brand. I thought I would get rich finding all sorts of other people's valuables. Well I found a few coins and such, not nearly enough to pay for the stupid thing, so I put it away. When a co-worker lost his new wedding ring, I loaned it to him and in about an hour he found it! Wife was happy and I think "rewarded" him. Nothing for me. WHen I lost weight and my wedding ring in the front yard, I found it in about 10 minutes. Saved a lot of heart ache. I also found a ring by the street that my daughter lost several years ago. My point is that if you know what wnd where to look, you have a better chance of finding it. If you are in an area where there was a big gathering the day before, you may find something. It is kind of fun. GEt one and look around old homesteads, with permission, of course.

Regards,

Mike

4. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

So tell us some of the interesting things that you've found in the water.

Ed Yanchok

5. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I dug up 10,ooo pennies, now I need a new knee.

6. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

I have hunted on and off my whole life. I have been into it hard the last few years [6]. I just about hunt water mostly now. It depends what you want to do, but if you get a versatile machine you cannot go wrong. Very few machines will work in Saltwater or wet saltwater sand. The Minelab Sovereign series is one of the most versatile and powerful machines you can own. Used machines are readily available. I recommend going to a site called thetreasuredepot [add.com]. The "Eliteā€ and "GT" are the newest of the sovereign series and I would not buy an earlier model. Good Luck.........

GS

7. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Chuck, I use a Tesoro Golden. It uses one 9 volt battery and has multi tones. It is a very light unit. I paid $350.00 for mine used. Check them out on the web.

I have two Tesoro Sidewinders that I bought for the grand kids but they got transfered and never got to use them. Would sell for $225.00 each. They also use a 9 volt battery. I use the rechargeable ones. Buy both and I will pay shipping. Have manuals also.

I starter with the older Whites units but as time went buy they stayed heavy. I still have a Whites 5900 unit for $75.00 and it uses a 12 volt rechargeable pack. More of a collectors item but does the job.

I think you would love a Tesoro Golden after you decided you liked hunting. Ray

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

My dearest find was a 40 year old class ring that a young girl lost on the beach on her 18th birthday.

I went to the school stamped on the ring and looked her up. The joy she had when I placed it in her hand was priceless, that's when she shared that it was on the very first date with her recently deceased husband.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.