1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone use a Lee Load All press?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by duffybear69, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duffybear69

duffybear69 TS Member

I was wondering if anyone uses a Lee Load All press. I am thinking about reloading for next year and would like to start out on a rather simple reloader. I am looking at the Lee Load All 2 and was wondering if anyone has had expirence with this reloader.

Thank you

2. D'ohboy

D'ohboy Member

Duff,I have 2 older models, 20 & 12 gauge(just plain Loadall,not the 2)that someone gave to me. I still use the 20 gauge,but stopped useing the 12 after someone else gave me a Mec650jr.(gotta love friends). Works well,but is slow. Also,at least on the older models and as far as I can tell,there is no easy way to change the bushings without emptying out all shot and powder. If you aren't loading allot,$50(or so)for the new ones would be ok. Otherwise,look for a new or used Mec;they show up on here from time to time. Dan

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

First, I like the idea of beginning to reload with slow single stage presses. This is a fine way to learn how to reload and what mistakes can be made. After using one of these presses, very soon a strong desire to get a faster press arises. I would think that a couple of questions at a local club would locate someone with one of these presses sitting around in a closet. Few who have them would object to loaning you their press for six months to a year so you could get started. In fact, they would probably help you set up the loaner press and give you some lessons on how to use it.

Pat Ireland

4. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Ditto to what Pat Ireland says. I started on one 3 years ago and have since gone to a MEC650. The Load-all works fine and is a good one to start on. There are a few tricks (like turning the shell a certain way for final crimp), but mine was pretty user friendly.At tops it will produce a box in 10 to 15 minutes.......but, I wouldn't consider speed an issue when starting out. What's nice about them is that for $34 or so you can experiment with anywhere from 1oz. to 1 1/4 oz.(Oakley shoot offs) shells.You get alot of shot/powder bushings.Don't invest in the Lee's automatic primer feed.....no good.I screwed mine to a 12" piece of 2x6 and then clamp the 2x6 to my bench.I still have mine and if you are in NW Ohio I would be glad to loan it out.
    Dennis Kusner

5. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

P.S. ....Invest in or borrow a reliable scale for weighing and checking the powder drops.I got the cheap/simple/accurate Lyman scale.

6. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I started with a Load-All and still have 3 mounted on my benches that I use to run small batches of loads I want to evaluate. Bushing are cheap and easy to tailor to drop specific powder charges and once you figure out the trick, bushing changes are a snap with no need to empty the hoppers. The loader is worth the price because (1) the price is low and (2) you get hands-on with each shell you load. They are slow though.

7. missemucho

missemucho Member

Listen to flincher100; a 600jr is a great way to learn to reload. It isn't as cheap as the Lee, but the reload it makes is as good as any and the frustration level is much lower than the Lee. The only advantage to the Lee is the price and the cheap bushings. I gave away my Loadall and bought a Mec on EBAY.

I left the Mec on my reloading bench to fix up "oops" loads from my 9000. They'll last forever.

John

8. dverna

dverna Active Member

There are a lot of used MEC's out there right now. (Many people getting out of reloading.) Get one of those. Check out the local clubs and get the word out.

I bought a nearly new Sizemaster for $75 a few months back to load hunting loads and test loads.

Don

9. D'ohboy

D'ohboy Member

Capn. Morgan,please divulge the "trick" to changing the bushings w/out emptying the whole shebang. Thanks

10. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

My first loader about 25yr ago was a Lee Load ALL. It worked very well but was slow.

Good starter loader for the money.

My loader progression;
    Lee Load All
    MEC 600jr
    MEC 650
    MEC 9000G
    PW 800+ w/auto shell feed

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

"...the "trick" to changing the bushings w/out emptying the whole shebang..."

Tape the lid to the hopper/main assembly (or use some other means to make certain the lid won't come off if you turn the unit upside down.)

Make sure the unit is at the top of its travel, then spread out and slide the handle off the two pivot posts on either side of the hopper/main assembly. (If you do this when the unit is at the bottom of its travel, the spring in the center post may push the hopper/main assembly up faster than you'd like, making a mess.)

Carefully slide the hopper/main assembly up and off the center post.

Turn the hopper/main assembly upside down, sitting it on the lid.

Unscrew the faceplate, and then have at the bushings.

I use a Lee Load-All II for my 20 gauge skeet loads and my 12 gauge hunting loads since I don't need to make those in great volume. Works great. Slow, but its a cheap way to start out. And if you decide you don't like reloading, you're not out much money.

Granted, the MEC 600 Jr. is a better single stage reloader (I have one of those in 28 gauge), but I think you'll be very hard pressed to find a used MEC 600 Jr. for the price of a new Lee Load-All II.

And, as the others have noted, absolutely, positively get a good scale to measure your powder drops.

Tim

12. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

I started with a load All II But since i was given a MEC JR> Ihave given the Loadall to my Grabd Daughtr to learn to load on. She seen the MEC JR. and said it was to big for her she would keep working with the Load All II. I also have the primer trey but it's not that great. With all the hastle of it I just as soon put a primer in one at a time. They for some reaso jam up[. I've tried everything from Graphite to baby powder. Oh well. One at a time don't hurt. Rich.(inPeoria,A.Z)

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

A good used MEC would be a great starting point also, but the Lee Load All II isn't all that terrible. It's a great tool to learn the basic on. You would probably outgrow it quickly. You could still find a used MEC for about twice as much as the LEE and not need to spend the money on the LEE in the first place. A good scale is also a MUST! A MEC Grabber is a good starter for someone who intends to continue loading. You can load as a progressive or single stage, although as a single stage it would be just a bit more cumbersome than a MEC 600jr or similar press.

14. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

"Capn. Morgan,please divulge the "trick" to changing the bushings w/out emptying the whole shebang."

timb99 got the basics right, at least the part about taping the lid on. But I don't take the loader apart to do it.

I mounted my Lee onto a piece of 1/2" thick Corian that I scrounged from a plumber's cut-out. Any piece of stiff material like MDO will work, too. I drilled 3 holes in the Corian to match the mounting holes in the Lee base and epoxied 3, #10 T-nuts (blind nuts) into the holes on the underside of the Corian (you may want to counterbore the Corian so the nuts don't stick above the surface). Using #10 machine screws of proper length, I mount the Lee to the Corian which is mounted to the bench.

When I want to change bushings, I tape the lid fast, undo the 3 mounting screws, flip the whole thing over and pull out the charge bar. A bushing change can be done in well under a minute this way.

15. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

I was born and raised in Hartford, WI where the Lee loaders originated. I shot trap with John Lee ( now Co. Prez ) and Rob ( brother) for a few years till I moved to KY. Anyway, this thread brought back lots of old memories. Nubs Wagner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.