Trapshooters Forum banner

Anyone try Ballistic Products Wads?

5K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Slate mike 
#1 ·
I am looking to try 7/8 oz loads and was looking at the various options for wads. Anyone ever try the Ballistic Products wads? Specifically the PT1205 (VP05) 12ga 7/8oz Lead wad?

I appreciate your insights, as always.

--Z

#2 ·
Much to do about nothing and expensive. I did not throw mine away but wanted to. Claybuster is such a good alternative for st. wall hulls. I purchased several 7/8, 1 oz. and 1 1/8 and had to force myself to shoot them up. Life's too short, keep it simple - 12SO and 12S3 Claybuster clones.

#3 ·
I have not tried that model.
The Gulandi and B&P that they sell work.
I have difficulty with a MEC9000 getting the wad under the ram and have not found a simple fix. The wad petals are molded with tiny tabs that hold them together.
Patterns are good.
I load a lot of the claybuster grey wad win clone in the gunclub hull w 7\8oz. These fly thu my loader.
I use the fed clone 12SO in straight walled hulls, but these take more powder for equal speed.

#5 ·
Sorry, but I have to disagree with 4th. down's evaluation of the Ballistic VP05 wads. I have loaded thousands of Rio and Top Gun cases with them in 7/8 and 1 oz. with nary a hitch. Patterns with both payloads are excellent through my full choke MX-10, primarily with #8's. Ballistic ships them in cases of 6000, not 5000 like most of the other wad manufacturers. My delivered price per case is just about even with the CB wads that I can buy locally.

Caveat...The petals in the shot cup are stitched, and Ballistic suggests that you not break them apart. I broke some apart and patterned them...the results were really poor.

#6 ·
I was having problems with stack height in my 7/8 oz loads in Fed hulls. A guy from the shotgun world forum sent me some PT 1205, EML 12 (the new GU 1227), and CB 6100-12 wads to try. After loading all 3 and doing some pattern tests I found the Clay Buster 6100 wad worked as good or better then the others so I load the 6100.

I have a few of the 1205's and EML 12 wads left, send me a PM with your address and I will ship you a few to try out if you want.

#8 ·
They are normally a bit pricey compared to what we typically pay for the CB and other clone wads. They were running a special last year on the 1215, less than a penny a wad. I ordered 8 cases, and happened to get a flat rat shipping of $8 to boot. Couldn't beat that. The 1215 loads 1 oz reclaim in Federal TG hulls and crimps like a factory load for me on a Grabber. I use the 1205 and the Gulandi EMLs on the 7/8 oz loads in the Euro hulls. When they are gone though, I will go back to the CB 6100 for cost savings. I think it just as good a wad, but if PTs are on sale, I'll buy 'em.

#9 ·
I use a lot of the BP Piston Skeet wads in a 1oz load in a Rem STS or GC hull. Great wad and great patterns.The Piston Skeet light are good for 7/8 loads. I,too, bought a case of the PT1215 for a penny apiece. Good in a straight wall hull and 9/8 load. Tried the CB 4100 12B Lightning to save a few cents on the Piston Skeets and they get hung up and jam my MEC 650. I like the BP wad line. Maybe a trifle more expensive(if you don't buy bulk)but worth it to me. Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.