1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone tried the new Double Trap format?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Aussie Dan, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Just wondering if anyone here had tried the new ISSF Double Trap format?

We just finished our national titles and the new rules have thrown the door wide open!

No more spot shooting targets with random pairs thrown. They also banned target counting devices at our competition too.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Was something wrong with the old format? HMB

3. perazziuser

perazziuser Active Member

Yes we've been training it. You can still spot shoot the targets, it's just a little tougher to do on your first past. After that you know at least one target you are getting and you can shoot that target very fast with no delay.

Jeff Holguin

4. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Hi Jeff,

Your right. Are you guys using a counter of any kind?

We had guys using everything from golf counters to bits of cardboard with a pencil scribbling down the pairs they just had, then the judges said any counting assistance was banned from competition.

It's difficult not to make a mistake when trying to do it off memory too, if you screw up one pair you get a big shock.

A lot of the guys were talking about going back to a lighter gun to allow a little easier swinging when required to shoot especially the first 5 pairs.

28/30 was the best round shot. I think the finals are a little weird but the target presentation is a little easier as you don't have lanes 1 and 5 to contend with.

How are you guys doing?

5. Baber

Baber TS Member

We just receiced the new Chips for our controller yesterday and will be installing them tomorrow. If we can get Jeff and the others from Benning to come we will probably shoot it on Monday 4 March as the Final event in the SE Regional championships at Gator Skeet and Trap Gainesville, Florida

Tom

6. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Unlike American Trap and American Skeet, the International trap and skeet shooters associations look at toughening up the standards when they think the game is getting to easy and scores start popping.

For skeet (low gun) this year, they increased the speed a hair, and added more doubles and lessened the number of singles.

7. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Joe, can you post a link for the 2013 rules and sequences? Thanks.

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Olympic Trap is attempting to make doubles tougher to prevent spot shooting that first known angle? Looks to me like they would be headed toward each of the 15 machines be outfitted with an occilating base for X amount of degree swing to really accomplish that goal? That would toughen up doubles shooting in my opinion.

American trap shooting once followed that line of thinking also in making the game tougher to master.

Hap

9. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

What's the opinion on no more 3.5m targets? Did all 9 schemes change or did they just lower the 3.5m targets down to 3m?

Dan, saw the video from Brisbane that David Menck sent out. Killed me that I couldn't make it down there, looked like a great time!

Harold Hitchcock

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Joe, if I am not mistaken, for skeet the number of singles and pairs is still the same, its just that instead of shooting all your shots at station 4, you shoot the singles, then continue to shoot at 5, 6, and 7, then come back to 4 to shoot your doubles, then on to station 8. At least, that's how the guys here were shooting it.

11. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Joe- all the skeet finals are doubles and reverse doubles, out of a total of 16 birds. Shot off the centre 3 stations .It's really tough for them!

Eightbore- here is the new rules link-
    http://www.issf-sports.org/theissf/rules/english_rulebook.ashx

Hap- double trap don't use all 15 issf trap machines, just trap 7, 8 and 9. You shoot at them from each station making the pairs from lane 1 like shooting 2 left handers and from lane 5 like 2 right handers.

Harold- I think your referring to the Trap schemes, not doubles. But you are right, they ditched the 3.5 Mtr high birds from trap.

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Aussie Dan, I'd forgotten that, only three traps would need to oscillate a few degrees then!!

Hap

13. pufftarget

pufftarget Active Member

Hal:

It looks like a number of the singles schemes have at least one target where the angle is changed. The new schemes are up on the ISSF web site around page 432?

Chuck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.