1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone tried Rio target loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rebeldog1, Apr 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rebeldog1

rebeldog1 TS Member

Always used Winchester AA trap loads,recently bought Remington Gun Club(haven't tried it yet)how does Rio target load 12ga. compare?Dick's Sporting Goods in my area sells the REmington Gun Club for 6.99 a box,found Rio at another store for 8.99 a box,is it better or not?I never heard of it before.

2. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I have used a lot of Rio's and I like them but Gun Club are comparable and the hulls are reloadable so I wouldn't pay more for Rio's.Jerry

3. rebeldog1

rebeldog1 TS Member

So Rios aren't reloadable?Not that I have the equipment or plan to reload but recycling is kind of important to me.Sustainable resources and all that,whatever might get me laid.

4. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Rio's sound punky in cold weather, OK in warm. Blue is my favorite color.

5. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Prettiest ammo out there and some folks seem to do well with them but even my bad reloads shoot better for me.

6. Baber

Baber TS Member

Rios are reloadable Have reloaded 1000's of them. Yes... They don't like cold weather but neither do I.

T

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Rios are reloadable...but what do you have when you're done? They are the poster child for hulls that were never intended to be reloaded. Check the base wads for movement and splits first.

Keller

8. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

I sometimes use them in bunker. They're no B&P, but they're also less expensive.

9. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I really like them, so does my 1100.

RE: Rio at another store for 8.99

You can get them at Gamaliel Shooting Supply for $5.95 (when in stock).

I pick them up via a club buy from time to time. See a lot of them being sold out of the back of pickup trucks when in Florida.

10. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Good shells. $54.99/ flat at Gander a couple of weeks ago ansd they had quite a few on the shelf

11. fly

fly Active Member

Hard Primers, but shoot OK.

12. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Rio's seem to be the most available economy shell right now. They are priced
    $55 a flat and up. There are also premium Rio's that cost considerably more but I'm sure the $8.99 ones referred to above is just a ripoff by the store.
    Our club has stocked a lot of them. I shoot the one ounce 1210fps, 7 1/2 shot.

13. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

Their 1oz. load seems to be pretty good for a Eurotrash shell.
    But life is too short to load these hulls.
    The Fed. game/target and Rem. Gun Club are much better for a cheap shell to reload.

14. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I find little to no difference between the two shells. I would buy the cheaper shell and shoot it. But, The Gun Clubs are the most desired hull to reload around here. Don't worry about your shells, just keep your eye on the target. If you care about our planet and want to think "green", then make sure you dispose of your empties properly!!! Good Luck and break em all. Jeff

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Try the Rio Handicap loads, them babies will make a believer out of you ... They kick like all get out of hell ... By the time you get done shooting 100 of them you will be drooling all over yourself and the world will look funny until your eyes refocus ... Good game shells though ... I don't reload so I have no idea about reloading them ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

16. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Bill is right. Even the "light" 1210 fps one ounce Rios I shoot in an auto kick a lot.
    The 1280fps one ounce hurt a little. I imagine the handicap shells are downright painful.

I suppose if recoil is a problem, you could just get a Butler and shoot them in that.

17. jty

jty Member

My Perazzi punched holes in primers. Only shell that has ever happened with.

18. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Listen to Bill, (WPT). The Rio's are just what they are advertised as: A cheap trap load. You will get what you pay for in this case. I tried the Rio's, and they beat the snot out of me. At one time, I shot a lot of the Wolf ammo, and found that their 3 dram handicap load was much softer shooting than their 23/4 dram loads were. That being said, they both had a pretty stout recoil. The plus side of shooting the Wolf ammo was their shot was the hardest, most uniform shot I ever shot. They would crush the targets, problem being that they would eventually crush your shoulder along the way... Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

19. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

They are probably trying to make up for when they first came into the States. They advertised soft recoil. They got it by not producing the speeds on the label. We ran them over chronographs and most of them did not come close to the speed on the box. If the box said 1200fps you were lucky to have 1100. Lot of difference.

The cases do reload for games pretty good. They're a large case and a lot will go into it. The base wads -will- come out but if you load with a mec and only use them once, they're good throw aways. The primer pocket is larger, so you have to use their primer or another oversize primer.

If you are looking for a better shell, I would suggest the Remington's.

Ajax

20. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

I heard from a wholesaler that Rio will not be sending the states any ammo this year. So that means another ammo shortage.

Ken Cerney

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how good are rio target loads

rebeldog1

remington gun club target loads vs rio target loads

rio handicap loads vs aa