1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone tried Quietus for Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Gatguy, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gatguy

Gatguy TS Member

After 50 years of shooting the constant ringing in my ears is a real nuisance! Has anyone tried this product 'Quietus' that is advertised on TV??
    If you have, does it work? Is it expensive? Or is it just another scam?
    Dick C.

2. setter

setter Member

Here's a couple of recent threads.

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Dick,

I will tell you what the doctors tell me:

The most common cause of tinnitus is nerve damage from years of exposure to noise. The only thing that repairs nerve damage is time.

Tinnitus can also be cause by come medications (aspirin therapy among others). Stop the meds IF YOU CAN and the tinnitus will go away.

Nose and ear infections can also cause tinnitus. Relief will come once these are diagnosed and treated.

I'm in the nerve damage group. Since only time fixes nerves that be repaired and since you can't buy time, what does that tell you about that product??

MK

4. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I just purchased "Ring No More" for a 6 month supply at $170 . Take 2 pills a day which taste like a sugar pill and if it doesn`t help , I get my money back . We`ll see ?? They are homapathic vitamins so they say . Only wished I was still working and could have had them analized at Bristol Meyers Squibs . For other reasons my doctor told me to take 1 aspirin a day so maybe I`m defeating the Tinnitus by taking aspirin ? I may stop taking it today.

5. Gatguy

Gatguy TS Member

I am also one of those that takes an aspirin a day after I had a heart attack.... I guess tinnitus is a small price to pay if the aspirin helps to prevent another HA, believe me, they're not fun!!
    Dick C.

6. JTPTM1

JTPTM1 TS Member

there are different kinds and pitches of tinnitus. some worse than others. i have it bad. for many years. hear it 24 hours 365. hear it when i talk. been to a bunch of doctors in 3 states. honest ones have said nothing they can do. can't fix those bent over hairs yet. was going to try the implant but has only 20% chance with my type and costs alot of money. i sleep with a fan or tv on to hide the noise. low rumbling sounds help. best med i've found is cutty sark and you don't need a script. before bedtime works great. don't know about quietus but i bet it's a scam. joe

7. Janet

Janet TS Member

I spoke to ear doctor at length on this subject and he said there was no cure.
    Iam so used to ringing that if it stopped, I would probably think I had just
    died or something. LOL

8. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Mine's so bad I must have permanent nerve damage in my brain. And when they say nerve damage heals with time they must be talking about death.

9. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

I've had a very bad case of tinnitus for 40 straight years with no let up, I did it to myself initially by shooting a 100 rounds of full power handloads thru a 4" 357 magnum every weekend with no hearing protection. I didn't know anyone who used protection, they didn't talk about it in the gun magazines, just pure ignorance. I would try just about anything to have a quiet moment, I was blessed with superior hearing, in fact I could hear tones humans aren't supposed to. That was the frequency it started at and there is nothing that will mask it. It has gotten worse over the years and now is covering lower frequency's, I try my best to protect my ears but it's about impossible not to get hit with a harmful noise during normal life. Being in the middle of a pretty big explosion a few years ago didn't help matters any.

I have a friend who got it about the same time as me and he has even had an operation in Memphis IIRC but it did not help. He buys everything that comes along and pays for every treatment that comes along but nothing has even helped. You guys that don't have it protect your ears, don't even shoot a 22 without earpro, it's a cumulative thing and you have no way of knowing when you hit your limit of damaging noise and get left with a recording of what you lost.

I saw the commercials for 'Quietus" but it sounds too good to be true, maybe I'm wrong and someone will report back that it works.

10. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

They have a full page ad in Popular Science .

11. willing

willing Member

When I first got Tinnitis the hearing doctor told be it was because I was losing my hearing at that frequency. He said that when that frequency went dead the tinnitis would stop. It probably has at that particular frequency, now it's working on another.
    Bill

12. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Willing, my Dr. explained it to me simply that I had damaged that part of my hearing and mother nature left me with a recording of it. That seems to fit my situation.

13. shootintom

shootintom TS Member

I didn't know I had it for a long time. Mine was service related. It seems that firing .50 cal. and M60's with no hearing protection will do that for you. Courtesy of sunny South East Asia! A few years ago I heard (no pun intended) of a treatment that some doctors were doing in Nashville called a Lidocaine Drip. I had read up on it but after talking to a gentleman who was teaching a mine safety course that I had to take I knew there was no help for mine. He explained that the micro filia (tiny hairs) in the ear break off and float around in there and this is what causes the ringing. So everything you hear causes those hairs to move and they never quiet down. I had been to a Dr. years ago and the first question he asked was "Can you live with it?" I thought it a rather odd question and he proceeded to explain that there is a high rate of suicide involving tinnitus. He told me of only 2 treatments that worked and one was a heavy addictive drug and the other is a masking unit similar to a hearing aid that produces a white noise in the same frequency of the ringing. I chose to just live with it. Oh well.

Just my experiences. HTH

Tom

14. Gatguy

Gatguy TS Member

Thanks for all the replies, the consensus is: suck it up!! Nothing will help.
    Dick C.

15. EZMONEY

EZMONEY TS Member

Your ears will stop ringing on the first day that you spend on the wrong side of the grass.

16. wproct

wproct Member

I'm almost 65, been a shooter all my life and hadn't had any problems at all, thought I was immune to it. Then, like a dummy, I bought an IPOD and started listening to LOUD music while I walked. After about 3 years of listening while walking about an hour a day, the ringing in my ears started. Should have taken those warnings about earphones serious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

anybody still shoot with tinnitus

filia repair tinnitus