1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone tried Hypnosis for flinch?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Beretta Blue, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beretta Blue

Beretta Blue TS Member

I've got a problem, I've started to collect old trap guns. I love the thought that I'm "one" in a long gone list of people who've shot them. I shoot them, some more than others, but use them all during the year.

Lately I've developed a flinch, not all the time just at the most in-opertune moment. Release triggers on these old guns is not an option. I'd like to try hypnosis, if it works, so much the better, but I'd like to ask if anyone has tried it and did it work.

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Wife tried it when she could no longer set a release and it worked perfectly. $1,100 worth of hypnotherapy and she went out and broke a hundred straight with no issues since.

Not cheap but it might work!!

3. Recoil Problems

Recoil Problems TS Member

I believe that there probably are hypnosis tapes out there some place.
    If anyone knows let us know. I certainly would buy and try one

4. Vickie

Vickie Member

Yep, I did and it worked. Got rid of my flinch. I had about 4 sessions. It does work, but they tell me all people can't be hypnotized. I believe it is genetic.

Vickie

5. Beretta Blue

Beretta Blue TS Member

I'm feeling pretty good about this.........

6. Gatguy

Gatguy TS Member

I tried it but start clucking like a chicken every time I say 'pull'! LOL

7. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Hypnosis is very different than the "stage show" junk many of us were exposed to as youngsters. In real hypnosis you don't go to sleep (unless you want to, but that might be the end of your session) you are totally aware of what is happening, in control, and can stop any time. One can actually hypnotise one's self but it is much easyer to work with someone who is good at it.

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I know people in other shotgun sports also have the dreaded flinch too but we never hear that much about those shooters? I wonder why?

With trap targets, we can get lulled to sleep very easy thinking it's an easy game is my thoughts. Phil Kiner has written many times that a lot of shooters don't see the target with enough intensity!! How do we decipher what this great shooter meant by that statement? Looking yet not seeing with enough intensity? When shooting, how do you merely see the targets and is there more to actually look for once it pops above the traphouse roof line? I feel one of the keys to activating eye intensity on a target is looking at the leading edge of it's direction! Once a shooter attains the ability to apply that intensity to most of the targets, the dreaded flinch also disappears!! Eye intensity keeps the mind busy making sure all the right connections are made for a successful shot! We must learn how to allow the clay to be hypnotic for us and "in-the-zone" so to speak!!

Hap

9. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Interesting.....those that proclaim that a release is the cure for a flinch, are saying that hypnosis will help......

I thought hypnosis worked on the part of your brain that you have no control over.......That's the same part, of your brain that pulls the trigger.

If you are pulling any trigger on "your" command.....you will have a flinch.

10. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

A sharp stick in the eye will work better!!

Curt

11. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I u u u used t t t to fl flflinch, but ggggggot hyp hyp hypnononotized and ttttthe flinches wentwentwent away and seeming llllleft nnnnno side effects!

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

It works. If you WANT to be hypnotized to lose a bad habit, then it will do the trick. If you do not want to be, you won't.

Kept me from going to a release. The discipline I enjoy the most does not allow the release.

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The only time I tried hypnosis was to try to quit smoking 15 or more years ago. The last thing the doctor(?) had me do as I left her office was throw my pack of cigarettes in her trash can. I don't think the hypnosis worked because I stopped at a convenience store a block away and bought another pack.

I finally quit cold turkey almost 12 years ago and have absolutely no desire to smoke. But I do still flinch...

Ed

14. 221

I'd be, and I'm sure others would also be, interested to hear what the shooting expert that does hypnosis on the side, actually whispers in your ear to curb your flinching habit.

Wouldn't he have to understand what causes it first?

Smoking is something you do manually.....pulling a trigger is beyond a humans ability to manipulate.....unless of course you flinch.

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

221, you reckon our military snipers making the mile shots are using a release trigger?? Hap

16. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Gene,

Miliary snipers might be using "set" triggers, sort of like a "Canjar" trigger??? Very light triggers in varminting keep the cross hairs on the rodent at 300 yards! Interesting what the military uses; I believe snipers shooting at huge distances use a 50 caliber....308 maybe "only" out to 1/3 of a mile (About 500 yards) tops? Remember, those technicians are trying for "one shot: one kill" and are shooting into a "zone" approximately 12" x 12"..so hardly easy at long ranges.

Experts out there likely can answer for sure. I'm just speculating/maybe blowing smoke based upon varminting experience.

17. 221

Rifle marksman and release triggers......now that's funny......I have triggers that are under 2oz and you can flinch with them also.....a shotgun shoots such an excess of shot at a target, allowing flincher's and release shooters to get by with bad habits.....shooting a rifle or pistol outs you really quick.

Set triggers,per se, have been obsolete for a long time.....there are 2 stage triggers....used mostly to get around Service Rifle rules.

BTW those mile shots are urban legends......a 30cal for instance, drops around 30 feet in 1000 yds. Depending on case size......That's right <>360 inches!!!!! Even a 50 bmg drops so far at 1 mile, you would have to aim at an airplane to hit something at a mile......there are shooters hitting paper and steel targets at a mile.....there's a place in Ohio where they have a target at 1680yds and some have shot unreal groups there.......but hitting a target in a combat zone at a mile is a pipe dream.

18. Recoil Problems

Recoil Problems TS Member

Again I ask what about audio tapes that work in a SELF hypnosis manner

ARE THER ANY OUT THERE

19. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I have a contractor friend that flinch's with his nail guns.....he is so funny to watch!!

Curt

20. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

2 years ago I saw a hypnotist who works with olympic trapshooters. I went through a 6 week program with him to imporve my concentration and confidence, and i believe that it helped me. If you go in with a positive attitude, and actually WANT to be hypnotized, it will work. If you think hypnotism is nonsense and go in very skeptical, it will NOT work. You have to be willing to accept it in order for it to work. It helped my concentration, so i would imagine you could use it to cure a flinch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hypnosis to stop flinching

hypnotherapy for shooters