1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone still use a waterbed???

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by MX/MT, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MX/MT

MX/MT TS Member

We need a new mattress and it seems like everything we've tried wears out in no time.

We've used standard innerspring (sag, nearly a 'hole' where we lay no matter how often we flip it), Soma bed - foam with water inserts (worked good but foam compressed and ended up like innerspring), Memory foam ( ended up same as innerspring).

We're considering a Sleep Number bed, but hear horror stories along with rave reviews. Haven't looked at them but if the 'shell' is foam, I can see it compressing over time (see soma bed).

The only mattress we ever had that stayed the same as long as we owned it was a waterbed (quite a few years ago). We got rid of it more because it was "out of style" more than anything else.

Just wondering if there's any reason not to go back to one?? - if they're even available any more.

Just curious if I'm having a mid-life crisis or what? Just want a good night's sleep.

2. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

Started on a water bed about 35 years ago. Still have one at the farm but went to a reg mat with a memory foam pad on top at the city house. The water bed is still the tops. When the wife comes down to the farm she still raves about a good nite sleep. You can still buy them but is is not as easy as before only 1 or 2 stores in Louisville KY

3. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

This thread inspired me to go down in the basement and dig up my old water bed (right next to my lava lamp). I put it away some 30 years ago and went to a conventional spring bed. When I went to reassemble this old relic, a bag a weed was still taped to the frame rail. OH my...the good Ol' days.

4. kolarkim

kolarkim Member

went away from mine a few years ago (after 20 some years). tried reg mattress it was ok for a while got holes. then tried nautalis sleep number bed was ok and pretty good but also kinda developed holes. went back to a waterbed about 6 months ago AHHHH glad to be back. I got 90% waveless with fiber insert (old one had fiber insert), this one isnt as wavy as my last one but close. wish I had went with 80 or 85% waveless but am still glad to be back on water. getting a little hard to find and I know alot of you dont like ebay but there are quite a few on there do your research. good luck KK

5. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Make sure your household insurance will cover the damage if it leaks. Some policies specifically exclude that. I turned mine into a regular bed and bought a really good California King mattress. The really good mattresses are well worth the money.

6. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

We have had a Sleep number bed for over 5 years.
    Best matteress we ever had. Love it!

7. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

The only waterbed I remembered was from some sleazy motel in the "70s, almost broke my back. Can't deal with it.

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

You get what you pay for!

A K Mart be4d isn't going to last very long!

I remember trying a waterbed back in the hippy dippy do days ... my wife got seasick!

35 years ago I bought a top of the line California King bed and it is still in good shape ... even though I am a typical trap shooter (not exactly a light weight!)

9. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

When we were first married, (1973) we were pretty broke and the only thing we could afford was a waterbed. It was the wavey kind. not much in the way of baffles. It was comfortable... but if you moved, so did your partner...

I came home late one night and my wife was already in bed sleeping. I tiptoed into the room and got undressed. As I was walking around the end of the bed I tripped over our black dog and did sort of a ugly swan dive into my side of the bed. Those that know me understand I'm not a little guy. (Gravitationally challenged.) My wife was hit by the resulting tsunami and catapulted out of the bed onto the floor! I wish I could have seen the look on her face. (It was dark, remember.)

Thus ended our ownership of a waterbed. Sleep numbers have been the bed of choice for the last 15 years or so and they are great. However, I still slept better on the now forbidden waterbed.

Bob

10. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

Still do use one. Went from the old type with no baffels to one that did which killed by joints (especially my hips). Had to switch to something else, tried a latex foam mattress, both of us hated it, it was hot and eventually very uncomportable. Then went to waterbed with baffels/coils, did not really like it but it eventually leaked, got one that has tubes now. My side has tubes with more baffels than my wifes does. It is better than we have had in a long time but I am sure there are better ones out there.

11. shubble72

shubble72 TS Member

sleep number they are the best my sleep number is 25.love it

12. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

You can't beat a water bed when you been out in the cold all day and that water heater is cranked up. And they are very good for certain coed athletic events also.

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Bob, I am still laughing. Too funny

14. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I just built frames and headboards for two California Queen beds for me and mama. We do the Ozzie and Harriet thing now. In the same room but seperate beds. I am sure we will continue to use waterbeds. We both love them. There are plenty of websites to get good quality components for waterbeds. The hardest thing is to get good sheets for california length beds, but its definitely worth the search. The extra length on the californias, for me really adds to the comfort level. I have a 57 yr old back and nothing gives me a good nights sleep like a GOOD waterbed mattress.

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

We got the Sleep number bed and really like it, comfortable and after 4 years just as good as the day we set it up ... I had a water bed with baffles in it and loved it, might start looking around for the second bedroom just to have one around for old times sake ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

16. bigunn

bigunn TS Member

If you have memorey foam and want to bring it back or even a favorite chair and if you have a steamer you can steam the foam back to it's orginal shape , even your favorite chair. bigunn

17. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I am still laughing at Bob Schultz...

18. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

They are like laying on a fat chick.

19. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

only when I wet the bed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.