1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone still use a Straight or Safety Razor

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bigdogtx, Apr 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

I know it's old fashioned and seems to be a lost art,,,,,,just reminds me of a simpler time.......

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I use a safety razor - a Gillette Fusion. From my teens through my 30s, for birthdays and Christmases, I've received almost every brand of electric shaver and have used them with and without all the popular pre- and after-shave beard and skin conditioners. The result was always the same - burning skin and a lousy shave.

But I have friends who use electric shavers and love them. I guess you have to have shaver-friendly facial hair. I sure don't.

Ed

3. archangel

archangel Member

My dad was an old school barber, that's all he used. He used a strap to hone the blade ect. It is a lost art. Mike

4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Yeah, a double edge safety razor. Being a rancher I don't shave every day (the cows don't notice) ......... an electric shaver doesn't work too good on a 7 day beard.

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    A safety razor? A good one runs in the $25 to $65 range. I can buy a lot of cheap disposables for that price. Maybe if I had inherited one I'd use it.

And in my family the razor strap was used to hone something else.

As for electric razors, I've had three and hated them. I have a small one but only use it for beard, sideburn and mustache trimming. never for shaving.

6. crusha

crusha TS Member

bigdog, does senior smoke know you're stealing his thread topics?

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I still use a Black Badger hair shaving brush and shaving soap but I use a modern 5 blade razor with it.

8. shadow

shadow Active Member

I learned to shave with a straigr razor and did so for several years. Now use disposable razors. If I tried to shave with old straight razor I would probably bleed to death.

9. bigdogtx

Buzz,,,,,,hope he doesn't mind,,,,,,,kids got me a gift certificate and I got my first straight razor shave with it,,,,,,,,,what an experience!!!!

10. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

I started using a straight razor and a mug and brush in 1968. Still use them, only now I have a razor with a replaceable blade. While on the subject, who remembers the slot in the back of the medicine cabinet, for desposing the used blades?

11. Reinar

Reinar Member

For the vast majority of guys out there who have never tried a double edge safety razor; you really ought to give it serious consideration. The quality of the shave combined with the sweet treatment of your face is hard to believe. Using a quality, heavy, nicely balance razor (something like a Edwin Jagger: the Perazzi/Kreighoff/Kolar of the shaving world) as you remove the lather, having been applied with a good Badger hair brush, your day with begin by putting a smile on your face.

Gone are the skin irritations caused by contemporary multi-blade razors and electrics. No more growing bacteria between all those blades. Further, the quality/closeness of the shave is simply unattainable with the new multis or electics.

Finally, while the upfront razor cost is much higher the ongoing cost of using is miniscule. A soap puck in an old coffee cup is just a couple bucks and the blades are very cheap. Blades usually provide optimum performance for 3/4 days.

If I sound like a bit of a zealot; I am. Using an older style DE Safety razor is transformational. It is like the sublime swing of that Perazzi or the soft perceived recoil of an 1100; it is a beautiful thing. Further, they can't make us younger looking but they can make us/me slightly less ugly.

12. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

YES, a straight razor. Concealed Carry is illegal in Illinois.

Larry

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I tried out a straight razor - you have to have your head on straight to do it and a real steady hand. Not the thing for first thing in the morning. I realized why it was that guys would pay fairly steep prices to have a barber do the job.

Disposables from then on.

14. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Straight razor?? I have since switched to a mechanical razor that runs on Kerosine.

15. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

I use a 1965 Gillette Double Edge Safety Razor, Silver Tip Badger Shaving Brush, and the shaving crème from the Art of Shaving every day.

I also have a collection of vintage Gillette double edge safety razors.

Jim C

16. Birddogfella

Birddogfella Member

What AVE ED said in the 1st reply.
    olde pharte

17. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

When I was a GI in Thailand whenever I would get a hair cut I would also get a shave with a straight razor

It was a good sensation not sure weather it was the shave or the cute little pooying in hot pants and halter top shaving me

18. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

I used a Gillette safety razor, with the screw on head until 1981. I brought my future wife home from a date, and her mother gave me a new Gillette Trac-II disposable razor. She told me that if I was going to date her daughter anymore, that I was going to use that Trac-II. I said-'Yes Ma'am'. I've used one ever since. LOL.

19. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

Do they still make the old Wilkenson double edged blades? I used them in the 50's and 60's. I would love to know the name of a great safety razor and where to get one.
    I never had the guts for a straight razor but I got a few from the old barbers who use to wrap your face with a hot towel. Man I am getting old.

20. bigdogtx

Looks like this fellow has done this a couple times.......:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

does anyone use the same de razor every day