1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone smoke food?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Markcp, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Markcp

Markcp TS Member

Hello everyone,

With the start of the outdoor cooking season coming to Minnesota soon, I was interested in hearing what type of wood fired smokers anyone uses? I have a small vertical styled gas fired water smoker, but would like to get into a bit larger smoker with side mounted wood box.
    Thanks, Mark

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

A guy named Traeger from Mt Angel Oregon ( just north of Salem) makes a whole line of wood pellet smokers. You can also use them as a grill. There is a variety of different wood pellets available. I personally like the cherry and apple unless I am smoking Salmon, then I use alder. Trust me, you will be happy with a Traeger. I added a digital dial with a temp readout. Thats probably standard by now. I have used mine for 8 years and have made some oustanding barbeque with it. It must have an electric outlet to plug into. ( about the only draw back) I put my pork butt on and go to bed, it will not flare up. Can't say enough good about the quality and service. I see them about everywhere I go so it should not be hard to find a dealer. MYself, I go right to the factory when I buy. I have one big enough for a whole hog and am considering a smaller one to hook up to the campsite generator. Check them out at their website http://www.traegergrills.com/?gclid=CI-9mKWGv5ICFSoXiQod1yozzQ

3. kgp

kgp TS Member

Mark

Check out the Big Green Egg. You can use it as a smoker, or sear steaks at 700 degrees. Far and away the most versatile cooker I have ever used. I'm cooking pizza on mine tonight.

Ken

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Do you want to try something GOOD??? Get a jar of this Walkerswood Jerk seasoning. The directions are on the jar. You mix it with vegi-oil and kosher salt and marinade the chicken parts (I usually get thies and legs) for at least 12 hours and throw on the smoker for about 4 1/2 hours.

GREAT stuff!!

Tron

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

TRON

never saw that stuff before. I am really into cooking and smoking. I will look for it and try it.

6. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

I dont smoke food but I will smoke a good cigar on more than a few occasions of the day but I will eat the heck out of some good smoked food though.

7. Markcp

Markcp TS Member

I have a pretty decent gas grill now, Phoenix stainless. I have heard great things about the Traeger, but something about setting a thermostat and watching augers feed the fire with wood pellets? I would like to go with the old style where you feed the woodbox and adjust the vents? I was interested in this "outlaw" model with the ad on woodbox.

http://www.chargriller.com/shop/grills/outlaw.html

8. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

When I was young in the 60's, we tried smoking dried banana peels, but never got much from it.

9. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

Tried smoking fish once, hard to keep them lit.

tony

10. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I've tried smoking fish, before I knew it my lungs were full of fish scales and I burned through to Bic lighters.

11. LLSCjrshooter

LLSCjrshooter TS Member

Markcp,

My dad and I do two things in life; shoot trap (I'm the competitor, he's lousy but has a great time anyway) and smoke/barbeque!

We have competed with another fellow with the equipment and have occasionally gotten a ribbon here and there. Always, though, we have a great time and eat like there is no tomorrow.

At home, we use a simple Weber, and either apple or pecan wood if either is available. We use indirect heat almost all the time, and wrap the meat after the smoke has maximally penetrated the meat, and sometimes either add broth or apple juice, etc.

Some say that our baby back ribs are the finest on the planet. Well...that's a nice compliment, and they are mondo, but I have had better by others at competitions.

If you have any questions, then email us at the above address.

Enjoy,

Matt

12. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

I want you all to know that this and the mushroom thread have made me hungry and I must now go to lunch ... dang you all for doing this to me. ;-)

13. Markcp

Markcp TS Member

I'm looking to use it for brisket, ribs, pork ect. I may even load it up time to time with Alaskan salmon. I have smoked everything above in my vertical smoker except brisket. With only two trays, and the uneven heating in the vertical style, I'm limited on what I can do. If I do more than one tray now, I need to rotate them from top to bottom during the cooking proccess, to keep them at the same pace.

14. otnot

otnot Active Member

Mark if your having temperature issues you need to add a fan to circulate the air inside your smoker. I'm not a red meat smoker but I smoke salmon for a living. My main smoker is an Enviropak horizontal airflow, and is a single truck which holds 500 lbs. This smoker has a microprocessor that allows me to control the humidity,temperature,time,airflow and it will actually clean it's self. I also have an old Alkar that I converted to a cold smoker that I make Lox with. This machine is very simple but you have to manually change all the settings. You can find this type of smoker used for around $5000-$8000. They both have external smoke generators which use sawdust. For fish I prefer Alder but for beef and fowl I like applewood. The best fish to smoke is Black Cod. It has so much oil that when it's done smoking the entire bottom of the smoker is slick with oil.

Jim

15. Alpha_Three_Niner

Alpha_Three_Niner TS Member

I would definately check out the big green egg. I won't use anything else. I bought one a year ago and I use it every weekend. I cook with it in rain, snow, sleet, and high wind.

My only regret is that I didn't buy one twenty years ago...

http://www.biggreenegg.com/

16. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

There is another smoker out there that I have seen but cant for the life of me remember the name of it ... but it is a plywood box type of cuban smoker type thingie. Bobby Flay did a throwdown challenge with it and that was not the first time I had seen it being used either.

Anyone know the thing I'm talking about? Kind of a plain jane coffin lookin type of box smoker thing.

17. DJGUNS

DJGUNS TS Member

Hello Mark

I have three "Smokintex" units here at our Club and they are great, I can do five large 12lbs Briskets per unit, they use real wood chunks, www.smokintex.com

Also look at www.cookshack.com same type of units.

Good Luck / DJ

18. deckart

deckart TS Member

WE used to smoke a lot. Especially carp from the Wolf River in spring. They tasted better than salmon, less fatty and had no PCB's. Mels grocery used to sell it in their store and couldn't keep it stocked. Uncle had the old, ugly refrigerator that did a great job. Just looked like hell. Not a problem living in the sticks though. deckart

Ps applewood, from apple orchards trimming their trees, was the best and free.

19. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Tron,

Marinate a venison tenderloin in the Jerk seasoning once and smoke it 'til it's about 140 degrees inside.

Also delicious!

20. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

Leave it to deckfart to eat a junk fish like Carp. BTW deckfart, you did you know it had no PCBs? God loves idiots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.