1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone shot a deer with 22-250?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bodybuilder, Apr 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Just wondering if anybody uses this caliber on deer and what type bullet you use?

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I have not shot a deer with my .22-250, though I have hunted deer with it. An old hunting partner of mine has shot deer with a Savage 99 using 70 grain bullets intended for large game. Worked fine at short to moderate range. It is not a long range cartridge for deer. With the right bullets, it's on the heels of the .243 for large game. Shot placement is critical, unless you like doing a heckuva lotta tracking. If you're an average shot, use a bigger cartridge.

3. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I have shot a couple of deer with the 22-250, awesome, meat shreader, are a couple of descriptions for the effect, of the 55gr bullet.

One of larger desert muley's,(at the time it was largest) I have seen taken was with the 55gr load, it did take three through the heart, at a range that they didn't even try to open up, the deer made somewhere between 50 and 70 yards before fell down dead. With a 30 cal even in belted mag, I don't think the effect of the builts would have changed much, it was that long of shot!

A smith here had built a 222, he took it out just for the heck of it, three seasons, three really nice deer, he finally said he put it in his safe because he was worried he would get into a once in a life time trophy giving him a shot that he didn't trust, so he stopped carrying it, we think he just got bored three straight openning day bucks bigger then most people thought where in that area, well who knows.........

Most of the hunters that I know that can find deer when everybody else say there aren't any. Have no problem with carrying 22 centerfires to hunt deer with and rarely, propably never, fail to bring home the deer once they shoot at it. 4 to 8 people aren't a lot but enough!

Al

4. southpark

southpark TS Member

Shoot at a distance and caliber choice that, mated with your skill, will take your game quickly and cleanly.

5. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

No bullet is worth a crap "in brush".

If you must use a caliber that was never designed to shoot deer with, at least use a bullet that's not going to blow up. Today there are tougher .22 bullets on the market. One of the better ones would be the 60 grain Nosler Partion Bullet.

There's a good reason why .22s are not legal for deer hunting in many States. Check the minimum caliber requirements before getting all involved with this .22 line of thought.

6. goosedowner

goosedowner Member

I have killed half a dozen deer with a rem 788 22-250. All were head shots and all were dead before they hit the ground. I was shooting Rem soft points.

Lee

7. BAP

BAP TS Member

I have shot a couple and found it adequate although not impressive. My father hunted with one for the last 25 years of his life and killed over 300 deer with it both during season and on deperdation ( night) permits in our bean fields. With a few exceptions most fell in their tracks or within 75 yards. I personally recommend a 270 Winchester. Bill

8. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

A good man that I had the priveledge to know shot wild burro's, for the vermin that they are, before the bleeding hearts got that stopped!

When he first got started the caliber of choice was the 270 win.

after the advent of the 220 swift he chose that and rarely had to second shoot anything to have it down and dead! he made believers out of a lot folks with his 220 swift.

the 22-250 may not be what 220 is, but the dear I hunt even at there largest aren't what those wild burro's are either, if I am placing my shots where I want them the 22 centerfires are way more then anyone needs! If I can't place my shot, a cannon is not big enough to do the job!

If I was guiding folks on hunts I would want then to shoot something that mo matter what placement, they get will leave the biggest possible blood trail for the longest amount of time possible, and leave a dead bled out critter when I got to it! I have been out with to many city folks that can't see a barn in broad day light and when you think they finally see it end up shooting the equivallent of the outhouse way away from were I think they are even looking, so if they actually knock it down where it stands Thats alot of work to figure out what and where and go find it, better to have it go a little way leaving an easy trail to follow!

that to me is the only reason to shoot anything bigger then a 243, even though I like my 30-06, I have NO doubts about taking anything in North America with a 22 centerfire!

Al

9. gordy h

gordy h Member

I have used a 22-250 sence 1969 52 grain Hornady hollow point, 39 grains of 760 win,powder. I have 3 lagre 8 pt and 4 10 point Wi. deer and 1 4x4 mule hanging on my wall.Plus many more, love to shoot it. I try for neck shots when possable.
    Good luck. Butch H

10. Wilma Harris

Wilma Harris TS Member

22-250 and the Sierra 55 gr. Spitzer and I have killed several whitetails. I have also killed 4 whitetails with the .17 Remington using factory ammo. The #1 rule with either is to always wait for a broadside shot and get the bullet into the rib cage and lungs/heart area. Try to limit your distance to not more than 150 yards so that the bullet still has plenty of velocity with these two.

I don't reccomend either as a deer cartridge, and prefer the 257 Roberts with a 100 gr. bullet, but they will get the job done when needed.

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Make sure you check your State hunting regulations.

A 22-250, though a capable cartridge, is illegal to use in Kansas, and I suspect some other States as well.

12. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Never with my 22-250's, but moons ago in my youth, shot many with the .22 rimfire. Deadly at close range and between the eyes. Flash light helps some. FD

13. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

not a legal caliber for deer in Alberta, but I would think plenty have been taken with it...6mm/.243 are the standard here...

Ron

14. famill00

famill00 TS Member

I once had a game warden here in KY tell me that more deer had likely been taken with a 22 long rifle than all legal hunting calibers combined. Food for thought....
    Forrest

15. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

One of my close friends in KY. has killed a box car load of deer(several were trophies) with a Model 700 .22-250.Almost all were killed with one shot. Last Fall his youngest daughter used it to drop one from their back deck at nearly 400 yds. The lovely miss is known to be quite a rifle shot herself and I guess the apple didn't fall too far from the tree. The deer she shot went down like a ton of bricks! I prefer a .308 or .30-06 myself, but after seeing several deer fall to the .22-250 I have to admit I'm much more impressed than I used to be. It's not a buffalo rifle by any means, but a good rifleman can get the job done with one with good bullets and shot placement.

16. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Well-Known Member

I have killed quite a few wild pigs with my 22-250 while hunting coyotes. Every one of these pigs were standing broadside and were shot in the ribs with a Hornady 55 grain V-MAX bullet. I would not recommend a 22-250 to go deer or pig hunting with. But the 22-250 will kill both if you pick your shots carefully.

17. Tim

Tim TS Member

I have killed two deer with a 22-250. One traveled about 30 yards before going down and the other about 12 yards. Like anything else, shot placement is very important to stopping the deer within eye sight because there will not be a blood trail. Tim

18. Model12Man

Model12Man TS Member

Guys,

Ive killed a truckload of coyotes, a few wild boar, and one stupid bobcat that thought he was going to sneek up and eat me in my tree stand while I was calling coyotes with a .22-250.... Bad kitty.

Im a big fan of the one shot kill, and it seems to me that regardless of how fast its going, with a .22 bullet, there just isnt alot of lead there.

You could probably drop an elephant with a .22 rimfire if you hit him in the eye, but as it is with many things, just because it could be done, doesnt mean that it ought to be done.

I carry a 257 weatherby magnum for deer and a 340 weatherby magnum for Elk in north america and cape buffalo in africa.

The 340 downright hurts when I shoot it, but when you have an angry cape buffalo that would like nothing better than to gore you to death, you dont feel it untill a few hours later

19. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

targetmaster, as told above, many states don't allow this caliber. With that stated once again, they darn sure will put a deer down efficiently! As with any caliber, bullet placement, efficiency, comfortability with your gun_of_choice is the key.

If its all you have and is legal, just be sure to spend the time practicing with it till you can make an efficient shots at various ranges and angles.

If the aforementioned is met, then in my view, you will be a more ethical hunter than the idiot that just bought his new 7mm Mag, 30-06, 300 win mag, etc and had the 22 year old non hunting sporting goods store clerk bore sight his rifle and then went hunting without ever dropping a hammer!!!!!!!!!!!

20. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Timb99, don't remember for sure but didn't KS go by cartridge length and,or foot pounds of energy at one time? My dad shot all of his deer with either a 25-20 Winchester mod. 92 or a 22-250 that I had built up on a Mauser action and a medium weight varmint barrel back in the mid sixties. I know that they weren't legal, but owning the farm below Lovewell Lake that he hunted on,didn't seem to bother him from shooting what he wanted to. And he was an ex
    cellent shot.--Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

anyone shoot deer with a 22

pictures of deer shot with a 22-250