1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone shooting Broad Bill Ducks

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by copper, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. copper

copper Member

Back in the day were the duck great flyers 200 decoys god in the snow was great they would come out of the snow there numbers had gone down had little to do with hunting as most declines red heads and canvas backs.

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

What is a Broad bill?? Shoveler?

3. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

No. it's a Bluebill, or Scaup, if you prefer. Greaters and lessers, lessers more common.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

dont just love it when someone posts then deletes the post?

5. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

It's a cousin to the Wood Bill...

6. copper

copper Member

We use to shoot a lot in snow back 20 plus years ago rafts of thousands in the bay at times. They fly great flocks turn in unison 200 plus decoys usually they were the duck and red heads the duck and Canvasback the fastest flying of all ducks. lay down boats in late winter cold stuff . ware I am from they were called broad bill
    [​IMG]
    through picture in there
    [​IMG]
    there is some now
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    some pictures of me a few years ago with some broad bill / some old decoys my grandfather was a guide and the light house keeper a hundred years ago how things have changed

7. copper

copper Member

some pictures of pictures and other stuff some might find interesting Dave I the pictures not great OH WELL

8. Setterman

Been duck hunting for 40 years and never heard them called broad bills. Must be a regional thing.

Blue bills, scaup, dumpster ducks, northern divers, twitters, and fish eaters. They don't actually eat fish, but to locals if it ain't a mallard it don't taste good.

9. copper

copper Member

They love corn years ago and brackish water how the corn got in water i don,t know . There were guys that had massive duck blinds I guided for them over 25 years ago. One of few ducks in my neck of wood that flew in snow puddle ducks flew before and after at one point I had 5 duck blinds and a couple duck boats.

10. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

Here in Tidewater VA we call them Blue Bills or Blue Pullets. 25 years ago they were the primary open water duck along with Buffleheads and Canvasbacks.

Shot one last year, have not seen any yet this year but it has been warm and we have not hunted yet,still Rock Fishing (not catching those either).
    I did have a friend shoot one two weeks ago.

Jim

11. copper

copper Member

They like the big open water also there would be thousands in rafts with the red heads and cans mixed in. I know a lot of the old duck clubs up North did a lot with them also. There numbers went down all of a sudden I think they were very selective in ware they breed and raised young. They were great shooting flocks of 20 to 30 birds lots of times.

12. Setterman

Yes, Shot one at Rondeau Bay. One of the other guys got it mounted. Wish I would have.

13. copper

copper Member

Ruddy ducks can hardly fly and are very small we never shot them

14. Itchyb

Itchyb TS Member

Setterman, a friend did some work on the local sewer plant here in Reno. He said he will never again touch a mallard. The settling ponds were covered with mallards,,,, all eating the floating corn. LOL

15. copper

copper Member

Now there some info I could do without But chickens eat ware they you know and when I was a kid there were duck farms were kind of ripe the beef were feed what best not to think about these things

16. Setterman

Yes, Shot one at Rondeau Bay. One of the other guys got it mounted. Wish I would have.

17. copper

copper Member

Ruddy ducks can hardly fly and are very small we never shot them

18. Itchyb

Itchyb TS Member

Setterman, a friend did some work on the local sewer plant here in Reno. He said he will never again touch a mallard. The settling ponds were covered with mallards,,,, all eating the floating corn. LOL

19. copper

copper Member

Now there some info I could do without But chickens eat ware they you know and when I was a kid there were duck farms were kind of ripe the beef were feed what best not to think about these things

20. Setterman

Itchyb, Been there, done that. We set up a hunt one morning and really got into the mallards. We noticed the brown ring on there breasts. Sewer plant ducks. Tasted like shit....literally!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.