1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone shooting Beretta A400?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by L21L39, Dec 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. L21L39

L21L39 TS Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Was wondering if anyone has one of the Beretta A400's and what they thought of it. I am considering an A400 sporting KO and am interested in opinions.

Thanks, Daryl
  2. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

Aug 29, 2007

I work p/t at a range and we have 2 of the A-400's on our rental rack. They have become the most asked for rental gun. We put around 35,000.00 rounds through the A-400 Xplor before we even cleaned it. We put about the same amount of rounds through the A-400 Xcel Before we cleaned that one. No problems, with either gun. We can't wait to get the A-400 Xtreme in as a rental gun. I keep asking the owner as we get asked 2 or 3 times/week if we have an A-400 Xtreme to rent. He says he keeps selling them before he can send one over from the store to the range. A buddy of mine bought the A-400 Xtreme. He has owned all sorts of semi-auto's and says this is the best semi-auto he's ever owned BAR None! (I think he owns or owned almost every semi-auto ever make or close to it.)

I've had the local 4H girls shoot the A-400's 12 ga with standard 1 1/8 oz 1210 fps rounds and they all LOVED shooting these Beretta semi's because they kick less than the 20 ga guns they normally shoot. (Some of the girls are very petite and still no problems.)

Bottom line. They have to be the softest shooting 12 ga of all time. They don't require any "Break In". They're light weight. They can handle 2 3/4, 3 or 3 1/2" (Except the Xcel which is the target version which only takes 2 3/4".) You can go straight from the goose blind shooting 3 1/2" goose hammers to 2 3/4" 1 oz loads, no problem, no changing anything. Just shoot it.

Last but not least - If you buy any other semi-auto, the day you shoot an A-400 is the day you will wish you bought an A-400.

Shoot safely, well and often!
  3. shotgun 1

shotgun 1 Member

Aug 25, 2006
    I have a 400 Xreme. Like most guns, there are some strong points and not so strong points. The gas system of the Xtreme is quite different than the other 400 models. The piston is similar in size to the 391's piston, but a much lighter weight. It does have the serrated elastomer band. While shooting in the rain, I had some problems with the band loading up with a sludge of firing residue leading to malfunctions. It's pretty simple to clean and that seems to be necessary with some regularity. The question I don't have answered is whether the residue from the shells used (Rem. Sport loads)is inclined to absorb moisture.

I shot the Xreme side by side with a Versa Max and despite Beretta's 70% recoil reduction claim, the Versa Max was noticeably softer shooting. Two friends shared the same impression. It wasn't a close contest.

The trigger pull is pretty good for an out of the box auto. It weighed in at 4 1/4 to 4 3/8's lbs.There is some travel and it isn't crisp, but it is light enough and smooth enough that I consider it a strong point of the gun. (I do believe a good trigger pull is an absolute asset to good shooting.)

The barrel is quite nicely done. Hammer forged and nickle plated, the bore, chamber and forcing cone are slick and shiny. I've used a variety of loads and it shows no tendency toward loading up with plastic. After a thousand rounds I pulled the choke tube and found it still clean and bright on the exterior.

The grip is shaped quite nicely IMHO. The distance from trigger to toe is 4", a bit shorter than many, and works pretty well with my smaller hands. I can't see a palm swell, but it feels like one is there. If that doesn't make sense to you, I understand.

Advertised to handle all loads, I've had problems with some 7/8's ounce loads cycling. I've also had it cycle those 7/8's ounce loads at different times. The manual recommends breaking it in with 1 1/8 ounce loads. I would think mine should be broken in by now, but perhaps not. (The Versa Max eats everything.)

Good gun? Yes. Walk on water???? Not quite. I'm going to give it a long ride with clays since the grip and trigger treat the arthritis in my trigger hand quite nicely and that has turned into a significant issue for multiple day shoots. Recoil is quite tolerable with any sensible target load.
  4. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Jan 29, 1998
    When You are ready for the A400 Xcel, call me. I have them with and without the KO system.
    Mike Battista
    727 410 5212
  5. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Dec 25, 2007
    One of my friends recently purchased an A400. His has the Kick-off. He sent it to Coles for a trigger job as soon as he bought it, and they did a great job.

I was able to shoot it on our last sporting clays outing. Quite frankly, I didn't notice much difference in recoil or handling between his A400, his Benelli Super Sport (Briley Upgrade version), and another friend's Beretta 391.

We were shooting 1 oz. loads in his A400, which is what he shoots in his Benelli. The A400 performed well, although the bolt would not always stay open after the second shot. There were no cycling failures.

It is a nice shotgun, but again, I didn't see that much difference (performance wise) between it and the other two I mentioned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
baretta xcel or benelli supersport better
benelli super sport 20 ga vs beretta xcel 20 ga for sporting clays

beretta a400 break in

beretta a400 xcel trigger work

beretta a400 xcel upgrades

beretta a400 xcel vs benelli super sport

beretta a400 xcel vs xplor

beretta a400 xtreme break in