1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AnyOne Shooting a CG MAGNUS Combo?????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by AHKNEENAH, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AHKNEENAH

AHKNEENAH TS Member

I was wondering If anyone here is shooting a Caesar Guerini Magnus combo? I am thinking about picking one of these up for my girlfriend and I know they are a new company but they make a pretty nice looking gun, but no one in my area has one we can try. Can I get some feedback before I buy one, I have heard alot of great things about them and the price is great.

Thanks
    Tim

2. AHKNEENAH

AHKNEENAH TS Member

I was wondering If anyone here is shooting a Caesar Guerini Magnus combo? I am thinking about picking one of these up for my girlfriend and I know they are a new company but they make a pretty nice looking gun, but no one in my area has one we can try. Can I get some feedback before I buy one, I have heard alot of great things about them and the price is great.

Thanks
    Tim

3. AHKNEENAH

AHKNEENAH TS Member

Thanks
    Tim

4. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Tim, My son shoots one he loves the gun. Bill

5. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Tim, I shoot the O/U for doubles and occasionally for singles. It is a very good gun, backed by a lifetime warranty and very responsive service. I also shoot one for sporting clays. I haven't gotten used to the Unsingle, though, yet many people at my club love it. As a suggestion, almost everyone puts a 7 oz recoil reduction device in the buttstock for a more lively balance (I like the Dead Mule as its hollow and you can remove the buttstock without removing the device). FYI, they are apparently coming out with a top single, which should be available as a combo. The Unsingle Combo doesn't have a selectable trigger; presumably the top single combo will. Excellent gun at a very competetive price.

WNCRob

6. jbrucejr

jbrucejr Member

Here is a copy of a posting I made to another similar thread - with some new comments added.

I had been shooting different guns trying to find out what I liked. A friend has 2 real nice P combos and a CG Maxis. I shot all 3 and I really liked the way the CG mounted and pointed. While doing this I found that I shoot far better with guns that shoot very high - like 100% or even a bit more. I would have loved to buy a P gun but the price pretty much took that off my plate.

I bought a used CG Magnus trap 34/32 combo from Guns Unlimited on December 26 - likely my Christmas for the next 10-15 years. It was formerly owned by "ink ball" here on TS - he traded for a K80.

This gun is great - I now have the single set to shoot 105% high. I shot a registered event 1/11 and I shot 13 targets over my average from 16yds, and based on my practice in the last couple of weeks I should have done better. I have only shot about 1500 registered targets total. (I have been shooting my Browning Special Sporting Clays for trap - it is my tubed skeet gun - and is now dedicated to that use.)

The CG has a 14oz mercury tube in the butt and a decelerator pad both of which ink ball put on when he had it. He said that it shoots like a 28ga, and I would second that opinion, even with factory AA handicap loads.

All I can say is that I am real glad that I could purchase a gun with adjustable ribs on both the single and OU and that has this level of quality at a price that I could afford. I did not pay that much more than the Browning Unsingle combo I had been considering from GU.

What is there to worry about - CG has a lifetime warranty and the pit-stop program to boot. I called them before I bought it, and they said that even though I was buying mine used that they would do all 3 pit-stops and it carries the lifetime warranty.

Since I posted this, I have shot another 500+ practice targets. My 16yd average in practice is now in the mid 90s (up from about 80) and my 20yd average has gone up about the same. I attribute most of this to the ability to adjust the gun to shoot where I look instead of learning to look where the gun shoots.

In short - I LOVE IT!.

John

7. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

I bought a Magnus 34" US / 32" OU in February of 2008. The length of pull (LOP) was too long 14 3/4" and the down pitch was too great about 3 1/2" at the muzzle when the rib was placed against the wall vertically. It did have some 'kick' to it because of the down pitch.

I have been shooting a long time and know what works for me. I took out almost all of the pitch to where it is now about 1/2" at the muzzle when placed against the wall, installed a 1 1/8" Kick-eez recoil pad, and shortened the LOP to 14 1/4". No recoil reducers and no recoil devices. Now the gun recoils but it doesn't 'kick'. My personal opinion is that a Gra-coil or any other recoil device is not needed if the gun is setup correctly for you.

I shot Ljutic's for years along with Remington 3200's for doubles but I must say the Caesar Guerini Magnus combo is the best trap gun I have ever owned. Make no mistake the gun moves very fast and may take some change in your shooting style to master. However the high rib makes seeing the target quicker much easier. Just make sure you don't move the gun until the bird has risen above your rib.

The Summit is a nice gun but I like the case-hardened finish and the gold birds of the Magnus better.

My 2 cents worth.

Michael Stephenson

AA-26.5-A

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.