1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone shooting a Benelli auto

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tgene, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tgene

tgene Member

I shoot a Beretta 391 for sporting clays and occasional trap and trap doubles. I'm getting tired of cleaning the gas recoil systems. I shot a friends Benelli Super Sport with composite stock just a couple rounds and it seemed to be quite soft shooting. Thinking of going to this recoil operated auto. Have any of you folks shot the Benelli's for an extended period of time found the recoil to be objectional? What's been your overall experience with this auto, good or bad... -g

2. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

I shot one one night. Only shot one round of trap with it, since to me it had more felt recoil than my Citori Plus, or my Ljutic. I expected better recoil absorption, given all that I had heard about the gun, but the guy who owned it shot my Citori while I shot his Benelli, and he also shot my Ljutic. He agreed that his gun had more recoil. He wasnt happy about that. Steve

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned

I have a Sport ll and this is one auto that really works. Easiest gun to keep clean as the gas system doesn't crud up. Crappy trigger and low impact prevents me from warming up to it totally!!

4. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

I shoot a Benelli Montefeltro. It has the inertia driven system. It has some recoil, but I don't find it objectionable. I also own and shoot a Browning XT that has mercury in the stock and weighs much more than the Benelli. The Browning has as much recoil as the Benelli and both barrels are ported on the Browning. I like the Benelli and haven't had any problems at all. Benelli has approx. 5000 rounds without even so much as a hiccup

5. vanman

vanman TS Member

I have both; super sport & II. I like shooting both but for me the II has less recoil. Recoil has a lot to do with the person holding the gun which is often over looked by several on this site. Use both for trap and sporting clay and have enjoyed the way I have been able to handle doubles or second shots. I wish I had one when Dove hunting. Easy to clean when needed. I'm not knocking other guns ( to each his own ) I like them and for the money well worth it.

Van Rader

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Man Eddie,

I hope that house is further away than it looks!

7. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

I agree with Tron, My neighbor shoots a Beretta 391 Teknys over his Super Sport with the composite stock and even with a forearm mercury weight his Beretta still shoots softer. Cleaning is a different story but good old Break Free CLP makes cleaning the Beretta's easy. Shoot it all day and put it away wet.

Jerbear

8. biff

biff Active Member

There's a Sub-Junior 12 years old from near Jackson, Tennessee shooting a Benelli Black Eagle very well and holds his own with all the other shooters his age, his name is Cody Thorne. He is getting better everytime I see him shoot, he's the only person I've ever seen shoot trap with a Benelli. Biff

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Tron,

Stop drooling. Your keyboard will short out.

10. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Tron then photoshop an alligator coming down the two track. ha ha

Jerbear

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I was going to get the cordobra model, just couldnt get the money out of my pocket...1600.00 arghh, then had to buy the higher combs and recoil pads extra.
    One member has the Franchi line enertia gun has put every type of load through it for 1.5years and I would be shocked if he actually did any cleaning other than a quick wipe down of the out side. He finally had some cycling issues over the weekend. I think it might have been his reloads.

12. qshot

qshot TS Member

I did own a motefeltro in a 12 didn't notice that much recoil the only reason I
    don't still have it i shoot mostly at a public range and I don't like to pick up
    my hulls so i shoot a Franchi Renaissance which most people wouldn't shoot skeet with but for some reason I like the franchi shotguns because of their light weight. I am on supplemental oxygen and every # i can take off the more i can shoot that is why i shoot 7/8 and 3/4 oz. 12 ga. loads. charlie

13. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Install the shim kit. makes a load of difference in both patterning and recoil. Loads of difference!!!!

I shoot the SBE for doves, small game, geese, Turkeys.

Shot many doves this year with it without any problems.

I shot more dove doubles this year because I could get on that second bird quicker than last year. I think shooting a lot of skeet and trap but... I think the shims really helped.

Light, tough, ridiculously easy to clean!!!

But.... I can put a lot of shells through that baby in a short amount of time. Man that cycling system is fast!!!

Try it!!!

14. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Yes!....I use a Benelli M2 for waterfowl and have also done pretty well in Trap with it from time to time!

15. tgene

tgene Member

Big Al 29, What is the shim kit you are refering to?

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

GE

Many of those guns come with a packet of shims that you can place between the stock and the receiver that allows you to adjust the cast (left-right) and drop (up-down) of the stock.

17. biff

biff Active Member

The young man who shoots a Benelli is pictured in the November issue of Trap & Field page 66 is the son of David and Sabrina Thorne, they are very proud of him and give him very devoted support! Cody, who is a lefty is able to shoot the Benelli auto with it throwing every empty across his vision on every shot. He has met Tom Knapp, trick shooter for Benelli, who has given Cody encouragement and hopefully may entice Benelli to recognize what a fine Benelli shooter they have and give him a little support for his efforts in an area of competition almost devoid of Benelli shooters!

I wanted Ljutic to provide Cody with a Ljutic just to see what he could do with a REAL trapgun! So far no interest from them I see a great deal of potential in this young man and think we'll see his name, Cody Thorne, in the winners column in the future. Biff

18. Bustedemall

Bustedemall TS Member

It's irresponsible to post a picture of a shotgun pointed at a person whether WE know it was photoshopped or not.

19. oz

oz Active Member

the pic is not that dangerous, the bolt is locked back, the gun is empty. bad taste though. oz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.