1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone shooting 1 oz. of 7 1/2?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slugbug1, Mar 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

I ran out of #8 shot and only have 7 1/2 available. I shoot 1 oz of #8, 15.7 of clays, Win WAA12SL wad and CCI 209M or Fed 209A primers for 1125FPS.

I never see anyone on here talking about 1 OZ. of 7 1/2. Anyone shooting it? GaryL.

2. alant

alant TS Supporters TS Supporters

Have shot 1oz. loads of 7 1/2 for years. Works great. Alan

3. Basfshmn

Basfshmn Member

4. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

About 60 BB's. GaryL.

5. Hardage

Hardage TS Member

My favorite load of all! Sling them through a mod choke and they will break things out as far as I can see the targets. Have won many times using a 1 ounce load and don't have the headache or flinch caused by the big boy loads.

I am currently using Solo 1000, rem primer, and a DR green 1 oz wad in a AA or STS hull and they are soft shooting but pattern very good. Probably not a published recipe but I stumbled around and tried it and liked it.

When I shoot skeet...and yes I do it for practice not competition...I use 7/8 ounce loads and lately have even had fun playing with 3/4 ounce loads which sound like party favors but break the targets nicely. Not as good as the 7/8 though.

Try a 7/8 load sometime...you will be suprised. AA or STS hull, win209, TGT12 or equivalent, 18 grains of clays or near it.

6. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Neil Winston did some extensive testing of 1 oz. 7 1/2 from 27 yds. and, correct me if I'm wrong, found that even if you're dead center on the target you could still fail to get a break. Is that reason enough not to use them?

Buz

7. bubba68

bubba68 Member

Ok, just in case they aren't fishing and/or there are truly newbies reading this post:

call for target...
    keep eye on target...
    pull trigger...
    follow through...
    watch target break...

Nowhere in that is there anything about shot size. Shoot what you've got - keep shot size out of your head!

8. dhip

dhip Active Member

yes,also 8's,and just started 7.5/9 mix

Doug H.

9. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I've used them for quite a few years with as good results as 1 1/8, although, if I was a long yardage shooter, I would probably use full loads.

Regards....Gerald

10. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

I use one ounce of 7 1/2s with 19.4 grains of Clays. Smokes 'em.

11. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

What I shoot from the 16 yd spot. My load is a little faster (1200fps), it vaporizes short yardage targets through a tight IM choke. No reason yours wont as well. Further back I still shoot Nitros or the equivalent.

12. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

I ran out of #8 shot and only have 7 1/2 available. I shoot 1 oz of #8, 15.7 of clays, Win WAA12SL wad and CCI 209M or Fed 209A primers for 1125FPS.

I never see anyone on here talking about 1 OZ. of 7 1/2. Anyone shooting it? GaryL.

13. alant

alant TS Supporters TS Supporters

Have shot 1oz. loads of 7 1/2 for years. Works great. Alan

14. Basfshmn

Basfshmn Member

15. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

About 60 BB's. GaryL.

16. Hardage

Hardage TS Member

My favorite load of all! Sling them through a mod choke and they will break things out as far as I can see the targets. Have won many times using a 1 ounce load and don't have the headache or flinch caused by the big boy loads.

I am currently using Solo 1000, rem primer, and a DR green 1 oz wad in a AA or STS hull and they are soft shooting but pattern very good. Probably not a published recipe but I stumbled around and tried it and liked it.

When I shoot skeet...and yes I do it for practice not competition...I use 7/8 ounce loads and lately have even had fun playing with 3/4 ounce loads which sound like party favors but break the targets nicely. Not as good as the 7/8 though.

Try a 7/8 load sometime...you will be suprised. AA or STS hull, win209, TGT12 or equivalent, 18 grains of clays or near it.

17. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Neil Winston did some extensive testing of 1 oz. 7 1/2 from 27 yds. and, correct me if I'm wrong, found that even if you're dead center on the target you could still fail to get a break. Is that reason enough not to use them?

Buz

18. bubba68

bubba68 Member

Ok, just in case they aren't fishing and/or there are truly newbies reading this post:

call for target...
    keep eye on target...
    pull trigger...
    follow through...
    watch target break...

Nowhere in that is there anything about shot size. Shoot what you've got - keep shot size out of your head!

19. dhip

dhip Active Member

yes,also 8's,and just started 7.5/9 mix

Doug H.

20. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I've used them for quite a few years with as good results as 1 1/8, although, if I was a long yardage shooter, I would probably use full loads.

Regards....Gerald

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.