1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Shoot Trap AND Skeet Competitively?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bluedsteel, May 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I was curious if anyone here shoots skeet AND trap competitively...that is, they are currently participating in both games at a very serious level? I am not referring to people that shoot both games for leisure, or just for fun once in a while. I am referring to shooters that strive hard for the best average possible in ATA and Skeet registered events.

I am just curious if this is possible or even recommended. I know numerous shooters who started as skeet shooters, rose to the top, then started shooting trap exclusively. But does anyone shoot both games at a serious level?

If so, do you use the same gun for both games? What guns do you use? Do you think shooting both games has slowed down your progress in either game...such as making AA27AA in trap?

Thanks for any replies from those that are trying to accomplish this.

bluedsteel

2. WWB

WWB Member

I tried it once for a year......did ok and moved up a couple classes in all 4 gauges, but--started flinching and skeeters don't like to be around release triggers--at least in this country & I didn't like the fact that at every post if you got 2 or all 4 birds all lined up and you went along and hi fived --every time--every guy who did it.........got old quick!
    Now I find that if I start to use my arms instead of pivoting at the hips a few rds of skeet will loosen me up and I'll start leading properly again.

3. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Right now I am AA - B in Skeet and A - B 20 yard in trap. Shot at Brittnay this weekend had a 380x400. Last year at the IL state shoot had a 392x400 in the HOA event.

Would you say I was competitive, not really in Trap but one can only hope. Set a grand goal of winning a IL State Trap title and IL State Skeet title in the same year.

Ronbo

4. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

About 20 years ago,my son did this. He was very successful at it. Was Indiana short yardage handicap champ,was Illinois out-of-state handicap champ,shot a 392 at the Great Western in Chicago,this was his first 4 gun shoot & it was a very big shoot. All in same summer. Shot 16 99's in a row at both regestered trap & skeet.
    Was Collegiate National Trap Champ.
    Yes,it can be done by a small time person. Good eyes,good guns,lots of desire,lots of $$$$ on practice. Very tough on him mentally,though. He used a Beretta 682 Unsingle & a K-32/Kolar tubes.

5. paul e. stark

paul e. stark TS Member

I only like doing one thing half assed at a time!

6. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

ronbo;

What are some of the difficulties you have experienced with shooting both trap and skeet concurrently? How do you allocate practice time?

Rungun;

How old was your son when he accomplished these feats? How was it tough on him mentally, as you mentioned?

My problem is that I love all shooting sports...but I am willing to limit my shooting to shotgun games at this time in my life...I struggle enough at trap, and love the game, but there are perhaps more winter shooting opportunities around here in skeet...

bluedsteel

7. ESMDHokie

ESMDHokie TS Member

Just collegiate shooting events and collegiate acui nationals. am an ATA member only not NSSA. I'm a one gun shooter so the XT sees action on both fields, and I like trap more obviously. The shooting I do is 72% Trap and 28% Skeet.

Can't really help with your handicap progression question as I shoot ATA minimally and concentrate on my collegiate shooting.

-Phil

8. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

I do not practice much at either, for skeet I try and shoot 4 - 6 practice rounds a few days before the shoot and then 2 - 4 the day of and I am ready to go. For trap my only practice right now is the Thrusday night league at Sparta we shoot 25 16s and 25 20s. I might shoot a round or two of skeet but my time is very limited so I do not get the chance to be really competitive.

I am not the best natural shot in the world, with that said what I can do is be consitent in my foot postion, hold points and focusing my eyes where the target will appear. Keep everything simple, and make smooth conrolled movments to the target establish the lead the target most of the time beaks.

Ronbo

9. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Some years ago (10 to 15?), maybe longer, Wayne Mayes was shooting some trap. I believe he was mostly shooting handicap, and did real good. I don't know if he shot 16 yard and Doubles. I'd guess he would have been real good at Doubles.

10. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Wayne Mayes has

Broke

100x100 .410 bore (183 times)
    100x100 28 GA
    100X100 20 GA
    100x100 12 GA
    250x250 12 GA
    100x100 Dbls Skeet
    100x100 16 yrds
    100x100 Dbls Trap
    100x100 27 Yards (might need to validate that claim with Wayne) he shared that with me during a skeet shoot when I asked him.
    100x100 in international skeet

The man is NOT from this planet! At least Todd Bender claims he is from another world.

Ronbo

11. Nuts

Nuts TS Member

I've shot NSSA Skeet for several years, have been classed AA to B. this year I decided to spread my wings a bit, and am shooting ATA Trap too. I also am shooting our club leagues in both games.

I am having a lot of fun doing both. I will say that I don't practice trap much, and use the practice time and money to focus on Skeet.

I belong to a very nice club, which is both active in ATA and NSSA, so its convient to participate in both, also I know many shooters in each game, so I never feel out of place at a shoot.

Frankly I think Trap has helped my skeet shooting too. And here's why.

In my part of the country there aren't many skeet shoots, so travel is a must to participate on regular basis. Shooting trap allows me to shoot registered targets every week if I chose, thus I get to work on my mental game more, which of course is 90% of shooting.

Also Trap is less expensive, recently shot in a marathon for $128 including options and fees. In skeet that would have been a +$200 day.

I have no misconceptions, and realize I will not set the world on fire in either game, however my goal is to acheive-maintain class A in each game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.