1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone shoot the top barrel first for doubles?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by K-EIGHTY, Jun 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K-EIGHTY

K-EIGHTY Member

My over/under barrels to my K-80 shoot about an 80/20 POI, which is just right for the 1st target in doubles. I would like to get the 2nd shot down to about 60/40 to help get under the 2nd target, as it is often starting to drop by the time I shoot it. I can't adjust the POI on the top barrel of my K-80 without taking extreme measures (in my opinion), so I'm thinking about shooting the top barrel first using 1 oz. B&P's (which have almost no recoil) to limit muzzle jump. I can adjust the POI of the bottom barrel by changing barrel hangers. Has anyone tried this? And if so, how did you make out?

Thanks,

K-EIGHTY

2. chipking

chipking TS Member

I did on my Beretta 682 because of POI differences between the barrels (top was 13" high at 30yd) (bottom was 3" high at 30yd) and also for a while on my Kolar until I got the POIs adjusted to suit me. Thought about doing it on my Caesar Guerini Top Single Combo right after I shot my first 50 birds with the wrong barrel selected for the first shot ;o)

Nothing stopping you from doing it that way except years of tradition.

--- Chip King ---

3. Shawn

Shawn Member

I shoot top Barrel first with my beretta. By combo is a top single and I have a hard time remembering to change the selector. I would try it. I am shooting Federal Extra Lites and don't notice a lot of Muzzle jump.

Shawn

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

My MX3 is designed to shoot Top barrel first. I don't really believe there is any noticeable difference in recoil no matter which barrel you shoot first.

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Every now and then I forget to change the barrel selector on my 682 when going from the sbt to the O/U tubes for doubles. I really can't tell the difference in recoil or much else.

Try shooting the K80 top barrel first and draw your own conclusions.

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I had an old MX-8 Combo, they came with 2 triggers and a second forearm in the combo sets so you didn't have to shoot the top barrel first, then came along selectable triggers ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I had a 682x also that the top barrel shot a lot higher than the bottom, learned my lesson to go to the patterning board at the first hint of a problem rather than fight it for months.

8. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

I do just that, so no reason not to try it, but keep in mind it will take a while to get used to anything you change. Commit to it for awhile and see what results you get. Like the other posters with Beretta O/U's, my patterning experience showed the top barrel shooting higher than the bottom, so I had an excuse for doing it.

Good luck.

D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.