1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Shoot Bunker Trap on normal basis on here?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by billdennis, Mar 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billdennis

billdennis Member

Anyone shoot bunker Trap on a normal basis on this forum?

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

3. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

As often as I can.

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Yes, but nothing about Bunker is normal...

5. billdennis

billdennis Member

What are most of you guys shooting on POI. point of Impact... 50/50, 60-40?
    I shoot alot of sporting but have only shot 30 rounds of bunker and looking to do more late this year. getting ready to order another gun for it.
    i'm 6'4" im looking at a 32" perazzi fixed 28 and 40 top. Just wondering about stock dems. I shoot a DT10L now and it is very flat. I have had several Perazzi's in the past for sporting.
    Can you help me out. I have spoke with a few people and it seems to be between 50/50 and one said 80/20 and all between.

6. Baber

Baber TS Member

Since even the lowest target is always rising I like about half a pattern high at 30 yards but suggest you get anadjustable stock.

Tom

7. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Where in Pennsylvania do they shoot this BUNKER? I seen post on this, I've even chimed in a few times BUT, I have no idea what you guys are really talking about and I'm the type that will try anything and most likely like it. If anyone out east here can point me to it I'd like to give it a try. Don't think I need anything. Have trap and sporting guns. Plenty of shells. Could just use alittle insite. Thanks, Spank.

8. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

60/40 both bbls, IM/F, adjustable comb, shoot aggressive & quickly. best shooting game, IMO

9. billdennis

billdennis Member

There are 2 clubs in eastern PA now and they are adding a 3rd. Also PG county trap and skeet has one in Maryland.go to losttarget.com and look up bunker trap..
    I wish there were more clubs with it. If i get into it like I did sporting I would put one on my farm.

10. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

All of the Perazzis that I have had shoot about 6" high at 40yd with the beads stacked. My presumption is that is how the Italian bunker shooters usually use them and it certainly works for me. The targets are way too fast to look for the right air under them with a high shooting gun for me.

JMO of course

Charlie

11. pufftarget

pufftarget Active Member

My suggestion to you would be to take your current gun and shot several rounds of bunker. It is imperitive that you focus only on the target and forget a gun-target relationship; the gun must shoot where you are looking. Have someone you have confidence in watch the shots for position relative to the target to discern a pattern and adjust the gun accordingly. We all perceive the target differently. I like to see a lot of rib and get the gun out of the way. As such the gun shoots a pattern high, but it works for me.

Also, I suggest you reexamine your idea of looking for a 32" gun vice a 30" gun. Many of the world level shooters are smaller than you but most of the rest of the world, regardless of size, shoot 30" guns.

Chuck

12. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

The Ontelaunee Rod & Gun Club near Allentown, PA has a bunker, as does North Mountain Gun Club near Williamsport, PA

13. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Bunkers that I'm aware in the US and Canada...

http://www.losttarget.com/olympicbunker.htm

14. pdq

pdq Member

After doing some reading on various web-sites, I have a question.

Each of the 5 stations has the 3 launchers in front of it. If I'm on a station, will my targets only come from the 3 in front of me? Or, asked another way, if I'm on station 1, could I get targets thrown from the launchers in front of position 4?

In advance, many thnaks.

Looks like a very fun game. Wish there was one around me.

Pete

15. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Pete, It will come from one of the three in front of you. They are on a fixed trajectory. I'm curious what the target speed is on them. My guess is at least half again as fast as our ATA target. I've only shot a couple of rounds and have found it very difficult. Try it, you'll like it! LOL, Bob

Pete, I just found my answer on the site Joe posted. Up to 110 mph. I hope I didn't read it too quickly before jumping back here to edit my post. I think I may have been behind them!DUH (LOL)

16. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I tried it, easily the hardest of the shotgun sports I have tried.
    Good article link on angles, speed, chokes, etc.

http://www.clayshootingusa.com/html/archive/jan_feb05/An%20exciting%20change%20of%20pace.pdf

Mark

p.s. yeah, I know its a long link..so cut and paste.

17. pufftarget

pufftarget Active Member

With apologies if I'm wrong, but from the targets I've measured and from my conversations with Les Greevy as best I understand him, the target speed is somewhere around 62-64 mph with the slowest being the 2m and the faster the 1.5m and 3.5m. There is also a good explanation of bunker and doubles on Greevy's site and on shooting bunker.com.

A retired AMU member who has shot about all of the shotgun games says bunker is the hardest.

The target comes from one of the three traps in front of that post. The targets are set according to the rule book to one of nine different settings. The controller is programmed to throw 2 rights, 2 lefts, and one center trap target randomly at each station for each shooter so that each shooter gets the same targets as the next during the round. You might also want to look up the rule book on USA Shooting web site.

You have plenty of time to acquire and shoot the target, but you have no time to waste. And you have to have the confidence to pull the trigger the first time the target looks right because if you try to make it look better you had as well stop, unload the gun and save the shell.

Chuck

18. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Hi Chuck, You are probably correct. I got that speed from the site that Joe posted under the video on bunker doubles trap. Some one may have translated the metric specs. and missed that. When I shot them the other day, I asked how fast they were going and could not get an answer. There was just a few shooting it and all about as competent as me.:) Oh well. Shoot well, Bob

Add-edit.
    Thank you Joe Potosky for that link. There's a lot of good information there.Those doubles shooters are sure quick. All good fun, Thanks again, Bob

19. pdq

pdq Member

60MPH is roughly 100KPH, so I think that's where the speed confusion came in.

Not the same, but i have shot random wobble trap where the speed is cranked up to 60MPH, and 1 shot versus 2. I was glad to break 60 - 65% of them. Tough shooting, but lots of fun. I wish more clubs had either wobble or bunker.

Pete

20. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I'm sorry to say.. I only get chance to shoot bunker a few times a year... BUT.. I did win a free lunch.. and C-class with a 17/25 on a very windy day.. The only thing ATA has that comes close to the fun is doubles..Which I also have not mastered..but love the hell out of it..

When I went to Kerrville.. 60/40--50/50 was the POI of choice.. I think the Olympic team knows what they are doing.. Also.. getting totally destroyed by girls younger than my daughter was a real treat.. They make a very difficult games look soooooooooooooooooo easy..

On the upside..if you drop a bird or two.. except at the highest levals..you can still win.. It's NOT an endurance contest.. but one of shooting skill.. A BIG day of bunker is 75 targets..maybe 100 at the most..

If you think.. you've lost.. 99% of your thinking is before you call for the target.. then.. your instincts take over..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.