1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone shoot a XD9?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tcouch, Dec 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcouch

tcouch Member

It’s getting cold out so I’ve been shooting pistols at a local indoor range. I took my Ruger MKIII target and held good groups. When I shot my XD I can’t seem to hold a good group or really hit what I’m aiming for. I realize they are totally different pistols, but the XD seems all over the place. Since I purchased the pistol I haven’t been able to do very well with it. But I will say I haven’t spent very much time practicing with it. I think the next time I shoot I’m going to try an FNP and a SIG 226 just to see.

Does anyone shoot an XD9? Can you hold a good group with it?

Tim

2. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

I have a XD40 V-10. I can't hit what I’m aiming for eather. I think it is just me.

3. emm2

emm2 Member

I have an XD 9 tactical. It is a very acurate gun. I shoot 2" groups at 25 yards. Mine has around 9000 rounds through it and has been flawless so far.

4. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

It takes some practice to get used to the trigger on the XD but they are pretty accurate.

5. tcouch

tcouch Member

I agree with the trigger being different on the XD, which very well could be my issue.Practice, practice, practice.

I dont reload 9mm but I did buy some differnt ammo the other day, so I will head to the range and try it.

Tim

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

You are likely flinching. Simple as that. Shoot if off a rest, or have a good pistol shot try it.

emmn2 may be exaggerating a bit. The XD's will typically not shoot that well and NO ONE is going to shoot 2" groups at 25 yards with one. You should get 3-4" groups at 25 yards. And really that is good enough for a service gun.

My first XD9 would not shoot (6" groups at 15 yards) and I sold it. Bought an XD45 and it shot very well. Bought another XD9 and it also shoots very well.

You can buy kits to improve the trigger ($70-$100).

The XD is my SHTF gun of choice and I have a lot of choices. 17 rounds of 9mm or 14 rounds of .45. All you need to add is a laser, and/or night sights. I installed night sights on the XD45 and a laser on the XD9.

Don Verna

7. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

I have 2, a 3" and 4". The trigger has been tuned, grip tape and hiviz sights makes it shoot better than I am capable.
    I sold a glock 34 because I couldnt hit the floor with it. My friend loves it.
    Probably pick up a highpower next

8. glenns

glenns Member

My wife shoots a XD 9mm in our Action Pistol League. She shoots it fine - she's beat me in 2 of the 3 leagues we've shot in.

9. butcher

butcher Member

Take up the trigger slack then pull the trigger. It really helps accuracy.

10. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I had a XD-9 but didn't like the long trigger reset. I sold it
    and bought a S&W M&P 9mm. What a difference! I love the
    interchangeable grip inserts. The lower bore compared to the XD
    results in less muzzle rise also.

11. Ludmilla

Ludmilla Member

I have a 3, 4 and 5 inch CD9's. They are all very accurate. I use the 4 inch barrel one in a ladies class that I teach ande it shoots straight and the ladies do well with it.

12. likemybrownings

likemybrownings Active Member

I have an XDM40, is the most fun piston I have ever owned,cept for maybe my first,, a browning buckmark 22 target, but I can hit almost anything I am looking at with the XDM, Good Luck and Practice practice. Dave Butzier

13. tcouch

tcouch Member

From the sound of it, I think I’m the issue. I'm not a big fan of the trigger, but I understand why Springfield made it like that. I have considered putting a different trigger bar and sear in it, but I also would like to carry it. I still want it to be safe.

Tim

14. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Keep your finger off the trigger until you acquire the target and it won't make any difference in the trigger pull. I have competition triggers in all of my carry guns.

ss

15. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

All the striker fired guns have mushy long trigger pulls, you can learn to shoot them fine. Those are not target guns anyway. That 22 has a fine trigger and no recoil so you're gonna shoot it better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.