1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone shoot a Remington Model 11?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Em, Jan 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Saw a nice looking D Grade gun with a full length rib and a "factory" Cutts compensator (with choke tubes) at a show for $750. I know nothing of them other than they are similar to the Browning A5.

Does the presence of the Cutts kill the value?

Would it work with 7/8 oz 12 ga loads at 1250 fps or is that too light?

Any comments on this model are appreciated. Sure was a pretty gun

thanks

2. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

In my humble opinion, the Cutts kills the price...no, "kills" is the wrong word. "Mangles" is better.

3. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I was at a once a year charity still board shoot a few years back and a gentleman had a Model 11 "humpback" with a Cutts Compensator on the barrel.

He was using the .680 super full choke tube within the Cutts Compensator and was winnig one of every two or three matches.

Even with the 1 oz. loads of soft shot that were provided by shoot management, he was printing very dense patterns of the 8" x 10" cards with an "X" at 40 yards. No other cards seemed to have the pattern density that his cards had. The shoot went on all afternoon with new shooters replacing those who left.

He was smiling all the way to the bank.

Ed Ward

4. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

The Cutts was one of the first interchangeable choke systems and were very popular for hunting and skeet they worked wonderful. They were however quite loud the only draw back to shooting one. The collectors do not usually want them and I can understand the purest desire to have originality I do also but for shooting or hunting they flat out work.
    Buddy

5. extrapper84

extrapper84 Member

Have had several M 11's they are great hunting guns and are adjustable for

light and heavy loads. Back in the day the Cutts & Poly chokes were called

"Dial-a-Duck".

Not very usable for clays as the throw hulls a long way.

$750. is way over priced even for a D grade. saw one localy for $385. mint.

Hal

6. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I'd love to see that one in my house Hal. My favorite memory of my Fathers 11 was duck hunting one evening as a kid and was having a problem with it ejecting. It kept hanging up and I'd have to remove the hull by hand. When we were through I realized I'd been feeding it 3" mags by mistake. The old gun fine, it was the dimwit on the trigger.

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Killed more mourning doves with one in the 60's than any other gun-even with the cuttoff barrel!!

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

The guns with Cutts do have value contrary to popular beliefs. Anyone who has ever hunted with one knows the difference. I dont think it hurts a model 11 a great deal, some but not much

9. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Gentlemen:

I think the model 11 is sometimes referred to as a 'widow maker'? If someone can confirm that description and knows why, please explain.

Thanks.

sissy

10. ohiomike

ohiomike Member

Sissy, I think the "widow maker" was the 1911 Winchester.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=129442

11. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Bruce, a high condition D Grade has value even with a Cutts, which is very, very, unlikely to be factory. A squareback gun can be made to shoot 7/8 ounce loads, either by setting the rings in the "light" setting and cleaning the gun or cutting the friction rings in half (usually not neccesary). Where are you located? I would like to see the gun.

12. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

Mike,, no the "widow maker" came before the mod. 11, it was named so because the way you "cocked it",,,by pushing the barrel back into the action, sometimes bring it close the the head/face, and it discharging.

Norman

13. ohiomike

ohiomike Member

Norman, you're dead on on the description, but wasn't that the Winchester Model 1911 rather than the Remington Model 11?

14. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

Remington used their tooling to make Browning A5s during and after WWII. They had AB&C prefixes to the serial# A-16ga B-12ga & C-20ga. D Winter

15. 2llc

2llc Well-Known Member

The same Birchwood Casey shell catcher that works so well on the 1100 does the same job on the Model 11. My son shoots one for trap, uses the 1oz loads with Promo powder and has an average of almost 23. The guns work well..... Larry

16. SPORTALLURING

SPORTALLURING Active Member

OhioMike, you are correct... It was the Winchester 1911 self loading shotgun that was known as the widow maker. It has a narrowed band about eight inches from the end of the barrel that you grabbed to chamber...

Sportalluring

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

anybody still shoot a winchester model 1911

remington model 11 load adjustment

remington model 11 with cutts compensator

remington model 11-a shotgun load adjustment with cutts compensator

what to shoot for remington model 11