1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone shoot a model 12 anymore?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by copey, May 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. copey

copey Member

Anyone seriously competitive shoot one anymore? Most I've seen are Target crushers...

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Seriously...as in "well," at the national level? Sure, about two.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    See them at the club all the time. The old guys really like'em.

Myself, I use my Browning 12 in 20ga for upland. Used it for trap when I was between my 870 and 1187. Actually did a pretty good job for singles. But no competition.

4. john g.

john g. TS Supporters TS Supporters

copey

I use one and many Game shooters use them competitively on games they are one of the best.Many shooters use fixed choked guns, some worked on by custom barrel Smiths. But a stock M12 is a crusher with out any work.

John G.

5. Mark-in-Maine

Mark-in-Maine Member

I don't shoot competitively but, my M12 is a target crusher.

6. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

I've shot one with a Wenig stock for about 5 years. Cast off and an adjustable comb make it a real target cruncher, and tame the recoil very well. The atandard stocks with high combs and no cast were brutal on recoil. Choke wise they were excellent, if a little tight for modern loads.

7. missed

missed Member

Just was told a friend shot a 199 today inthe singles at the Mo. shoot with his Y model 12.

8. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Shot M 12's for ATA for years. When 1100's came out,I switched. No more bloody cheeks and bruised shoulders. Greatly improved my shooting. Broke my best scores ever with the 1100. 1,000 consectutive handicap with 90 or better. High 98 with 2 dusted targets.
    Clyde

9. larryx

larryx Member

I bring it out 4 or 5 times a year. Yes I'm an old guy.

10. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I haven't shot a Mod 12 in an ATA Shoot since 1 pm today!

11. Ithaca$$$Grade

Ithaca$$$Grade Active Member

I just picked up 2 of 'em.

At the Minneapolis Gun Club they're having a Vintage Gun Shoot, pre 64 guns, and have a Cutts Class.

One is an original factory Cutts Skeet gun, no choke marking on the barrel and the lug forged on the end of the barrel for the Cutts to go onto and a Skeet WS1 with a Duck Bill vent rib with a Cutts.

I'm going to do my best to wear them both out.

Jimmy Bowen

12. falcon74

falcon74 TS Member

I still shoot my M-12 Trap Pigeon grade for Registered 16 yd and Hndy. I use my Beretta 682 gold Trap for doubles. There's an old saying that goes something like this "Watch out for the old guy with the M-12 , He might know how to use it."
    Ed

13. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

A lot of the great shoooters shot one at one time and they still win a lot of trophies. The new whiz-bang guns with "adjustable everything" and tons of groovey gadgets have eclipsed them for the most part.They were(and still are) target crushing machines! The only trophy I ever won at the Grand was with one. The only draw back is they have quite a bit of recoil and I limit mine to 1 oz. payloads. A word of caution though! I found out early on that if you are at a "meat" shoot where the side bets are common and the "pot" gets interesting and one of those old dudes shows up late with a well worn Model 12 with very little bluing,beware! Because you may be parting with some of your money if you're not careful!

14. RemingtonReloader

RemingtonReloader TS Member

I can name off a few guys at our club that shoot them right off the top of my head. -Aaron Schneider

15. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

There are quite a few guys at my club that show up with a Model 12 now and again on the trap and skeet fields. Used in serious competition? Not hardly anymore around here.

16. harleypilot

harleypilot Member

A model 12 is the only trap gun I have now.

My only other shotgun is a model 97 Winchester 30" barrel, cylinder bore, which I hunt with and shoot skeet with.

And yes, I guess I'm an old guy.

Jim

17. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Most competitive shooters would probably shoot better if they took their old model 12's, and 870's out of their gun safes or closets and shot them. Years ago, serious shooters realized the name of the game was breaking targets instead of attempting to look good and stylish. Don't want to here about the recoil BS.
    Steve Balistreri

18. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I'z got me one 3 inch use it mostly for games now she is a keeper paid for herself years ago and I'm under a 100 years old.

19. Murphy

Murphy Member

Naw, they are junk, so if you have any send them to me.

20. panthers314

panthers314 TS Member

'37 vintage with solid rib...belonged to my uncle....when a kid traded him 150.00 and a Mossberg 500 for it...................shoot it every month....CRUSHER...........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

anyone shoot a model 12 for trap